Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just something to think about......

There are many people in today’s world that want nothing to do with helping other people. Their thought is, “why should I go out of my way to help them with the problem that they are facing? It has nothing to do with me.” Well, sometimes this decision can come back to affect them. The story today clearly illustrates why, sometimes, we should go out of our way to help others.

A mouse looked through the crack in the wall to see the farmer and his wife open a package. What food might this contain? The mouse wondered – he was devastated to discover it was a mousetrap. Retreating to the farmyard, the mouse proclaimed the warning: There is a mousetrap in the house! There is a mousetrap in the house!

The chicken clucked and scratched, raised her head and said, “Mr.Mouse, I can tell this is a grave concern to you, but it is of no consequence to me.”" I cannot be bothered by it.”

The mouse turned to the pig and told him, “There is a mousetrap in the house! There is a mousetrap in the house!” The pig sympathized, but said, I am so very sorry, Mr. Mouse, but there is nothing I can do about it but pray. “Be assured you are in my prayers.”

The mouse turned to the cow and said “There is a mousetrap in the house! There is a mousetrap in the house!” The cow said, “Wow, Mr. Mouse. I’m sorry for you, but it’s no skin off my nose.”

So, the mouse returned to the house, head down and dejected, to face the farmer’s mousetrap alone.

That very night a sound was heard throughout the house — like the sound of a mousetrap catching its prey. The farmer’s wife rushed to see what was caught. In the darkness, she did not see it was a venomous snake whose tail the trap had caught. The snake bit the farmer’s wife. The farmer rushed her to the hospital, and she returned home with a fever. Everyone knows you treat a fever with fresh chicken soup, so the farmer took his hatchet to the farmyard for the soup’s main ingredient.

But his wife’s sickness continued, so friends and neighbors came to sit with her around the clock. To feed them, the farmer butchered the pig.
The farmer’s wife did not get well; she died. So many people came for her funeral, the farmer had the cow slaughtered to provide enough meat for all of them.
The mouse looked upon it all from his crack in the wall with great sadness.

So, the next time you hear someone is facing a problem and think it doesn’t concern you, remember…..the mouse in the house.

OP
OP
pat-tekker-cat

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WT, I heard it said; Let the dead bury the dead.
There is still, a sadness within it.......

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Theres a sadness in people that are so blind that they cant see whats in plain sight.Even if you took them by the hair and shove their nose right up against it,they still cant see it.I dont think theres anything much more sad than that.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Just something to think about......

There are many people in today’s world that want nothing to do with helping other people. Their thought is, “why should I go out of my way to help them with the problem that they are facing? It has nothing to do with me.” Well, sometimes this decision can come back to affect them. The story today clearly illustrates why, sometimes, we should go out of our way to help others.

A mouse looked through the crack in the wall to see the farmer and his wife open a package. What food might this contain? The mouse wondered – he was devastated to discover it was a mousetrap. Retreating to the farmyard, the mouse proclaimed the warning: There is a mousetrap in the house! There is a mousetrap in the house!

The chicken clucked and scratched, raised her head and said, “Mr.Mouse, I can tell this is a grave concern to you, but it is of no consequence to me.”" I cannot be bothered by it.”

The mouse turned to the pig and told him, “There is a mousetrap in the house! There is a mousetrap in the house!” The pig sympathized, but said, I am so very sorry, Mr. Mouse, but there is nothing I can do about it but pray. “Be assured you are in my prayers.”

The mouse turned to the cow and said “There is a mousetrap in the house! There is a mousetrap in the house!” The cow said, “Wow, Mr. Mouse. I’m sorry for you, but it’s no skin off my nose.”

So, the mouse returned to the house, head down and dejected, to face the farmer’s mousetrap alone.

That very night a sound was heard throughout the house — like the sound of a mousetrap catching its prey. The farmer’s wife rushed to see what was caught. In the darkness, she did not see it was a venomous snake whose tail the trap had caught. The snake bit the farmer’s wife. The farmer rushed her to the hospital, and she returned home with a fever. Everyone knows you treat a fever with fresh chicken soup, so the farmer took his hatchet to the farmyard for the soup’s main ingredient.

But his wife’s sickness continued, so friends and neighbors came to sit with her around the clock. To feed them, the farmer butchered the pig.
The farmer’s wife did not get well; she died. So many people came for her funeral, the farmer had the cow slaughtered to provide enough meat for all of them.
The mouse looked upon it all from his crack in the wall with great sadness.

So, the next time you hear someone is facing a problem and think it doesn’t concern you, remember…..the mouse in the house.

That was good and had me guessing how you were going to tie it all together.
But my view is slightly different.
I raised 5 adopted children, mostly after my wife passed away and I have served 8 years in the Army. So I figure all my dues are paid.
However I do endeavor to help my fellow humans when a true need is seen and I possess the knowledge.
Just my view, Frank...
rose on ice 700 this one.jpg

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That was good and had me guessing how you were going to tie it all together.
But my view is slightly different.
I raised 5 adopted children, mostly after my wife passed away and I have served 8 years in the Army. So I figure all my dues are paid.
However I do endeavor to help my fellow humans when a true need is seen and I possess the knowledge.
Just my view, Frank...
View attachment 913287

God Bless you Frank,you are a desent Human Being.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I met a few of them:laughing7:when I lived in NH.I worked in the county old age home.All the drugs they doped them up with didnt help any I imagine.Talk about sad,most of em were zombies.Doped them up just to get rid of them.Pissed me off something fierce.

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an example of a fable.

Fables are age old attempts to craft a story that will illicit a particular outcome in the reader; either an action or a mindset.

"A fable is a succinct fictional story, in prose or verse, that features animals, mythical creatures, plants, inanimate objects or forces of nature which are anthropomorphized (given human qualities such as verbal communication), and that illustrates or leads to an interpretation of a moral lesson (a "moral"), which may at the end be added explicitly in a pithy maxim."

Fable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So although a fable may be emotionally compelling, there is nothing in fables that proves that what the "moral" claims is true. So maybe what affects one of us does not affect us all. That statement is a little like "It takes a village to raise a child" or "We have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents, or kids belong to their families, and recognize that kids belong to whole communities.”

The proposition that " What Affects One Of Us, Affects Us All" may be true or not. But following that proposition up with this fable does nothing to prove that proposition. It simply tugs at our emotions.
There may be cases where the story plays out, and there may be cases where it does not.

Therefore we should all be skeptical of sweeping general statements that are justified by fables.

Peace.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Fables are age old attempts to craft a story that will illicit a particular outcome in the reader; either an action or a mindset.

"A fable is a succinct fictional story, in prose or verse, that features animals, mythical creatures, plants, inanimate objects or forces of nature which are anthropomorphized (given human qualities such as verbal communication), and that illustrates or leads to an interpretation of a moral lesson (a "moral"), which may at the end be added explicitly in a pithy maxim."

So although a fable may be emotionally compelling, there is nothing in fables that proves that what the "moral" claims is true. So maybe what affects one of us does not affect us all. That statement is a little like "It takes a village to raise a child" or "We have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents, or kids belong to their families, and recognize that kids belong to whole communities.”

The proposition that " What Affects One Of Us, Affects Us All" may be true or not. But following that proposition up with this fable does nothing to prove that proposition. It simply tugs at our emotions.
There may be cases where the story plays out, and there may be cases where it does not.

Therefore we should all be skeptical of sweeping general statements that are justified by fables.

Peace.

No fable,

Your born with or not,

figure it out man.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Peace.

You mean like "You can keep your insurance, doctor and hospital?" lol Frank...
111-2 700 head of old man.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
After thinking about this, the movie,"The Butterfly Effect" comes to mind. Frank...
6 06-1 Yellowstone 119-2.jpg

OP
OP
pat-tekker-cat

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cow should have just stomped on the mouse, mice suck.:laughing7:
That made me LOL! LOL!
Yeah, I know, my neighbor had us over run with mice once. I killed over 60 in a 30 day period! One day, I actually caught 11 on 1 trap, all with the same bait.

Even if the cow hadda stomped the mouse, the farmer or his wife would have had no way of knowing, and would have still had that trap baited, (I would think, I can't know for sure, but logically thinking.......) :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I think my mice are smarter than yours were. I built a 4 trap setup and baited it. They take the bait and trip the traps and vanish. I am beginning to suspect they aren't mice. Hay, I live on an old farm, there are always mice and rats. The outside cats take care of there territory. They drop off the deceased at my door. The pitt bulls are learing something is in here and sniff around a lot, but they are not in that area of the house at night. I think i may need a bigger trap! Perhaps a bull python! Frank...
111-2 the catnapper.jpg

OP
OP
pat-tekker-cat

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn,
the trick is to keep the bait on the trap, so they can't just take it.
I do this by taking an old pantyhose and putting the bait in the bottom, knot, cut it away(like stringing onions). The bait usually consists of peanut butter and some salmon or fish juice mixed with it.
I take a needle and thread and "sew" it onto that little lever. This way they have to pull and tug, then SNAP!
Works for me every time. If you are over-run and on a farm, you'll probably need to do the 50 gallon barrel trap. That is effective also, but you have to feed them for 4 or 5 days, until you remove the plastic covering.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread