Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
DC Man On Trial For One Shotgun Shell

truther January 28, 2014

A year ago this month, the attorney general for the District of Columbia let NBC News anchor David Gregory off scot-free for possession of a “high capacity” magazine because doing so “would not promote public safety.”

Now, Irvin Nathan refuses to use that same prosecutorial discretion for an average citizen who violated a bizarre technicality that makes empty casings and shells a crime as serious as having an illegal firearm.

A year ago this month, the attorney general for the District of Columbia let NBC News anchor David Gregory off scot-free for possession of a “high capacity” magazine because doing so “would not promote public safety.”

Now, Irvin Nathan refuses to use that same prosecutorial discretion for an average citizen who violated a bizarre technicality that makes empty casings and shells a crime as serious as having an illegal firearm.

DC Man On Trial For One Shotgun Shell

Mr. Witaschek, a successful financial adviser with no criminal history, is the first known case of a citizen being prosecuted in D.C. for inoperable ammunition. Washington police and prosecutors have spent a year and a half trying to nail him for the possession of so-called unregistered ammunition.

A hunter and gun owner, Mr. Witaschek has always kept his firearms at his sister’s house in Virginia. If convicted, he faces a year in jail and a $1,000 fine for having a single, inoperable shotgun shell in his home. The jury trial starts on Feb. 11.

The Metropolitan Police Department raided Mr. Witaschek’s rented Georgetown house twice in the summer of 2012 on the word of his angry ex-wife.

Frustrated with not finding the promised firearms, the police handcuffed him, searched his home top to bottom and came out with only ammunition, which carries the same felony penalty as a firearm.

Mr. Witaschek told me this week, “Since the night my home was invaded and family terrorized by a militarized D.C. police force, I am more afraid of what government is doing than I am of any of the people I encountered when I spent the night in jail.”

He added, “The Second Amendment was meant to guarantee individuals the right to protect themselves against government — as much as against private bad guys and gangs.”

There have been two pre-trail hearings in the case so far. At the end of the first hearing in November, Judge Robert Morin gave the government until Jan. 3 to come up with a good defense for the initial police raid without a search warrant.

Knowing things weren’t going in their favor, the two assistant attorneys general for the District on the case, Peter Saba and Oritsejemine Trouth, offered Mr. Witaschek probation if he pleaded guilty. He declined the offer.

At the second hearing, the judge disallowed the first warrantless search and the fruits of it. This eliminated a box of rifle ammunition from the charges.

Undeterred, the prosecutors continued with the two items from the second raid — a misfired 12-gauge shotgun shell and a box of muzzleloader sabots.

Sabots are plastic covers that make it easier to push the bullet into a muzzleloader gun. There is no propellent on the bullet or sabot — because the gunpowder is separated — so it is not clear that it can be categorized as ammunition and thus only registered gun owners can possess it.

Thus, the single vaguely legitimate remaining charge for “unregistered ammunition” is the misfired shotgun shell that Mr. Witaschek has kept as a souvenir from deer hunting years earlier. The shell cannot be fired because the primer was already stricken and failed to propel it.

“I believe that some in the prosecution and police apparatus know what they did and are trying to continue this charade to cover their tracks,” Mr. Witaschek said of the warrantless raid and SWAT team tactics used against his family. “If I am proven a ‘criminal,’ then their bad acts are covered. If not, they are liable.”

That’s why Mr. Witaschek turned down the prosecution’s second offer that he would plead guilty to a reduced charge of “attempted possession” of ammunition. That crime still would carry a maximum of penalty of a six-month jail sentence, and it is not eligible for a jury trial.

Neither of the prosecutors nor the spokesman for Mr. Nathan responded to requests for comment.

Without a firearm, Mr. Witaschek could not do anything dangerous with an inoperable shotgun shell or muzzleloading bullets.

So it is inconceivable that a judge or jury would see this case as anything other than an overly technical interpretation of a law supposedly intended to prevent crime.

Nevertheless, the attorney general and his team insisted on prosecuting. Mr. Nathan’s office has spent countless hours and taxpayer money to try to nail a man who is an upstanding member of society with no intent to harm anyone.

Mr. Witaschek deserves the same treatment as the powerful TV anchor Mr. Gregory. Mr. Nathan should drop this absurd charge before this case goes to the jury.

Source: washingtontimes

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Some of this makes no sense. If he is not a felon or restricted from owning firearms what law was broken ? I understand that DC has a law against handguns but rifle ammo ? A shotgun shell ? I would like to see the law that says these things are prohibited. "unregistered ammo" ? What the hell is that ? Does DC seriously require that every round of ammo is recorded on paper somewhere ? In nearly every other state in the country ammo can be purchased through the mail with NO paperwork other than signing a statement that you're over 18 and not a felon. I can go here right now (if I could afford it) and order 10,000rds of military grade .223 ammo and have it shipped to my door with NO permit. http://www.wideners.com/ Something isn't adding up.

Last edited:

BrisJoe

Dec 30, 2012
Brisbane
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, Whites Goldmaster, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the effort they are putting into this on the report of his ex wife, I dare say she is screwing a cop or sherrif or similar. As only for extreme sexual favours for a senior cop would the police take such a personal vendetta against a normal person

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The laws here in Mass. are basically the same.You need a permit to have a (live round),just one.If youre a muzzle loader you need a permit (F.I.D card.)to buy the pyrodex,(You need a special permit for the real blackpowder).But you can possess the pyrodex without a permit.Is it me or does that sound screwed up to you too?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea when I heard this also I was thinking there has to be a LOT more to this than just a shotgun shell. Especially an empty shotgun shell. But for this to be made public over a shotgun shell seems like a not to good idea for the police. So there has got to be something more to this than what's being reported.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The laws here in Mass. are basically the same.You need a permit to have a (live round),just one.If youre a muzzle loader you need a permit (F.I.D card.)to buy the pyrodex,(You need a special permit for the real blackpowder).But you can possess the pyrodex without a permit.Is it me or does that sound screwed up to you too?

Red... so your saying you have to register ammo during purchase in your state??? Or did I not understand? How about an "empty" round.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Red... so your saying you have to register ammo during purchase in your state Or did I not understand? How about an "empty" round.

Not really,you just need a firearms I.D.,an F.I.D. card in order to buy ammo.Empty cases here are ok as far as I know.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
You can buy fired brass at military surplus auctions direct from the government with no permits. It's classified exactly the same as any other scrap metal. This is nuts.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not really,you just need a firearms I.D.,an F.I.D. card in order to buy ammo.Empty cases here are ok as far as I know.

Ok Red call me a little stupid. I admit I am naĂŻve on a lot of rules ..... What is a "firearms I.D." or a "F.I.D. card" to buy ammo? So is it safe to say you cannot buy ammo over the internet and have sent to you...?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The nuts are running the funny farm. It's coming folks, and we can't all move to Wyoming or Idaho. I really don't want to kill anybody, why are they doing this? I have been free, I will not live with those rules. I guess I'm naive, but I thought DC gun laws were declared unconstitutional???

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Ok Red call me a little stupid. I admit I am naĂŻve on a lot of rules ..... What is a "firearms I.D." or a "F.I.D. card" to buy ammo? So is it safe to say you cannot buy ammo over the internet and have sent to you...?
I can answer what I know from back when I lived in Mass and Red can fill in any changes that may have been made since then. In Mass you need a special ID card issued by the chief of police in the town you live in to buy guns or ammo. You have to show it to make a purchase and this is on top of the regular NICS, background check that goes through the feds in the case of firearms. No mail order ammo sales. If you look at some of the sites that sell ammo you'll see a list of the states they don't ship to. Mass is one of them. It's pretty stupid for them to think it prevents criminals from getting guns & ammo since they can just drive over the border into NH and buy whatever they want.

Bandit2

Jan 7, 2014
Portsmouth, Va.Metro-West Taxachusettes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Mass.
Do NOT help the environment by picking up " Empty Shell " unless You are " Properly Licensed "

Do Not to worry if caught , it's only for a max. of 2 years in prison .
and You can watch the Super Bowl on a Big Screen Flat TV
Prisoners score snazzy TVs in recession

Whoever owns, possesses or transfers a firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition without complying with the provisions of section 129C of chapter 140 shall be punished by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than 2 years

Possession of an empty shell or any component is seen the same as ammunition. Unlicensed possession is unlawful, even if you can not possibly use it in any firearm in it's current form. Empty 22 rim-fire cases are an example, inert bullets for reloading are another .
From the Mass Bar
http://www.massbar.org/publications...others,-or,-the-danger-of-spent-shell-casings

Empty Cartidges possession of? [Archive] - Northeastshooters.com Forums

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section10

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can answer what I know from back when I lived in Mass and Red can fill in any changes that may have been made since then. In Mass you need a special ID card issued by the chief of police in the town you live in to buy guns or ammo. You have to show it to make a purchase and this is on top of the regular NICS, background check that goes through the feds in the case of firearms. No mail order ammo sales. If you look at some of the sites that sell ammo you'll see a list of the states they don't ship to. Mass is one of them. It's pretty stupid for them to think it prevents criminals from getting guns & ammo since they can just drive over the border into NH and buy whatever they want.

This just sounds so STUPID... and this is put into place to stop "bad people" from getting ammo? Of all states... N.H.? If you got up early couldn't you walk across entire state in a day or close?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
This just sounds so STUPID... and this is put into place to stop "bad people" from getting ammo? Of all states... N.H.? If you got up early couldn't you walk across entire state in a day or close?
And there lies the foolishness of the laws.... In Mass you can go to jail for 2 years for picking up a spent shell casing and next door in NH you can buy semi auto rifles at the local flea market with no paperwork...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread