Do You Remember....?

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Do You Remember..........?

Ed Donovan, I remember the robot but did not know his name. I loved that show! Batman, Hot wheels and 5 cent cokes!! How about AFX cars??

Dudes, he also probably never watched a Black & White TV ! LOL!

Vic910, I used to walk Iverson Mall from end to end all the time. I lived two blocks from it. My grandmother worked at Woodies. You would be car jacked there now :( Remember WPGC radio?

surfrat96, Yes, Ed Sullivan Show, Leave it to Beaver, Andy Griffith Show, gas at .28c and they would check your oil, tires, and wash your windows, transistor radios, hi-fi's for your records, super balls, Duncan yo-yo's ( I had the butterfly one), being able to leave your house door unlocked, car keys in the ignition, hitchhiking without worrying about wack-o's,Cigarette commercials on TV (Remember the Kool Balloon/) Roller skates with the "key", Skate boards with the metal wheels,Schwinn Sting Ray's (is that the one with the stick shifter & small front wheel?) Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, etc. concerts for $5.00.
Don't forget Bad Company, Boston, The Who, Janice Joplin...

Flea, I'm with you on: Wonderama (was that on Sat. Or Sunday morning?) Bozo,Romper Room,Outer Limits,Twilight Zone,The Flying Nun, the honeymooners, 45's,Hula Hoops TV antennae that never did work no matter how much you prayed (or used foil on),Climb under your desk school drills, Paint by numbers. Sparkle Paints?? ??? What the...??
How about "The ghost of Mrs Mur" "Don't step on the Daisy's" "Room 222" "My favorite Martin" "F Troop" "Pettycoat Junction" What was the one with Bill Bixby ( not The Hulk) He was Eddie Corbit's father???

cryptodave said:
There is still Godfather pizzas here and there. Actually there is one in the Norfolk airport. Some of the best pizza available.
Send me one dave! ;D

CaptainZossima said:
Tiddlededee winks? Jacks, Pick up Sticks .
CZ

Come on Cappy. Those were girl games!!! LOL!! :D Next your going to say "paper cut out dolls, jump rope! ;D

seashellsrtreasure2 said:
anybody remember the tv show with the seaweed monster family?
I do remember that show! Not much about it though.

Z

ZumbroKid

Anybody have a hand pump for water, tar paper siding on the house? How about a two hole out house? Chamber pots?
How about coming home from school on your birthday, finding a present and your folks tell you it's for some other kid and you believe them! Thats a dirt poor start in life. This is how it was for free2dtect! ;)

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky

jeff of pa said:
here Ya Go Rob,

2 Blasts From the Past ;)
i recall a lot of the stuff but the charle,s chips brought back some mem,s. we use to have a factory near owensboro, ky that closed in the 80s as i recall i think it was in calhoun , ky. :)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rtde3 said:
(My dad worked at Andrews AFB.)

diggummup, Man, I did forget Drug fair, Roy Rogers restaurants (still a few around) PAC-man at 7-11,Pet rocks and the Evel Knievel stunt cycle! I had the demo derby stp racers that the hoods & doors would fly off! What part of PG did you live?
My dad also worked at Andrews AFB.I too had the demo derby stp's,until you mentioned it Ihad forgotten.I lived in Oxon Hill off of Indian head Hwy.Remember the 2 drive inns heading towards Accokeek,the Superchief and I forget the other one.My mom still owns a couple acres out there(Accokeek),even though she's been down here since the 80's.I used to ride my bike down to the Potomac to fish,right by the Children's Farm,ever hear of that? VIC910- I went to Oxon Hill S.H.S..I remember the "smoke ins" at the Washington Monument.Concerts at the Capitol center,saw KISS in '78 or was it '77?Maybe it was Led Zeppelin in '77.Uncle used to work the shows and get free tickets.Ahhh,those were the days.....

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oh one word "GUYS" well a few Linda Carter
WONDER WOMAN

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

I'm beginning to think I'm the oldest artifact on this forum!

Anybody else willing to admit that you remember these?

Little Brown Koko
Big Jon & Sparkie
Gene Autry's Melody Ranch
Don McNeil's Breakfast Club
Suspense!
Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar
Commando Cody, Sky Marshal of the Universe
Jungle Jim (Johnny Weissmuller)
Guess What? (candy w/prize)
Red cardboard "cans" of peanuts with cash inside (always pennies)
Tom's peanut patties
Pop-Kola
Sun Crest
Chocolate Soldier
Polar Bear coffee
Big Chief tablets
Blue Horse paper
Grit
Mrs. Stewart's bluing (great "war paint"!)
The Jewel Tea man
Hadacol
Lucky Tiger hair tonic
Cardui calendars
Gilbert sets
Johnson-Smith ads & catalogs

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

No, bless you, young cherub... the 50's.

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL

PBK - The only one I remember is Johnny Weissmeuler!

rtde3 - Yup! Walked those shopping centers from one end to the other many, many times. My dad worked at Hechts very briefly. I know what you mean about being a car jacking area. Even the area where my mom lives has gotten really bad. We can't get her to move though. Her car got stolen right out of her driveway!

diggumup - Saw Country Joe and the Fish at the Merriweather Post Pavilion, oh! and Black Sabbath too! Don't remember much about the concerts though, LOL! Saw the Beatles at the Washington Stadium ( forget the name: Shea?) Saw The Who the night Lyndon Johnson announced he would not run for reelection. The place totally went nuts! Saw Jimi Hendrix at some small hotel in Washington. I'll bet there was only about 150 people in the auditorium. Awesome show! Ahhhh! Oxon Hill. I had an apartment there for a very short time. I seem to remember Oxon Hill as being a big rival of Crossland's. Used to go sledding on the Suitland Parkway sometimes.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

MonDak said:
I dare
say no one will remember this early detector!

Cool pic. I think they still make those today. :D

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CaptainZossima said:
Someone here at TN PM'd me and said rtde3 had a GI Joe doll as a teen...
I say, if it floats his boat...
:D
Cappy Z

Man Cap I about fell out my chair laughing! Good one! Then I realized I did have a G.I. Joe doll with the kung fu grip!!
But I heard you had a Ken doll with the pink jeep!! At least G.I. Joe's jeep was Camo with a machine gun on the back!! ;D ;D

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vic910 said:
rtde3 - Yup! Walked those shopping centers from one end to the other many, many times. My dad worked at Hechts very briefly. I know what you mean about being a car jacking area. Even the area where my mom lives has gotten really bad. We can't get her to move though. Her car got stolen right out of her driveway!

diggumup - Saw Country Joe and the Fish at the Merriweather Post Pavilion, oh! and Black Sabbath too! Don't remember much about the concerts though, LOL! Saw the Beatles at the Washington Stadium ( forget the name: Shea?) Saw The Who the night Lyndon Johnson announced he would not run for reelection. The place totally went nuts! Saw Jimi Hendrix at some small hotel in Washington. I'll bet there was only about 150 people in the auditorium. Awesome show! Ahhhh! Oxon Hill. I had an apartment there for a very short time. I seem to remember Oxon Hill as being a big rival of Crossland's. Used to go sledding on the Suitland Parkway sometimes.
Man Vic, I went though the same thing with my mom. She did not want to move. It took me & my sisters years to get her to move to Richmond VA. Her car got broke in to so many times & she had bars on her house windows. No way to live :(
As far as Merriweather Post Pavilion, So many good times & shows. The best was SRV (R.I.P.). The stadium in DC was RFK.

diggummup said:
rtde3 said:
(My dad worked at Andrews AFB.) diggummup, Man, I did forget Drug fair, Roy Rogers restaurants (still a few around) PAC-man at 7-11,Pet rocks and the Evel Knievel stunt cycle! I had the demo derby stp racers that the hoods & doors would fly off! What part of PG did you live?
My dad also worked at Andrews AFB.I too had the demo derby stp's,until you mentioned it Ihad forgotten.I lived in Oxon Hill off of Indian head Hwy.Remember the 2 drive inns heading towards Accokeek,the Superchief and I forget the other one.My mom still owns a couple acres out there(Accokeek),even though she's been down here since the 80's.I used to ride my bike down to the Potomac to fish,right by the Children's Farm,ever hear of that? VIC910- I went to Oxon Hill S.H.S..I remember the "smoke ins" at the Washington Monument.Concerts at the Capitol center,saw KISS in '78 or was it '77?Maybe it was Led Zeppelin in '77.Uncle used to work the shows and get free tickets.Ahhh,those were the days.....
diggummup, The other drive- in was ABC. I bought my first house in Accokeek in 1985. We used to go to that farm on class field trips! As for the Cap center.... Man I still have the ticket stubs to so many great shows & Bullets games. The championship in '78! The smoke in's with the Beach Boys right??

Great memories everyone!! Even the ones I don't remember!! Good stuff! ;D

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rtde3 said:
Sparkle Paints?? ??? What the...??
Flea, I just realized you said sparkle paints I thought you said sparkle pants! I thought it was a disco thing! ;D

R

Rustbelt Rosie

OK here's a few more:
Wooden paddle ball with the red cowboy inked on it. And when the rubber band broke, the ball took out momma's vase and she found a new and improved way to use the paddle. LOL
Being sent out to play after supper and told to come home when the street lights came on.
Halloween, when you got HOMEMADE candied apples, caramel apples or umbrella pops.
Sticky sweet popcorn balls in colored cellophane.
Halloween, when you threw corn on people's porches and soaped car windows. (Oh, I would have never have done that. Hehehehe)
Playing tic-tac-toe or hopscotch on a chalk marked sidewalk.
Games like "hide 'n seek," freeze tag" or "release."
Pranks where you glued a coin on the sidewalk or got your daddy's old wallet, tied it to a string and hid behind a bush waiting for a "victim."
Eating green apples with salt on them until you got a belly ache.
American Flag holders on the fenders of bikes.
Bikes with big springs in the seat, coaster brakes and "streamers" on the handle bars.
"Disappearo" the inky stuff that you squirted on people, but it disappeared as soon as it was dry.
Pressing "Silly Putty" on the Comics and stamping it onto paper.
Trading "aggies, "puries" or "shooter" marbles with your friends.
Slingshots you made with big rubber bands and a forked tree branch.
The game "Cootie."
OR worse yet being told you HAD COOTIES.
Riding your "Radio Flyer" wagon or a real wooden sled with real metal runners down a big hill.
Those tin "Laser Guns" that shot a trail of sparks when you pulled the trigger.
Whizzer or Batman rings.
Cap guns that you put paper rolls of "caps" in.
"Creepy Crawler" kits where you made your own plastic bugs with a mini hotplate, metal molds and liquid plastic.
The "Gilbert Company" that made all kinds of chemistry and science kits.

Now kids sit google eyed watching tv or on the computer, are wired to their cell phones and Ipods and complain that they are bored.
We were NEVER BORED. Too bad about 90% of what I mentioned is either illegal, controlled, considered unsafe or not politically correct.

Thanks for starting this thread. I got a real kick out of everybody else's posts.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

I can remember when you could buy 12 hamburgers or 8 cheeseburgers for $1... when you could see a Saturday double feature plus cartoons (then see 'em all over again) for 15¢... when a half pint of milk at school cost 2¢... when there was only one channel on TV... heck, I've been around so long that I not only remember when they dammed the Arkansas River, I'm pretty sure I was already here when they dug it.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"TAG" your it!
"the giggle snort hotel"
MONO gear ten speeds (we would strip them of breaks and gear shifts everything to make them lighter and easy to sneak around with at night and toss in a bush if the cops were hot on use :-X ::) )
denim or camoflage jackets with studs on the pockets and collars and patchs ALL over them !
MOHAWKS
PUNK ROCK (not this main stream bubble gum horse crap they manufacture now!)
am i 2 young for this thread? ;D

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rustbelt, I do remember those paddle balls! We used to tie a knot in the rubber ban when it broke. And yes I had my a$$ beat with them a few times! We put salt on watermelon. Never tried apples. I also had one of those "Laser Guns" that shot a trail of sparks when you pulled the trigger!

PBK, Those were the good old days if you could get 12 hamburgers or 8 cheeseburgers for $1! How big were they? Did they feed the whole family or what? That's funny what you said about the Arkansas River! :D

dekalb33 said:
WONDER WOMAN

She was hot! She lives here in Maryland now.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab

rtde3 said:
Rustbelt, I do remember those paddle balls! We used to tie a knot in the rubber ban when it broke. And yes I had my a$$ beat with them a few times! We put salt on watermelon. Never tried apples. I also had one of those "Laser Guns" that shot a trail of sparks when you pulled the trigger!

PBK, Those were the good old days if you could get 12 hamburgers or 8 cheeseburgers for $1! How big were they? Did they feed the whole family or what? That's funny what you said about the Arkansas River! :D

dekalb33 said:
WONDER WOMAN

She was hot! She lives here in Maryland now.

She WAS hot?!?!? She is quite possibly the only grandma I would still want to hook up with.. She was just recently in Sky High and Dukes of Hazzard... Still a sexy woman...

By the way... We have 8 o'clock coffee here in some stores that you can grind yourself.

Oh, and Rt, the Godfathers is actually IN the terminal... Meaning you can't eat there unless your flying... I always make it a point to grap a slice when I'm going through though.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

rtde3 said:
PBK, Those were the good old days if you could get 12 hamburgers or 8 cheeseburgers for $1! How big were they?

About the same size as McDonald's regular burgers, rtde3... maybe even a tad bigger. Definitely not mini-burgers like the "bombers" or "sliders" you get at White Castle or Krystal Burgers. A local place called the White Spot sold them. Their "signature" was using fried onions, not raw, on the burgers. Some time ago, to celebrate an anniversary, they sold them again at the old price for one day.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

g i joe with kung fu grip in good condition sold on the bay a couple years back for over 450.00.........my brother had one till i blasted it with my first 12 guage single shot........remember the commercials '' its 11 pm, do you know where your children are ''...or '' this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs'' .. or the pot leads to pcp which leads to human flying attempts off high buildings commercials.......how bout '' shock theatre '' or the red ryder show every sunday morning at 9.........before charlie manson messed everything up in the world and no one locked their doors at night, even sleeping with nothing other than a flimsy screen door in the hole, and window locks were unknown.........gldhntr

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You all have brought back a lot of good memories with this thread. Roy Rogers and Superman (George Reeves) were my heroes. I remember five cent soft drinks. (We had a local brand called "Upper- 10" which was like the modern day "Sprite" or "7-UP".) The cheapest gas I remember was 19 cents a gallon during a gas war. And a pack of cigarettes was only 29 cents. We played a marble game called "poison" and pitched washers.My favorite TV shows were "The Roy Rogers Show", "Superman", "The Cisco Kid", "Wild Bill Hickok" and "The Lone Ranger". And how about "Howdy Doody" with "Buffalo Bob Smith"? And does anyone remember TV comedies called "Topper" or "People's Choice"? These were also some of my favorite shows. Our grocery store was a "Piggly Wiggly" or "A & P" (both now long gone from our area.) Well anyway, "Thanks for the memories!"

Huntin' 59er

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread