Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it hurts to give food to most people that are begging but that's just my opinion. I'd still rather waste a little bit of money on food for someone who doesn't need it then pass up someone who does on the off chance they are trying to con me out of a sandwich.

Well, respectfully,, giving food is something I am more apt to do. Money is something else. A credit card # Magnetic stripe and all of the info that goes with it( usually it needs your address too now) is a little bit, no, a lot, crazy. Credit fraud anybody?

cherrypicked

May 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, respectfully,, giving food is something I am more apt to do. Money is something else. A credit card # Magnetic stripe and all of the info that goes with it( usually it needs your address too now) is a little bit, no, a lot, crazy. Credit fraud anybody?

Lol I would never give my card to someone. That's insane.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always have half dollars in a tray and sometimes give more then a few away. But lately I;v noticed vans with out of state plates dropping off pan handlers off at some of the busy intersections sometimes there are 3 to 4 of them in the mediums. I used to drop off warm cloths at the homeless shelter but stopped almost every dude had a cell phone or cigarets. From now on I'll just hand out the White House Phone # .And a Quarter.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to really feel it. I went to the Shine Circus with my family and while leaving the Target Center in Minneapolis I saw a man sitting on the curb with bongo drums. He looked really down and out. He was not playing the drums. Something inside told me to help this man, I know it was spiritual for me. I bent down and asked the guy if he knew who Jesus is, he said yes. I put a one hundred dollar bill in his hand and said "that is from him" - That dude started playing the bongo's like John Bohnam. That hundred dollar bill was from a ring find reward I had found early that day.

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a guy approach me in a Kmart parking lot once. Said he needed money for a prescription med for his daughter and could I help?
I said, absolutely!
He held out his hand.
I said "You bring your scrip to the window of the pharmacy in the store, and when it's filled, I'll pay it."
He said "Um...okay...I gotta get my prescription." He walked off around the corner of the store and did not come back.

Since then I do not give money no matter how good the story.

We will, however, (My wife's idea) give food. Because everyone's gotta eat, good or bad and it can never be misused.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Here what you do Dave just in case you see her again,Prepare a roll of pennies for her ahead of time,super glue them all together.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think it hurts to give food to most people that are begging but that's just my opinion. I'd still rather waste a little bit of money on food for someone who doesn't need it then pass up someone who does on the off chance they are trying to con me out of a sandwich.
I don't think it hurts to give a little money every now and then either cherry picked but if you see signs you're being taken,well its my money and my right to give or not give.I cook at a soup kitchen once a month and I know all the recipients aren't necessarily on their last dollar( in fact some random construction workers have come to eat there,its so good) but I serve with an open heart.There is a newspaper publication put out by homeless people in Nashville and occasionally I will give to someone who is selling them.I resent being judged by some here that don't look at the whole picture and take one part of an equation and slap a label on me.

Last edited:

cherrypicked

May 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry you took it that way. I wasn't judging or labeling. I was pointing out that by giving food instead of money it's harder to get taken advantage of.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cherry picked I wasn't referring to you being judgmental at all,was referring to a passive aggressive comment made prior,not necessarily aimed at me but I addressed it.I think giving food gift certificates even is a great way to help the homeless out .I just think that being discerning isn't necessary a bad thing.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont help the scum that is out on the streets begging for money....the sad thing is they seem to be gettign younger and younger...and it has nothing to do with the ecomony, its more Drugs and laziness. I run into them while im detecting and they always ask me for change...i have NO problem saying. " Do you think I would be digging for Pennies if i have extra money?"...Bums are a cnacer where i live...No pateince for them

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Do to others as you would want them to do to you..for you never know in life, when fate may leave you on a corner looking for food.

That being said, I am a sucker for humanity, if you are cold I'll give you my jacket off my back in the dead of winter.
Charity comes in many forms, if I see any old person shoveling snow or mowing their lawn, I always stop and ask them if they would mind if I did that chore for them..it is just the way I am built.
I believe strongly in karma.
Have I even been spoon fed lies by liars ? Sure lots of times
The first time in my life many years ago that a man laying on a sidewalk asking for money for food, I was headed into the county clerks office in Detroit, I gave him 10 dollars because he was starving, 30 minutes later when I came back out he was sitting there drinking some hooch, I asked him I thought you were hungry ? He just smiled, I told him he should have just told me the truth, I'd still gave him the money.
So I went and bought him a sandwich and went back and gave it to him, I told him that I do not judge others, but telling lies that one day you will stand before GOD to be judged and being a liar..well

Mike

krbtrans

Greenie
May 4, 2011
My uncle being homeless to an extent has other friends that are homeless. They actually travel a circuit so to speak around the u.s. at different times of year to different hot spots that pay great. They make over $80,000 a year.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few that need the help. But here in Florida they sell permits to panhandle and like some have said here they make more than most. Some won't take food they only want the money. It like some of these charity's only a small percent of the money goes to the people in need. my wife ran a food pantry and store which feed alot of needy and children there is always the percentage that don't need it. She was offered a job by one those other kind of charity's which she could of made a lot of money because only five cents on the dollar goes to the charity. Needless to say she would take the job she doesn't believe in take. Just my two cents Beware

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read a clip that said there are 18 million foreclosed or vacant homes in the U.S. That's enough to give every homeless person 6 of them. Some may need some tender loving care so this year instead of $$$ I'll be handing out free tools. I'll still do food but no more handout $$$

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a mid 30s woman approach me while I was pumping gas near a big highway. She says, "Sir, can you help me and my daughter, my husband is abusive and we have finally decided to run, can you buy us a tank of gas?"

So I says, "Absolutely, pull up behind me and we will fill you up next on the credit card. (which I was more than happy to do). Then she gave me a sneer and practically growled, "Can't you just give me 20 bucks".

...Right.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a mid 30s woman approach me while I was pumping gas near a big highway. She says, "Sir, can you help me and my daughter, my husband is abusive and we have finally decided to run, can you buy us a tank of gas?"

So I says, "Absolutely, pull up behind me and we will fill you up next on the credit card. (which I was more than happy to do). Then she gave me a sneer and practically growled, "Can't you just give me 20 bucks".

...Right.

Just remember to give her a card with the White House phone # on it.

Markomyt1

Dec 1, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom III
AT PRO Woot!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We carry plastic bags with some food, water, toothbrush kit, some deodorant, and a Gideon bible.
Most seem pretty appreciative.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread