All Treasure Hunting
White pine needles are full of vitamin c and make a good tea

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White Pine is a type of pine tree in the genus, Pinus,...To my recollection, the needles are not poisonous, they may not taste good but the Native Americans used many of them medicineally. But as with anything in Nature, always use caution in what you ingest. Pine, fir, spruce, and ceder, are all favored foods of the whitetail deer, and they are thrieving, and their meat definatly is not tainted by their diet

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
White Pine is a type of pine tree in the genus, Pinus,...To my recollection, the needles are not poisonous, they may not taste good but the Native Americans used many of them medicineally. But as with anything in Nature, always use caution in what you ingest. Pine, fir, spruce, and ceder, are all favored foods of the whitetail deer, and they are thrieving, and their meat definatly is not tainted by their diet
May work for you in your area . They start eating laurel in my area when food is scarce . They tase like crap after eating laurel for a while .
I know of no toxic effects for deer or humans from ingesting pine .

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't have any Laurel in the North Country, bot we do have ceder, and while a much preferred winter, last resort food, the meat has a real strong taste.....spruce and fir really don't flavor the meat at all.......but then again, I've never had bad venison.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might also add, that by tainted, I wasn't necessarily referring to taste, but to the non-toxicity of the venison. Sorry for the confusion......Gary

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It was pine bark,(needles work also, chop fine ,steep ,strain.) tea that ended scurvy after its dropping dozens of men back in Cartiers early 1500s north american winter. He learned of it from natives practicing it for who knows how long.White pine here,5 needle bunches. nibble a few tips where pale at limb attachment point after pulled in winter when sassafras leaf stems are out of season for a flavor.

Last edited:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
40 yrs ago I had a horrible case of the stomach flu & an elder of the local tribe gave me pine needle tea to help. It helped immensely. Also If you lay your tent on a bed of pine needles, it helps keep bugs away, & makes for good insulation.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
White Pine has 5 long needles in each bunch
you can all ways remember this White has 5 letters in it...just sayin!
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread