Remember This

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
warsawdaddy said:
'Cruising down the river,on a Sunday afternoon',how about 'Mairsy Doats'?(and little lambs eat ivy)?

I remember that tune! Don't know the words but remember the tune!

HH 8) surfrat

OP
OP
S

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
txkickergirl said:
Hey I was feeling old until I read this!

I remember gas at .89, cokes .50, and smokes right over $1 with tax

so I guess I ain't that old unless you ask my kids ::)
Young whipper snapper. Sonny

OP
OP
S

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
buscadero said:
I see where Frankie Laine Passed away! I'll always remember him singing the "Rawhide" Theme!

RIP Frankie! Joe
Yeah Joe, its too bad. I liked his songs too. I saw him in person once at the Airmans club in Okinawa. Saw Little Jimmy Dickins over there too. We kept buying him drinks while he was on stage and he was feeling them at the end of the show. I had my picture taken with him. I held my arm over his head to show how short he was. He didnt like that too much. I was feeling my drinks too. Frankie laine will be mised. Sonny

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
REMEMBER:

The Indian head cents in circulation?

The GLASS coke bottles?

The 5 and dime candy?

The songs "build me up buttercup", and "do you believe in magic"?

The old currency?

-CC

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I can remember in the mid to late 50's when it was common to find Early Wheaties & IH's, Buffs, Mercs & Roosies, SLQ's, And a few Barber, but mostly Walkers & Bennies in your everyday change! Then every once in a while, a cashier would STICK YOU with a Morgan or Peace Dollar!

HH Joe

PS. And I never saved a damn one of them!!!! :'(

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
LOL! Comming back to haunt you!

Start saving those memorials cents!

-CC

OP
OP
S

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
buscadero said:
I can remember in the mid to late 50's when it was common to find Early Wheaties & IH's, Buffs, Mercs & Roosies, SLQ's, And a few Barber, but mostly Walkers & Bennies in your everyday change! Then every once in a while, a cashier would STICK YOU with a Morgan or Peace Dollar!

HH Joe

PS. And I never saved a damn one of them!!!! :'(
Same here joe. When I think of all those good coins & I spent them. Man I don't like to think about it. Sonny

OP
OP
S

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Anybody remember the songs, itsey bitsey teeny weeny yellow poka dot bikini, one eyed one horned flying purple people eater? Whatbabout Transfusion? Sonny

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
Mares eat oats..
And does eat oats...
And little lambs eat ivy...
A kid'll eat ivy too..
Would'nt you?

Remember ..I Spy, One potato-two potato, London Bridge is falling down, Ring around the rosie, Mother May I?, Simon Says, Hop Scotch, Marbles, Flipping pennies????

Walking everywhere you went?? Could not afford automobile or bikes...walked to town, to the community center, school, church...teen dance?

Sundays were spent at grandma's house (better be there or else)....fried chicken or her famous chicken and dumplings, homemade cornbread, pinto beans, collard greens(can yall tell I was born in the south?), real mashed potato's, peach cobbler....well hush my mouth, done made myself hongry !!!!

MMMMM, fresh crisp country spring mornings ....the smell of leaves burning in the fall...my most favorite memories, can shut my eyes and see and smell them now....

When you get right down to it, that is really all there is to life...memories, so lets make lots more of them !!!!!!!

OP
OP
S

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Dig, I had forgotten about those games. That southern cooking I sure remember. Good eating. Hey i'm drooling. I remember picnics by the lake. Fried chicken, tator salad, black eyed peas, of course corn bread, any kind of greens. I gotta get something to eat. Sonny

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to 5 cent pop and 2 cent deposits on bottles. I usta' make my spending money picking up pop bottles along the road, much like people pick up aluminum cans now. Every grocery store would pay deposits on bottles and I remember having to sort bottles at my first grocery store sacking job. And type writers that had cent signs. My computer doesn't! Never did like Cokes but drank Dr. Pepper and Grapette, even though you always went "to have a coke", never to have a Grapette. The after school juke box at the corner hamburger joint, ours was called "Kampus Korner." Only the Seniors got to sit down (unless you were a cute girl) and the underclassmen had to stand around feeling awkward or until the Seniors ran you off. Getting to first base, second base, third base and a home run! (A guy thing). There was only one guy that I know for sure consistently hit a home run and you had to put a sack over both of their heads. Me? I didn't kiss and tell but let's just say I was a pinch hitter with the infield fly rule in effect. You can translate that any way you want. ;) Twin screen drive-ins with dollar a carload night. (to discourage sneaking in in the trunk). And.. getting caught sneaking in in the trunk! Banned for life, but the security guy never did remember faces thank goodness. Video games? Not until after high school and "Pong" was the rage. Rock and roll, original rock and roll, the first rock and roll, real rock and roll. "Louie Louie", no one could make out the words so it was bound to be dirty! It was played over and over but no one ever made it out. 45 RPMs, LPs, and later 8 tracks. Fifty cent movies at the Star Theater and it's counter part the Harmony where serials and double features were the norm with two cartoons, usually WWII vintage with Bugs, Elmer, Tweety, Sylvester and politically incorrect, stuttering P-P-P-orky P-P-P-P....Hog, and my favorite Yosemite Sam ya' pesky varmint! Oh and that little Martian Dude. And much more! M-m-m-m-Monty.

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
Is there hope for all of us that grew up being entertained by cartoons books and movies that are now politically incorrect ? It's odd to think that my childhood memories have been outlawed. My wife recently bought 10 DVDs of old cartoons. Not many of them could be broadcast today without some action group howling and filing a lawsuit. It looks like I may be slated for reprogramming if I am not careful.

OP
OP
S

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
OldBillinUT said:
Is there hope for all of us that grew up being entertained by cartoons books and movies that are now politically incorrect ? It's odd to think that my childhood memories have been outlawed. My wife recently bought 10 DVDs of old cartoons. Not many of them could be broadcast today without some action group howling and filing a lawsuit. It looks like I may be slated for reprogramming if I am not careful.
Talk about outlawed. Ever hear of song of the south, a book & movie that was banned a long time ago Its not outlawed in places like England, Germany, Japan, etc. Sometimes you can find copies at flea markets. They are rerecorded so you can play them on our equipment. I can remember seeing it in a theater when I eas a kid. So I bought a copy. It just kinda showed how things were a long time ago. Nothing wrong with it. Goes to show how they try to force us to think like they want us to think. Like the Rebel flag it part of ourhistory. Well I think I had better stop now. Sonny

Potter Poker

Jan 29, 2007
Potter County, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Great stuff, I must say. Those were the good old days...remember getting a baseball signed by the Brooklyn Dodgers (Pee Wee Reese, Jackey Robinson, Don Hoak, and all those guys you know??? ...but I was only 9 or 10 then...so what to do when you have the only baseball to play games with...I remember the writing on that ball and seeing it sail way across the grass lot...and into the creek...sob sob...yeah, tell me about the good old days....

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Anyone else remember the smell of clean sheets or towels brought in fresh from the clothesline? They don't make a dryer sheet that really captures that deeeeeeepp inhale of fresh air-dried towels.

Mom was a musician, so I also got Barney Google (30s or 40s), Iddy-biddy fishies in the great big poo' (pool) - also 40s I think.
Star Dust. sigh. Alley Oop.

Remember the "real" Sgt Bilko? Never could bring myself to watch Steve Martin's version - there was ever only ONE Sgt Bilko!

Car 54, Where Are You?

good memories

thanks,
Nan

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
The first movie I can remember seeing in a theater was a western called The Greengrass of Wyoming. In brand new techni-color and the admission was FREE for under 12 years. Cowboy stars of those days were besides Gene & Roy.
Johnny Mack Brown, Tom Mix, Hoppalong Cassidy, Red Ryder, Lash Larue, Cisco Kid and Cheeko, Lone Ranger. Most had a faithful SideKick and a notable Horse. Most could and would sing. The great 1940's end of WW11 with rationing stamps and Daddys gone away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread