Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Attorneys considered last-minute attempts Wednesday to keep a Mexican national from Texas' death chamber after the state opposed legal efforts and spurned diplomatic pressure to delay his punishment for killing a Houston police officer two decades ago.

Edgar Arias Tamayo, 46, was set for lethal injection Wednesday for the January 1994 slaying of Guy Gaddis, 24.

Gaddis, who had been on the force for two years, was driving Tamayo and another man from a robbery scene when evidence showed the officer was shot three times in the head and neck with a pistol Tamayo had concealed in his pants. The car crashed, and Tamayo fled on foot but was captured a few blocks away, still in handcuffs, carrying the robbery victim's watch and wearing the victim's necklace.

Secretary of State John Kerry previously asked Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott to delay Tamayo's punishment, saying it "could impact the way American citizens are treated in other countries." The State Department repeated that stance Tuesday.

"It doesn't matter where you're from," Govt. Perry spokeswoman Lucy Nashed said. "If you commit a despicable crime like this in Texas, you are subject to our state laws, including a fair trial by jury and the ultimate penalty."

Tamayo was in the U.S. illegally and had a criminal record in California, where he had served time for robbery and was paroled, according to prison records.

"Not one person is claiming the suspect didn't kill Guy Gaddis," Ray Hunt, president of the Houston Police Officers' Union, said. "He had the same rights as you and I would have.
"This has been looked at, heard, examined and it's time for the verdict of the jury to be carried out."

I'd like to understand why a person like this and all like others have to stay in prison for 20 years before killing them. I never understood why taxpayer dollars are used to house, feed, cloth and medical care provided for 20 years. And why would anyone want to keep somebody like this man alive. But I know there are some bleeding hearts out there who'd like to see this person live for some reason. It seems like these people never think about the damage done to the officers family or care. Under these circumstances this guy has lived 19+ years to many already.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I know why people sit on death row for decades, because some folks feel the death penalty is to easy a way out, for some death is a pleasant welcome thing, well then, draw it out over a few weeks of pure torture, make em beg for the end.
Bet the murder rate drops then.

Mike

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know there's automatic appeals and reviews concerning death penalties but I'm talking about the obvious, no doubt they done it cases. If there's some doubt wait 1 year and dig hard and deep to get the innocent one's out. But those "NO DOUBT" cases why do we wait 20 years and waste all that money, time and space? It may be an "easy way" out BC1969 but time is money... send'em on their way! The families would feel better also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread