Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6, My son is a certified personal trainer and has helped me with a lot of the things you have suggested. But so far no ladies have swooned. My son almost swooned when he tried to lift me! He is 5'6" and weighs 190 with only about 2% body fat when he is really working out . He helped train Miss America in his gym. Drinking that much water is hard for me since I drink a lot of coffee and pee it out almost as fast as I put it in. But I do drink a lot of water. Coffee is a hold over from my cop days and I have a problem with leg swelling sometimes, so my doctor said that my coffee was just as good as a diuretic that he would ordinarily prescibe. Without the caffiene I get headaches, but with it I haven't had a headache in 20 years. I went food shopping today and got some soy milk my son recommended and a lot of faw vegies. I like raw vegies and the diet and the doc both said I could eat all of them I wanted. Cooked vegies I can only eat 1/2 cup at a meal. Looks to me like all this diet is is lean meat, vegies, no carbs or very few, no fried foods, emphesis on skinless chicken, broiled or baked fish, very lean red meat in small portions only, no fat cottage cheese and no or low fat everything else. Says I need some fat and oils for my brain function, but very little. Oh, and skim milk. I have all the ingredients so I think I will start fixing several meals and freezing them. I like most of the prepared diet food but some of it really blows. So far so good. Monty

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bird man. And sorry about your Dad, Jeff let me know about it. I lost my Dad nine years ago and not one day goes by that I don't think about him and miss him. But I see him every time I look in the mirror, he left his mark on me! Monty

T

TreasureTales

Monty, I'm pulling for you. Hope you'll keep us up-to-date on your progress. I'm a fat guy, too, and only started to lose weight when I actually paid attention to the number of calories I took in (ate). It was amazing (and alarming) when I took the time to count calories and add them up. Plus I don't get any excercise unless I'm outside and actually doing something, which due to my arthritis isn't happening in cold/damp weather--winter weather. I stiffen up like a tin man when the weather is cold. Hard to move when frozen stiff!! LOL Summer is a different story, I can get out and do stuff that helps burn calories. Keep the faith, Monty, you can do it.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty.... Sounds like having your son their to help motivate you will be a huge advantage for you that a lot of people aren't fortunate enough to have in their favor.

Keep it up and let us know how it is going! :)

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
"So far so good",.... thats great news Monty. Sometimes getting started is the hardest part and you're well on your way to getting your sexy in check.

Now get up each day and strut your stuff like a rooster in his hen house!

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Monty,
Weight loss should be looked at as a lifestyle change. You have to make some permanent changes in your eating habits. That is the tough part, breaking old habits.

One thing that helped me to lose some pounds was to cut out as much sugar as possible. The meant switching from soft drinks and sweet juices to just plane water ( filtered, if possible) I have Reverse Osmosis system to remove choline and impurities.

Also avoid diet drinks that contain aspertame. That is some bad news stuff.

HFC High Fructose Corn syrup is a recent additive to foods. Do some reading on it, it will scare the pants off of you. Cheap, man made sugar sustitue, that has gotten a lot of bad reviews.

I am not a health nut or anything, but taking care of our health should be a top priority.

If you just start off with avoiding foods with sugar in them you will lose weight. Yes, I know there goes the cake, pies, twinkies, cookies, candy etc... After you reach you goal, everything in moderation is the key.

Best of luck on your diet and
Happy Hunting

T

TreasureTales

Ray is right about steering clear of sugar. Whenever I get a hankering for sweet stuff, I'll eat a teaspoon of honey and that puts an end to it.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Monty dont wait i just found out that i have diabetes now weight loss is a must. :)

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Hey Monty...

I'm new here on the forum, but I thought I was the only ex-cop, who is overweight... who gained 30 pounds over the winter... who drinks too much coffee... (I just had a shoulder replacement operation)...

To make a long story short, I just saw my doctor yesterday and he chewed me out BIG TIME! Blood pressure was way up there (I told him it was because of the surgery...that didn't work) I explained that I had been out of work for nearly three months... that didn't work either.

He told me that I was at the age (53) weight (268) and blood pressure (166/90) that I was flirting with a stroke...
He looked me right in the eyes and told me, and I quote, "If you don't lose the weight and bring your blood pressure down, you're going to f...ing die!" Then he asked me if I had any other questions?

I start my diet today... no salt, no sugar, no carbs, no beer ( :'() and 1/2 walk every day... it sucks
and I was just getting used to being called "the old fat guy." at work...

Good luck,

Wayne

B

Big Diggin

Monty,

I hope the diets going well. I'm wishing you the best of luck. I too, am a fat guy. I started dieting eatting healthy March 1. In 2 weeks I have lost 16 lbs. If I can do it, anybody can. No one likes to eat more than I do. I am having some success by eating at Subway. No, I am not Jared. But I'll tell you, if you don't fix it yourself at home & need to grab something while you're out, nowhere is healthier than Subway. I'll keep posting my progress also. Just remember, You're not alone. A lot of us fat guys are getting older and trying to lose weight & eat right. Keep it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread