150 Years Ago Today Battle of Chickamauga Began

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AN INCREDIBLE LEGACY

With orders to clear the way for a crushing attack upon the left flank of the Union Army, Confederate generals Bushrod R. Johnson and Nathan Bedford Forrest set out at dawn on September 18th, 1863.* Standing in their way were less than 1,000 Federal cavalrymen and a battery of artillery guarding Reed's Bridge, a vital crossing of West Chickamauga Creek.* Though Forrest's cavalry forced the Yankees to withdraw that afternoon, the fighting at Reed's Bridge cost the Confederates valuable time, allowing the Federal army to concentrate and thwarting Confederate hopes for a swift, decisive action.* The bloodiest battle in the Western Theatre had begun.

The Civil War Trust now has the opportunity to save the site where the Battle of Chickamauga began. According to historian Peter Cozzens, the fighting on this 109-acre tract—which the veterans themselves hoped would be part of the Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Military Park—"determined the course of the Battle of Chickamauga." And, in the words of Ed Bearss, this land is "one of the most significant tracts of ground that the Civil War Trust has saved in a long time."

Help us save Chickamauga!

Help Save Chickamauga 2013

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
History well worth preserving, Thanks for the history lesson TH, great post.

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My G-G-Grandfather, William Thomas Parham, was Major of the 21st Tennessee Cavalry under Forrest at the Battle of Chickamauga. Are you aware of the confrontation between Forrest and Braxton Bragg after the battle? Forrest told Bragg he had acted like a "Coward and a poltroon... if you were any part of a man I would slap your jowls and force you to resent it... you had best not issue me any more orders, and if you do, it will be on the peril of your own life". As Shelby Foote said of Forrest "You're talking about the most man, ever!"

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets