onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I found out on the box's they say 10,000 hr's of use (Not true) I always save the box and when they blow out I put the bad one in , take it back and they give me a new one.

Question when you flip the switch does the bulb emit light or suck in black?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'll have to buy a Bunch of 100 & 200 whaters this month yet

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You hit right NHB - I actually have a nice ceiling fan / light in my bedroom. One of the bulbs went out, I tried to put a fluorescent one in and the cover would not fit. This ceiling fan is only a few years old and a couple hundred bucks. So now what? I feel for the people who have a bunch of these types of fixtures in their homes.

Go to the bank and make a loan and buy LED bulbs. Same size but app.10X the price. lol Frank...
PS: Walmart has the lowest price on LED bulbs. hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Ben
I Find that in the two spot lights 75 watt LEDs i have in the back of house have lasted the longest, but come on very slowly.... so in the winter, i change back to incandescent bulbs,
I`m way out in the woods and some times need the spotlights fast but if i can save some money that would be cool been using then for years ...just don`t look at the bills much.
Gary

Leds come on quicker than old style. Florescence bulbs come on s l o w l y in a cold environment. FYI Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Let me sum it up.
LED bulbs use less power than any other bulb.
LED bulbs come in sizes that are the same as old style bulbs.
LED bulbs come in at least two color tints, warm which are about (3000K) close to old style, and cool about (5000K) which are closer to sun light.
LEDs are usually compared to old style light output, like = to 60W

The lowest price I have seen is at Walmart, closely followed by Home Depot.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The compact florescent bulbs, get hot at the base where the transformer is and don't last long. They also die slowly and light out dims with age. They do not preform well in a cold enviroment. They are not as economical as LEDs.

Yea, I worked in electronics for over 40 years. I have worked with LEDs since they came out. Usually the small red ones. I have never seen a LED burn out, except when fed higher than rated voltage. Just my experience in the field. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh...And for the record as I have stated aloud, as I am sure that maybe some of ya'll have heard...My Father wants me to put this in writing For The Record...My Father would like ya'll to know that ya'll had better cease and desist in ya'lls search for his diamonds and platinum...Ore...Ore...OR ELSE!!!

Like I said...My Father wanted me to put it in writing for ya'll...So that ya'll can not claim ignorance as a defense...hehehe

Ed T:laughing7:

What?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Of course, with the norther polarcap gone (Algore said it would be gone in 5 years on Dec 15, 2008 so it must be gone) now we will save the world by adding mercury to our homes.

Instructions for removing broken CFL bulb & their waste. Enjoy.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Chad......Take it easy on good ole Al. If it wasn't for him creating the internet and all, we wouldn't be able to connect to this great site.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Oh...And for the record as I have stated aloud, as I am sure that maybe some of ya'll have heard...My Father wants me to put this in writing For The Record...My Father would like ya'll to know that ya'll had better cease and desist in ya'lls search for his diamonds and platinum...Ore...Ore...OR ELSE!!!

Like I said...My Father wanted me to put it in writing for ya'll...So that ya'll can not claim ignorance as a defense...hehehe

Ed T:laughing7:
Please refrain from posting after having too much eggnog. Thanks.. :thumbsup: ps.. overuse of the term ya'll.. 5 yard penalty.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey Chad......Take it easy on good ole Al. If it wasn't for him creating the internet and all, we wouldn't be able to connect to this great site.

Al "You're ALL gonna pay for me losing to Bush!" Gore is nothing more than a joke.

BTW, good thing I've been buying all the old coal oil lamps I could find ... not nearly as toxic as the mercury in them squiggly bulbs.

I actually bought one of them a few years ago ... and when it "exploded", it left little bits of mercury swirling around in the glass that sat under the bulb. Not big, but you could tell it was quicksilver by the way it moved. Haven't used one indoors since.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Just some silly rants...TheCoinKid...Have any of ya'll read Zephaniah Chapter 1??? Oh...Another 5 yard penalty for the use of ya'll...HEHEHE

I must be going nuts due to Platinum Fever...But My Father wants me to state this for ya'll, for the record...Wouldn't it be funny if I am the second olive branch, also know as the anointed one???

I told ya'll that I am going nuts...LOL Oh well...

Ed T
The thread about the effects of eating lead paint is over there --------> Hope this helps. :thumbsup: Does mom know that you & dad are drunk & playing on the internet ?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
People overreact about many things, this included.

If I ever broke a CFL bulb, I wouldn't even bat an eye... Not a big deal.

Cleaning Up a Broken CFL | Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) | US EPA
Yeah clearly the new bulbs are much better than the old style.. If you break 2 at the same time are you required to call the State Police Haz Mat team ? :thumbsup:??? Quote.. "
  • Have people and pets leave the room.
  • Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
  • Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
  • Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb:
    • stiff paper or cardboard;
    • sticky tape;
    • damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces); and
    • a glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.
During Cleanup

• DO NOT VACUUM. Vacuuming is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. Vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor.
  • Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder. Scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard. Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag. See the detailed cleanup instructions for more information, and for differences in cleaning up hard surfaces versus carpeting or rugs.
  • Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011