OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I owned a large old 2 story home in MI. with VERY steep roof pitch. Needed new roof. I stripped off the FIVE roofs and re-decked the entire thing with 1/2 plywood. My buddy and I used a small nylon rope to tie ourselves off with which went over the peak to the truck bumper on the other side. I just had my dad move and pull the truck up as we went up roof. So after the decking and tar paper were on we started to install new shingles. Now while the roof was very steep the new shingles gave "good" grip on my tennis shoes. So after we were up about 5-6 ft. we were able to turn around and really go to town installing some shingles. I didn't need the slack taken up on the rope. So we were maybe 6 ft. from the peak and had covered about 20 ft. of roof and I slipped and went down hard. As I slid down the roof fast it amazing what you think of fast. I knew I was tied off but I was still terrorized. I did NOT want to put that rope to the "test". Man did it hurt when I hit the end of that small diameter rope around my waist. My buddy quickly took the slack up on his.

I was thinking of something pretty horrifying in itself,what if somebody came along and boosted your truck.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Red try doing a church raise sometime 50 ft straight up 2 guy's on stay poles 2 guys on ropes to steady it them go up. If you have ba11s you can go over the top and down the other side. a scary training tool on the fire Dept. Or look up a pompeer ladder. If you haven't climbed one of those you haven't lived

I painted a church before.I left the high parts for the idiot boss to do his thing,be an idiot.He doesnt pay me enough so I refuse.You havent seen stupid until youve seen this guy.Example,Tying a 14 foot ladder on to the top of a forty foot ladder.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking of something pretty horrifying in itself,what if somebody came along and boosted your truck.

Well I did think of that when we were looking for a tie off spot and couldn't find one and had to use the truck. Every time my dad moved the truck I'd go to the peak and sit and make sure he took the keys back out. I'll take my chances with the 2 story fall before the truck jacking.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll take my chances with the 2 story fall before the truck jacking.

Yup definitely,it wouldnt of been pretty and would of felt even worse.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are scaring me. They make roof anchors and harnesses especially for such a fiasco. But you know what works reeeeally well? A repelling harness. I love mine,, give an extra foot or two and you are going after it. You can turn around and point downhill near the eaves, And then you can repel off the house when you are done. Really works well if you are doing metal roofs with a steep pitch!

Good luck in your endeavors!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the article, the young man who died "loved his $10 an hour climbing job." He left behind two small children. I don't like stepping up on a CHAIR.

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Respectfully, I read it too.. and the article is HIGHLY suspect.. Here is an excerpt for you-"Climbers typically earn $10 or $11 an hour, yet some subcontracting companies demand they pay for their own safety gear, deducting money from their paychecks."

Bald faced lie. I knew a guy in the early 80s that made well above that to replace light bulbs on towers. He may have been 21 and made about 5 times as much as any of his friends. I worked in the oilfield and made well over that too. Hazardous jobs get hazardous pay, The article is full of misinformation. It helps to build a wall between the perceived downtrodden workers and the greedy businesses.

People fight for those jobs! I don't doubt people die,, But the article is trying to sway your opinion.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, you're probably right. The $10 per hour as stated in the article doesn't seem believable, just like Obamacare!

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This isnt the news clip I saw but it gives you an idea.One screw up is all it takes.

Months-long construction and 17 second destruction of the 1,975 foot Senior Road TV and FM tower near Houston in 1982. NOTE: seven people lost their lives during this accident. May not be suitable for some viewers. SEQUENCE: Huge tower base is raised. Tower is completed and put into operation with temporary antennas. Top-mount panel antenna arrives and is raised in two sections. Camera rides first section. Second section is midway up when two lifting U-bolts break, dropping the antenna and workers onto guy wires below. Camera captures one of the guys being severed, which dooms the tower. Camera falls to ground and records reflections in a pool of water of the remaining guy wires falling, just before the main body of the tower strikes the ground at 17 seconds, causing the video break-up. The bit of audio is the camerman's reaction to the event beginning. Segment is repeated in slow motion, also showing a section of a four inch guy cable nearly decapitating the camerman, who drops the camera. When he retrieves it and resumes, the huge tower base is show on the ground Surviving crewmembers rush in to search for victims. The crushed KTXH building, which was in operation, is shown. Rescuers arrive. The debris field is shown.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Heres another nice climb for yeah.

Climbing the stick.

Published on Mar 5, 2012

1,700ft climb to fix a failing L.E.D. flash head. 38 degrees, 5-10 mph wind speed(very nice). No elevator(not very nice).

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hazardous pay doesn't pay well enough to get me above 90 ft.. When I worked derricks in the oilfield I was a wreck.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, I don't care much for heights up to 50k. above that it's kinda like a dream

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just limit your work to 50k and above ( just like watching a movie)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread