Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scientist' Depressing New Discovery About The Brain

Another title could be, Why some peoples' brains just won't work right! :laughing7:
One author penned it; “Science Confirms: Politics Wrecks Your Ability to Do Math.”

This may also explain, why we have the monetary problems we have, among our powers that be. :icon_scratch:

Scientists? depressing new discovery about the brain - Salon.com

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean they teach that much politics in the public school system????

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the problem with this "scientific" experiment is that the graphs did not seem to display truth. It looks like they gave you false inputs and asked you to find the answers They wanted and needed.

How many people are going to look at a graph or equation, knowing the numbers are wrong, and say "no problem doc, I am glad to go against what I know to be true so that it fits your study"?

"People who said the economy was the most important issue to them, and who disapproved of Obama’s economic record, were shown a graph of nonfarm employment over the prior year – a rising line, adding about a million jobs. They were asked whether the number of people with jobs had gone up, down or stayed about the same. Many, looking straight at the graph, said down.
"
There is another way to view that graph,, that is the propaganda it represents. I wouldn't fare well on any test that let's them urinate on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Unemployment Rate Down As Americans Give Up On Work - Forbes

"The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported unemployment fell to 7.7% from 7.9%, but the drop was at least partially attributable to a decline in labor force participation, Baker says. The employment-to-population ratio (EPOP) was unchanged at 58.6 percent, exactly the same as the rate in February of 2012 and just 0.4 percentage points above the low hit in the summer of 2011. This compares with an EPOP of 63.0 percent in 2007, pre-crisis."

"“This shows the depth of the recent employment recession – worse than any other post-war recession – and the relatively slow recovery due to the lingering effects of the housing bust and financial crisis,” writes Bill McBride of Calculated Risk. McBride also noted that the participation rate was well below the 66% to 67% rate that was normal over the last 20 years, although he pointed out that part of that decline is due to demographics." (assume he meant retirees)

The participation rate is imortant because we can see the dwindling amount of saps paying for the rest. I don't know about you guys, But with 58 % of the country donating and dropping, it should scare the pants off of you donating people. The only way to sustain the fun is to take away your ill gotten gains?

OP
OP
pat-tekker-cat

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hurdle is how our minds work, no matter how smart we think we are.
I was truly hoping, someone, might would take note.........
"Better one conquers self, than if one were to conquer many nations".
Hard to fight the enemy within, when he/she is a total stranger.
I find the brain and it's functioning systems and sub-systems, to be amazing! So many intricate twists and turns, thought patterns and processes, we truly don't even know ourselves, on many levels.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually if the researchers had looked a bit harder they would have found this curiosity about humans has been studied before. It's called cognitive dissonance.
It happens a lot for some people once they commit to a belief they can't, or wont go back to reevaluate their beliefs if new evidence is discovered.
That's why, when confronted with an opposing fact produces rage and gnashing of teeth denial of the facts, clinging to their original assumptions no matter what.
A study of Cognitive dissonance will convince most of the hopelessness of humans accomplishing more than self-destruction.

This is why, if I'm ever caught, I what to be tried by a computer(providing I'm innocent and I am) because I know once a jury person makes up their mind and commits to my being guilty, changing it will be next to impossible.
And yes, it does appear we are ruled by many incompetent sociopaths that suffer from cognitive dissonance and a Napoleon complex.
I'll also bet they all want a red sports car.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the brain and it's functioning systems and sub-systems, to be amazing! So many intricate twists and turns, thought patterns and processes, we truly don't even know ourselves, on many levels.

I am all for that. On the other hand, I didn't see anything about giving subjects hypothetical graphs and asking them to interpret the information only. When the premise starts with political leanings they were shopping for the answer they wanted to get.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Brain/Cognitive Science is just BEGINNING; Vietnam War was when it started in saving ppl; surviving gun shot wounds, other "brain trauma"... YET! Like "Cat" said, so MANY levels of CONSCIOUSNESS, indicated by VARIOUS parts of the brain. The Graph was a JOKE aimed at pre-determined audience. INDEED! Right Brain/Left Brain is MORE interesting...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I am all for that. On the other hand, I didn't see anything about giving subjects hypothetical graphs and asking them to interpret the information only. When the premise starts with political leanings they were shopping for the answer they wanted to get.

Called "leading the witness"...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Actually if the researchers had looked a bit harder they would have found this curiosity about humans has been studied before. It's called cognitive dissonance.
It happens a lot for some people once they commit to a belief they can't, or wont go back to reevaluate their beliefs if new evidence is discovered.
That's why, when confronted with an opposing fact produces rage and gnashing of teeth denial of the facts, clinging to their original assumptions no matter what.
A study of Cognitive dissonance will convince most of the hopelessness of humans accomplishing more than self-destruction.

This is why, if I'm ever caught, I what to be tried by a computer(providing I'm innocent and I am) because I know once a jury person makes up their mind and commits to my being guilty, changing it will be next to impossible.
And yes, it does appear we are ruled by many incompetent sociopaths that suffer from cognitive dissonance and a Napoleon complex.
I'll also bet they all want a red sports car.

MAY reduce EXISTENTIAL ANGST, tho...

OP
OP
pat-tekker-cat

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't there an article, that shows correlations between prejudices, superstitions, and rigidity of mind to iq? (sorry I don't have source at hand, feel free to search)
Almost seems as if insanity is the new sanity for an insane world! Man is addicted to drama, chaos, and his own brain chemicals, and doesn't seem to know why, or even care.

We seem to have lost the ability and knowledge, of how to operate our brains, to allow it to do what it was designed to do(for our well being), that is to keep stress at reduced or acceptable levels. If you do it right, you reduce stress. If done improperly, you increase stress.
If one keeps looking for external forces, to do what is intimate internal functions, then one never has to accept personal responsibility or accountability, and there will always be another to blame for it all.
The world is FULL of devils, haven't ya'll noticed! :laughing7:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
We seem to operate our brains on both individual level and as a collective consciousness. The play Cabaret showed that the world goes crazy once in awhile.
Not accepting responsibility can be seen at any lynching, gang banging, or bad evil corporate decisions.
IQ is a whole other deal. Our prejudices and superstitions are hard wired but they can be over ridden by our will and effort. We can think our way out of them or at least minimize their effect.
An experiment in a University using electric shocks showed people overwhelmingly will follow orders if someone else takes responsibility. This experiment might be ez to find and makes good reading.
Not sure how e survived so long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread