**** THE VIRUS GUARD*****

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well I always wondered about those programs, and now I know. My tower, which is a high line computer I only use for image processing, came with Norton virus protection. The computer does not go on line. Every once in a while it tells me it has found a problem or problems and taken care of them. Well it expired and it request $45 for renewal. It kept putting up notices that it expired and finally just about locked up the computer. I had to shut it down, reboot and quickly dump the program. It is just fine now. So now I am wondering if these programs are in fact real. Are they just telling you occasionally that they are fixing imaginary flaws and hitting you up for more money?
I realize other problems can slow the computer so I am getting Fix-it utility professionalv14 from Ohio Distinctive Software at a cost of $15. Any one tried it? Frank...

111-1 profileblk.jpg

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using AVG for years and it is free with daily updates. ..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For once I'm with TH. AVG is better than Avast in my opinion.

And if you ever try to remove Avast, it's harder to get off your computer than any of the viruses it supposedly protects you from. I found Norton and McAfee nearly as bad.

I run AVG with it turned off, because it slows my computer WAY down. I turn it on to run scans, then turn it off again. Be wise in your online practices and you'll avert 99.9% of problems anyway.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Go to Avast, download their removal tool, run it, and Avast's COMPLETELY gone --- unlike Norton which takes manual editing of the registry.

I have numerous computers I oversee, service, build, etc. I have used AVG on some with mixed results. Doesn't update often enough for me. Since you woke and replied to this thread, hundreds or perhaps thousands of new viruses have been hatched. Some days there are 5,000 new viruses created in a 24 hour period.

Avast updates on my computers every hour, except for my gaming machine which updates on startup and on demand.

If you want to see something that doesn't uninstall, try Panda. Great product, but you have to let their tech on your machine to completely remove it unless you want to do a full format and reinstall of your OS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread