The BLACK DEATH HAS ARRIVED************

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
yes the same black death that wiped out a large chunk of Europe way back. It was found in a ground squirrel in the San Gabriel National Forrest just outside of LA. The 633 K ac National forrest has been shut down. I think this is the bubonic plague. I think I would forget detecting there today. Frank...

skull etc 013-1-platinum_edited-4.jpg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw that article this morning too! A whole lot of new dangers appear to be coming now - like what is that stomach virus they can't identify yet but which is spreading quickly. Then there's MERS in China!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yes the same black death that wiped out a large chunk of Europe way back. It was found in a ground squirrel in the San Gabriel National Forrest just outside of LA. The 633 K ac National forrest has been shut down. I think this is the bubonic plague. I think I would forget detecting there today. Frank...

View attachment 834143
For cryin' out loud, guys. Plague has been around since the middle ages, or before. It's all over Arizona, New Mexico, and many other states. 20 years ago a guy in Montana got it, and died, after skinning a bobcat. But for all of that, it isn't really common. I hunted and skinned fur-bearers, for years, and never had a problem....that's how little the chances are, of catching the disease. About the same as being struck by lightning...LOL
Jim

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
For cryin' out loud, guys. Plague has been around since the middle ages, or before. It's all over Arizona, New Mexico, and many other states. 20 years ago a guy in Montana got it, and died, after skinning a bobcat. But for all of that, it isn't really common. I hunted and skinned fur-bearers, for years, and never had a problem....that's how little the chances are, of catching the disease. About the same as being struck by lightning...LOL
Jim

That's not the same virus.That one starts with an H, I don't remember the name. This one can be spread by fleas! The animal doesn't have to bite you. It spread so fast in Europe, I think it wiped out about half the population. They might have to burn the forest to stop this one. Frank...

skull etc 013-1-platinum_edited-4.jpg THE BALCK DEATH

Last edited:

UnrepentantSinner

Sep 12, 2012
NW KS
Detector(s) used
Deus, AT GOLD, AT PRO, TM-818, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're pretty glad when the prairie dog towns out here get the plague, wipes them out for awhile, seems to be the only thing to really control them. Happens in cycles thru the plains every 5-8yrs.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's not the same virus.That one starts with an H, I don't remember the name. This one can be spread by fleas! The animal doesn't have to bite you. It spread so fast in Europe, I think it wiped out about half the population. They might have to burn the forest to stop this one. Frank...

View attachment 834148 THE BALCK DEATH
No...they're all spread by flea bites. The plague is the same one that hit the world in the Middle Ages. It just lies quietly in the small animal population...like prairie dogs, ground squirrels, etc. The fleas that carry it can be on coyotes, bobcats, badgers, etc. It's just the odds. Occasionally the plague breaks out in an epidemic. Mostly you see that in Arizona, or New Mexico. It's been controlled fairly quickly in those cases. It could easily become a big deal again, but it isn't new. Don't fall for the hype.
Jim

mtau

Mar 21, 2013
MT
Detector(s) used
gmt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another scare tactic to lock everyone out of the forest????

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

View attachment 834143
Isn't it strange that this NEW danger just happens to show up in the San Gabriel forest where they have been trying to keep prospectors out, and discourage everybody else from using these public lands. Now they come up with this excuse to shut it down.....for ONE freakin squirrel...in 600,000+ acres.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another scare tactic to lock everyone out of the forest????
If it works there, how long before they start doing that everyplace else? Same old government thing...scare everybody into giving up your birthrights, whether it's your constitutional rights, or rights to use public lands....first the fear, than the new, restrictive rules.
Jim

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If it works there, how long before they start doing that everyplace else? Same old government thing...scare everybody into giving up your birthrights, whether it's your constitutional rights, or rights to use public lands....first the fear, than the new, restrictive rules.
Jim

It all boils down to the samething and on par with,be afraid of the terrorists give up your freedoms,though theyre trained and organized and armed by the us gov.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Wonder if the gov employee that found it is still around? Frank... skull etc 013-1-platinum_edited-4.jpg

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol so worried over nothing yet. You k ow the plague,anthrax, and a lot of other mass killers are found in the soil. So next time your digging after that coin what your getting into.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

THE BALCK DEATH

I believe you are referencing the hanta (spelling??) virus. It comes from mice and only involves the waste where they have bedded down or otherwise defecated.

There was a construction worker on a bridge in south Louisiana who contracted it.

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup thats the hantavirus, spread be the white-footed deermouse feces and urine. Two deaths here in Saskatchewan this year blamed on it.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought of this after I posted yesterday. A little girl a few month back maybe a year got the plague from playing with road kill. From the fleas then to. Kinda makes you wonder what your dogs bringing in with those fleas.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
not to worry -- I got my shots during the "gulf war" for both it and anthrax

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
not to worry -- I got my shots during the "gulf war" for both it and anthrax

You might have got a shot for the hantavirus, But I think there is no reprieve from the bubonic plague. Frank

skull etc 013-1-platinum_edited-4.jpg

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
not it was for the plague and anthrax * they were anti germ warfare shots * I was working on a "ammo ship" the SS CAPE ANN --as part of task force 155 --with the USS AMERICA .--THEY ARE NOTED ON MY YELLOW CARD SHOT RECORD.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread