Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Gun owners beware: Man pulled over, harassed for having permit but no gun

Michael Dorstewitz
Biz Pac Review
January 16, 2014

Those who support the Second Amendment rights often get harassed — even when they’re not exercising those rights. It happened to a Tampa-area businessman recently, and it wasn’t pretty.

John Filippidis lives the American dream on Florida’s Gulf Coast. He built a business, raised a family and plays by the rules. He also has a concealed-weapon license, and he often uses it, according to The Tampa Bay Tribune.

“I wanted to be able to defend my family, my household and the ground I’m standing on,” he told The Tribune. “But I’m not looking for any trouble.”

Filippidis decided to keep the gun home, locked in the safe, when the family took a road trip to New Jersey to celebrate Christmas and attend a wedding.

The visit went as planned. The family’s return to Florida was another matter.

Shortly after entering Maryland with his wife, Kelly, and three teenage girls, Filippidis noticed he was being checked out by an unmarked police car. The car would follow for a bit, pull slowly ahead, then fall back again behind the family’s 2012 Ford Explorer.

“Ten minutes he’s behind us,” Filippidis said. “We weren’t speeding. In fact, lots of other cars were whizzing past. We keep wondering, is he going to do something?”

When the family was pulled over, they discovered they’d been bird-dogged by the Maryland Transportation Authority Police.

Ten minutes after an officer took Filippidis’ license, registration and proof of insurance to his patrol car, he returned the documents, ordered him out of the vehicle and told him to hook his thumbs behind his back and spread his legs.

“You own a gun,” the officer said. “Where is it?”

“At home in my safe,” Filippidis replied.

The officer told him to stay put, then returned to the Explorer to check with Kelly Filippidis.

“Your husband owns a gun,” he told her. “Where is it?”

She wasn’t aware that he’d left it home, and told the officer it could be anywhere — in the glove box, in the console — she just didn’t know. The officer walked back to Filippidis, who was still standing spread-legged between the SUV and cop car.

“You’re a liar,” the officer said. “You’re lying to me. Your family says you have it. Where is the gun? Tell me where it is, and we can resolve this right now.”

Right about this time, one has to ask, How did they know he was a gun owner? And why was he stopped in the first place?

The officer called in backup and spent the next two hours searching the Explorer and its contents. Probable cause of what? Legally possessing a firearm?

“All that time, he’s humiliating me in front of my family, making me feel like a criminal,” John Filippidis said. “I’ve never been to prison, never declared bankruptcy, I pay my taxes, support my 20 employees’ families. I’ve never been in any kind of trouble.”

With a sense of frustration, he told The Tribune: “And he wants to put me in jail. He wants to put me in jail. For no reason. He wants to take my wife and children away and put me in jail. In America, how does such a thing happen? … And after all that, he didn’t even write me a ticket.”

According to The Tribune:

Now, despite having fielded apologies from the officer’s captain as well as from a Maryland Transportation Authority Police internal affairs captain, John is wondering if he shouldn’t just cancel his CCW license.

For a guy who’s not looking for trouble, that’s not an unreasonable conclusion. And it would please fans of gun control by any means. But let’s hope John Filippidis, American family man, taxpayer and good guy, doesn’t cave, because it would be a sad statement about the brittleness of our guarantees — some would call them sacred — under the Constitution.

After searching the vehicle, the officer let Filippidis leave with a warning. Warning for what? For not exercising his Second Amendment rights?

Related posts:

Anti-war protesters to cop: We don’t need a permit we have the constitution
Army veteran banned from daughter’s school for photo of concealed weapons permit
Veteran Flies Flag Upside Down, Gets Harassed by Cops
FLASHBACK: Man Pulled Over By Cops For Anti-Obama Sign
Newspaper’s gun-permit map used by burglars to target home?

This article was posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 12:30 pm

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey RJc!! Sounds as if the Officer or "BULLY" should be reprimanded and "forced" to undergo sensitivity training at the ground level Police Academy!! Incredible!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn... I'm glad that wasn't me. I would have come absolutely unhinged. I hope he doesn't cancel his permit. And how did he know he owed a gun???? I'm mad/upset and it wasn't even me.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Simple answer as to why the cop was so determined to find a pistol. Maryland dosn't recognize out of state permits and it's near impossible to get one even if you live there. If the guy had produced a pistol he would be in a Maryland prison right now even though he is a Fla resident and has a Fla permit.. Mass is similar or at least used to be. Cross the border with a weapon and no Mass FID card and you go to jail. Regardless of whether or not you're legal in your home state. What is disturbing is that the cop was able to run a simple check from his cruiser and find out that the driver had a permit in another state. Obviously the MD police are out to harass out of state people just because they can.. Red Maryland: Concealed Carry In Maryland

Last edited:

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I smell a lawsuit. Heck I've had a CC permit for 4 years and have never carried. Guess that makes me a big time law breaker in Maryland?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your a CWL holder and carry you better be sure of the states that recognize your license. ...Google search is easy....

Personally it might be fun to drive through state with license and no weapon and hope you get pulled just to harress them, never know might get a payday out of it..

3%

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally it might be fun to drive through state with license and no weapon and hope you get pulled just to harress them, never know might get a payday out of it..

Or dead,if you happen to come across one of the trigger happy lunatic type cops:laughing7:

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I smell law suit .. I would .. I owned a CCW in Fl for many years myself. and if I was treated like that and not even have a weapon.. so many laws broken here.. First one is he could not even pull the vehicle over because he had no prior acquaintance with said owner of the vehicle to whom the CCW permit was issued too. therefore he was just harassing an anonymous person, that was using a vehicle belonging to a registered gun owner. And not actually knowing if that the owner was in fact the driver... That is about the first of 12 things I see wrong in this case.. some lawyer is gonna have a field day with this...

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
America is not free anymore >:( and its absolutely sickening what has happened to this country since you know who walked in!

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in WV and Maryland is the only bordering state that does not recognize our concealed carry permits. They probably noticed he was from Florida, where a lot of drugs come from and went from there. I hope he sues the cop and state. The cop should be fired for unreasonable search.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just reminder in general, please remember to keep politics out of thread so it can stay and mod doesn't have to delete or lock....

3%

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TH, I appreciate your input on this thread and I also appreciate the line you're walking as a 2nd amendment aficionado as a mod on TH. But why do you give me a warning about my thread about counting the number of political threads on this forum that are allowed to go, and then participate in one like this that is certainly political?
Look I think you're one of us, but can you really continue to be a mod that smacks down (Yes, I know it's OK because it's a privately owned forum.) politically motivated threads while participating in OTHER politically motivated threads?
I would just like to understand the boundaries here.
With respect,
Baby

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As i asked, if we keep politics out of this thread it can stay. . This thread has not moved into politics yet.....

Yours was a direct challenge.....

3%

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Why make the mods' jobs harder. The 2nd amendment forum is alive and well. No censorship, talk about whatever you want, TH is the boss man. Post this stuff there so we can talk freely about it. Time to move on...

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Ohio, and decided not to get a permit because of stories like this.

My Uncle, well respected business owner, Viet Nam Vet, got into a similar situation after he got his. He was pulled over for a small speeding violation an hour from home, the cop ran his drivers license, came back to the car with his gun drawn, screaming orders at my Uncle to get out of the vehicle. frisked and harassed him, had his weapon pointed at him, all because my Uncle didn't inform the cop the he had a concealed carry permit.

My Uncle had no weapon on him or in his car, but the cop said that didn't matter, the first thing you must do is inform them that you have a permit.

If I feel I need to carry a gun, I will carry one.

"The second amendment is my permit.....period!" Ted Nugent.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cops are crooked these days bet it was a new cop on his power trip. Wish the guy recorded it. If a cop tells you to turn it off and you say no he can not force you to turn the camera off. If the officer does so the officer just committed a crime if he would of shown that tape to any judge with the cop not even saying why he was pulled over I think the cop would be unemployed right now.

Hope I didn't get into the gov topic but its a line easily crossed when talking about power tripping cops.

mudd

Mar 16, 2013
Kansas city,KS
Detector(s) used
a 50$ Silver seeker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what a crappy cop, he must of had a couple of hours to kill till shift change..

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just happy I've never ran into a cop like this. I've been pulled over about 5 times for speeding I'm 20 lol. Although I tend to stay with the 5 over because no one minds. Out of those 5 times I got 4 warning one I was going 75 in a 65 guy I just said yea I was speeding a little trying to get home I have to work very early. He basically just warned me about the deer and the other cop that's a couple miles out. Other got freaked out because while I was pulling over I reached to turn my stereo down he cuffed me had me sit on the hood of the car I said hey watch out for the RPG in there. Just chuckled and looked quick then said go on. Others were just said slow down.

Got bored o guess and wrote a short story sorry. Story however does say the city police in ks are nice folk well the ones I dealt with. Although if you get pulled over by HiPo better get ready to get hit with 100 questions and a ticket

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under Florida we are not required to tell a LEO we have a CWL or weapon unless asked, but if I am pulled over while carrying I will hand officer my concealed weapon license with my drivers license and leave it up to him too ask the questions...

3%

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions