NH Thieves Raiding Woodpiles For Firewood

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
NOW THIS IS GLOBAL WARMING :)

By Michael Rosenfield, WBZ-TV January 21, 2014 5:58 PM

CANDIA, N.H. (CBS) — Janine Richardson couldn’t believe it when she and her husband went to bring in some firewood to heat their home and it was all gone.

“We don’t use oil at all,” said Richardson. “We heat by wood solely so it was cold, it was cold that night, luckily we had little scraps around so we burnt that for the night.”

Police in Candia New Hampshire says it’s happened at least twice this month. Heavy piles of firewood have been stolen from people’s property.

“I haven’t seen that in this area,” said Candia Police Chief Mike McGillen. “I can’t recall having many investigations like this.”

A cord of wood can be worth up to $250, and police are not sure if the wood is being stolen by people who want to sell it, or if they need the wood to keep warm.

“If someone was desperate and needed the wood they could just come to the town,” said Chief McGillen. “There’s a lot of good people here who would give out wood, give out oil, give assistance in a heartbeat, they don’t need to go around taking it.”

A cord of wood is about eight feet long, four feet wide, and four feet tall.

For Janine Richardson, it’s not about the money. It’s the principle that someone stole from her home. And that all of her hard work was wasted.

“So obviously we’re angry because we cut all our wood and I’m the one who splits it with the log splitter my husband built me,” said Richardson.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really bad out there, just in case nobody noticed.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's just a sign of the wood inequality issue

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my wood cut for free by a couple of "good Samaritans" once. And a lot of it also. I live in a very rural area on a mostly 1 land dirt road. I own the 1st mile of road frontage up to my 2nd home. The road has several hairpin curves winding up the ridge. It's late winter and I hear chainsaws down below my ridge. I hope into car and drive down. There's 2 guys cutting down oak trees and trimming them up for firewood and loading the short logs into a 12' trailer and their truck bed. They say they got permission from owner to cut trees. I tell them I'm the owner and they say no your not. So I go back up ridge to my first home and lay a big tree down across road. They can't turn around to leave and have to come out this way or turn around at my first home. I go home call Sheriffs office and out they come. Bingo... they've been caught before doing this (go figure). There're up by large oak I dropped across road to stop them and their cutting away. Cop says "What do you want to happen to them" to me. I said if they drop off all the wood by my log splitter I won't press charges. They agreed. Worked out great!!!!!!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story Brad!
I would have told them leave your saws here too, unless it was poulan or craftsman junk.
Best saw ever made..IMHO anyway, jonsered 2054 turbo, it runs circles around the 660 magnum I have..if you ever get the pleasure to find an older jonsered, get one, they have the most innovative handle, vibrations do not exist with it.

Mike

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I'm with you BC on the Jonsareds . Get fantastic service from Shindaiwa products , too .
Firewood thieves were a nemisis for me when I was logging . Nothing spoils your day like coming in to the landing after a full week of hard work to load a load of verneer logs to take to market to find that a bunch of d-weeds visited during the night and chainsawed a couple of pickup loads of firewood off the ends of your logs . Logs that were worth $1600 each when you left them the day before and are valueless after being butchered except for firewood :censored:

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmmm.... I'd never heard of Jonsareds, and I need a chain saw! Thanks guys!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Roger, I do not know much about the modern jonsered saws, the 2054 I have is fairly old, late 80's if I remember, I can research it for you to see if they are still made in Sweden.
I have owned and used most brands of saws, and after all the years of bucking logs the jonsered was always the best, really light weight, but the best thing about the turbo jonsereds was the incredible amount of rpms's they developed.
It is and was a great firewood saw, if you cannot find an old one, let me know And I'll give you mine, kinda retired from that, I more or less just collect old saws now.

Mike

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Mike! But you need to keep that - it's perhaps collectable :)

I'll be looking into it myself. My trusty chain saw walked away somewhere - can't keep nuthin when you go home once a week :( I rent a trailer near where I work during the week....

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three of my daughters while I was at work during the day cleaned out a 12' x 8' shed during a summer day to surprise me. They did a GREAT job and I was surprised upon returning home. And they did do a very good job of organizing it. About 3-4 month later I needed my chain saw. Couldn't find it anywhere and nobody knew where it was. Wasn't in shed, trunk, other shed or my woodshop. Even walked through woods where I last cut thinking... no way. So I went out and bought a new Stihl. About 2 years later I needed some rope. I knew where that was. I keep all my rope in a large wooden box in the cleaned out shed. Opened lid and at the bottom of the box I saw my old chain saw. Now I got one for each hand. They meant well anyway.....

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story, what makes it even better is that your daughters actually do something.
I really worry about the future, for how lazy the kids are nowadays, but then again 97% of all the hard manual labor jobs are gone..ahh hard work I love it, gimme back breaking, callous causing, turn my hair Grey work...sorry I ramble really bad in the mornings..my mind is running the Indy 500.

Mike

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story, what makes it even better is that your daughters actually do something.
I really worry about the future, for how lazy the kids are nowadays, but then again 97% of all the hard manual labor jobs are gone..ahh hard work I love it, gimme back breaking, callous causing, turn my hair Grey work...sorry I ramble really bad in the mornings..my mind is running the Indy 500.

Mike

Well Mike lets me continue with this story.... Yes it was great that they made the extra effort without being asked to and did a very good job. But... there was a reason they did this. I should have known. I found out the next day (Sat.) when they all wanted to go into town for a movie and skating party with their friends. They got to go. Everything worked out good except for "missing" chainsaw.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another chainsaw story 5 years ago... Had a grass fire (summer time) on property next to mine which started from highway and was burning up the ridge toward a small power line. Personal showed up coming in the back way down the power line to fight the fire. I drove ATV over and parked inside the woods watching out of the sun. They didn't want my help with fire (untrained was reason). Anyway I had 3 cold beers on ice in a igloo cooler at the ATV. A county flatbed truck pulled up and three county workers got out and went toward fire. A volunteer firemen came down power line with his red light flashing and parked behind flatbed Co. truck. He gets out and stands by flatbed for a minute. Nobody is close or watching (he thinks). He suddenly takes bungee cord off a large chainsaw on flatbed and runs with it toward woods almost right at me. Puts it down and covers with leaves, debris and sticks then heads for fire. Never once saw me.

What would you folks do at this time.....?????

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, I would have grabbed said saw, went to where ever the guy worked, waited a week of course so he could tell his lies as to how the saw got *lost* then told his boss what really happened, taxpayers would have had to replace it, that and I can't stand a thief.

Mike

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I would have grabbed said saw, went to where ever the guy worked, waited a week of course so he could tell his lies as to how the saw got *lost* then told his boss what really happened, taxpayers would have had to replace it, that and I can't stand a thief.
Mike

Remember Mike.... Volunteer fireman / rescue worker took chainsaw from a County truck and hid it (stole). I'll tell ya what I did later.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got relatives in Candia NH. I better get hold of them to see if they are up to no good.

backwoods tracker

Jan 2, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back about fifteen or so years ago I pitched camp on the Big Blue River up in Indiana for about a week. I took enough firewood with me to last the stay without having to cut more. There were two trees right by where I pitched my tent that were perfectly spaced for stacking the wood.

About 3 0'clock one morning I heard a vehicle stop nearby, and then the unmistakable clacking sound of firewood being gathered. I quietly unzipped the tent and rolled out. There were three young men trying their best to be silent as they took my firewood. I said, "What you boys think your doing?" They all turned to see me there with a .357 in one hand and a .38 in the other.

All the wood got stacked back, and I've never heard so many apologies out of any three people concerning anything in my life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread