Do You Remember....?

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Do You Remember..........?

PBK said:
Some time ago, to celebrate an anniversary, they sold them again at the old price for one day.
I bet the line was a mile long that day! ;D

gldhntr said:
g i joe with kung fu grip in good condition sold on the bay a couple years back for over 450.00
Man, and to think my mom threw mine away!!

Huntin' 59er, I remember Upper-10! I think they still make it. I saw a Piggly Wiggly when I was in Mississippi last year! I'm glad you enjoyed the thread!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dont forget the film they showed in school even i saw it in the 70s
MR.BUNGLE"no one wants to be a mister bungle"
hard rock, coco and joe
and those claymation christmas stories with santa and rudolph "bunble's bounce!" the elf that wanted to be a dentist.....the miner looking for gold by tasting his pick hammer ..........LMAO

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab

Oh yeah, remember the old candy and/or gum cigarettes? You could pick them up for like $.03~.05... They still make the candy ones, I saw them the other day, but they are not called "cigarettes" anymore.

Does anyone remember a candy... It was called Toffiay or something along that line. It had a gold insert that held 4 pieces, and it had like caramel, then in the middle it had chocolate and a piece of hazelnut? Those were my absolute favorite, and now you can't find them!

Oh, and Bonkers! Remember Bonkers! candy commercials? They would eat a piece fo candy that looked like gum, and then a bunch of huge fruit pieces would fall and "bonk" them on the head? I think they quite making those too, but I was in a Dollar Tree the other day and they had a few boxes of them, selling 3 packs for $1. I was too scared to buy them!

If there are members here that are a product of the 80s stuff, there is a website to see commercials. Its called x-entertainment. Do a google for it. It has reviews and funny stories about toys, and has tons and tons of old commercials for food and toys.

R

Rustbelt Rosie

Yeah Cyn, those phone booths, I remember them. They were made out of oak and glass and had a blue enamel sign on top that had a big bell on it. When you shut the door a light and a fan came on. Had actual dial phones in them too. LOL
This was such a fun thread!!

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Ahhh, the Schwinn Stingray.... (as surfrat mentioned). I put SO many miles on mine. A coulpe of friends and I go to our local dump EVERY saturday.... There's a "swap shop" where you can leave off items that others might want. On the way there we predict what we're gonna' find... a few weeks in a row I said "A nice old Stingray". (they go for BIG bucks these days!) The week after I gave up on that idea we pulled in just in time for me to see a kid pulling away with a "lemon peeler" (yellow stingray)... I was SO bummed.... I tried to buy it from him (with his dad present, who left it up to the kiddo') Offered him $108 (all the money I had). He repied (in little kid voice) "I don't want money, I want a bike". Good for him. I can't explain why I want one, but I do. Well, the memories, of course. -Ben

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RTDE3, thanks for the info on "Upper-10" and the "Piggly Wiggly". I had thought that "Upper-10" was only a local brand that had been discontinued. They sure were good! Yes, this thread has really been enjoyable. Thanks for bringing it up!

Huntin' 59er

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Ben did it look like this? I had a friend that had a silver one when I was growing up. Coolest bike on the block! 8) I'm glad the kid wanted the bike & not the money. Keep you eyes open & you will find one, it's meant to be!

Huntin' 59er said:
Yes, this thread has really been enjoyable. Thanks for bringing it up!
Huntin' 59er

I have enjoyed it also! I think we all love to look back at the "Good Old Days"

Attachments

• Lemon.jpg
    Lemon.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,410

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Close! It had a full size front tire. Funny thing that your photo reminded me of: Mine had the same shifter until the day after a neighborhood kid wiped out and gouged his leg on that same shifter... so mum took mine off. Dang!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

my first stingray was orange...the second yellow,,,a neighbor was taking down the swingset and trashing it so i took the two a frame bars at the end, beat one end of both around the springer forks, flattened the other end a bit, drilled holes. bolted on tire, and had the baddest chopper on the planet,,,,rough to turn but looked bad on the straight ways......and everyone thinks pauly on occ knows his stuff.....ha...gldhnt

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gldhntr said:
my first stingray was orange...the second yellow,,,a neighbor was taking down the swingset and trashing it so i took the two a frame bars at the end, beat one end of both around the springer forks, flattened the other end a bit, drilled holes. bolted on tire, and had the baddest chopper on the planet,,,,rough to turn but looked bad on the straight ways......and everyone thinks pauly on occ knows his stuff.....ha...gldhnt

gldhntr, that is funny you say that. I used to take the forks off another bike & cut both sides off the fork & slide them on the ends of my forks. Then drill a hole and put a bolt through them to hold them in place. You are so right about hard to turn! I remember the first time I tried the pedal in a turn and the pedal hit the ground & kicked the whole bike sideways out from under me! I found out what road rash was! ;D

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

guys this thread is awesome..... as far as Piggly Wiggly goes there are still several of them here in north Alabama. We also have a drive in with 2 screens, the evel kneivel stunt cycle post reminded me... i sold one on ebay a while back for $52

do y'all remember Lincoln Logs, the original lite bright, spyrograph, the garbage can with trash shaped candy and coffins with bone shaped candies, and model car kits that WEREN'T nascar, but my favorite was Stretch Armstrong, my friend bit a hole in it about 2 hours after i got it. also a lot of people dont remember Coke before it was Coke Classic.

talking about Hide And Seek..... my friends and I would wait untill after dark to play hide and seek in the woods..... my kids wont even go OUTSIDE after dark.

thanks for the memories

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

How about Wacky Packages (spoof advertising cards) or Koogle Peanutbutter spread (various flavors with other stuff mixed in)... I have some of those somewhere, I'll get pics if I can. -Both early '70's

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nhbenz said:
How about Wacky Packages (spoof advertising cards) or Koogle Peanutbutter spread (various flavors with other stuff mixed in)... I have some of those somewhere, I'll get pics if I can. -Both early '70's

I had wacky packs all over my lunch box!

OK, how about Sears "Tuff Skins" pants? They came in red, green or tan. Or "Chuck Taylor All Stars" shoes? At my school if you were not wearing these shoes, you had "May Pops" (may pop now, may pop later!) Or "roach stompers". And if your pants were too short & you could see your socks, you had "High Waters" or "Flood Pants". You had to be wearing the right stuff or get picked on!

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound

PF Flyer, and Red Ball Jet's sneakers. Buster brown shoes with the picture of Buster Brown and his dog Tide inside the shoe! LOL!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rtde3 said:
nhbenz said:

I had wacky packs all over my lunch box!

OK, how about Sears "Tuff Skins" pants? They came in red, green or tan. Or "Chuck Taylor All Stars" shoes? At my school if you were not wearing these shoes, you had "May Pops" (may pop now, may pop later!) Or "roach stompers". And if your pants were too short & you could see your socks, you had "High Waters" or "Flood Pants". You had to be wearing the right stuff or get picked on!
I think the Chuck Taylor's were a Maryland thing,though I could be wrong.Remember "The Grits"?The "grits" used to wear 2-4 pairs of knee high basketball socks with the colored stripes.They would fold them down to thier Chuck Taylor's and wear thier pants folded up at the bottom.They used to wear Leather motorcycle wallets with a chain attached(we'd call em chain wallets.)They wore a white t-shirt with a pack of ciggs rolled up in the sleeve.Remember them? I remember maypops and fishheads too! I remember playing on the playground at the ABC drive in,it was right at the bottom of the screen in front.What's there now,houses? When we moved there were houses around it towards the backside(north I think).Remember when we thought Wrestling was for real? Harley Race and Bob Backlund? George "The Animal" Steele,The Moondogs? Remember the Kawasaki KZ-125,The Yamaha YZ-80 and 125,The Suzuki RM-80.I had a Bultaco 250 and also a Husky 250 when I got older.By the way,if you weren't wearing Levi's you were nothing! But I do remember the "tuffskins",I hated them! Cause I had to wear them! Do you remember the Schwinn Scrambler mx bike when it came out.The first bike with plastic rims I believe.Had one of those too.Remember when you could dial a certain number on your phone to make it ring inside your house.We used to scare my little sisters to death acting like a pyscho killer on the phone!But my mom got us back real good for doing that.Right after "The Amityville Horror" came out and we went to see it.She took me and my brother way out into the country to an old abandoned house that was supposedly haunted and then she left us there.Took off in the car and didn't come back for what seemed like hours at the time.It was probably only 20-30 minutes or so.We were scared half to death,cause we'd always heard the stories about the old witch lady that lived in there! Here's one for you-Remember when we used to get our mouths washed out with soap for cussing! Boy nowadays we'd go to jail for child abuse if we tried something like that.Not to mention being hit with the paddle ball paddle(one that's been reinforced with 3 paddles glued together to prevent breakage)! I remember having to pick my own switch off the willow tree out back,and it had better not break or then I was really in for it.Yeah I was a mischevious kid at times,but I respect my parents still to this day.More than I can say for a lot of todays kids.I remember getting caught smoking a cigg. once and my dad made me smoke a big giant cigar that we'd bought at Hershey Park as a souvenir.Yes a cigar as a souvenir from an amusement park.Imagine that nowadays! Btw-I got sicker than a dog after smoking that nasty thing! Have a good 'un!

rtde3

Jan 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

surfrat96, I do remember buster browns & PF Flyers! :D

diggummup, you might be right about the Chuck Taylors being a Maryland thing. Yes I remember "Grits"! They would wear purple & yellow and orange & black socks rolled down to the top of their White Chucks. They also had two pair of shoes strings in each shoe that matched the colors of the socks. Some wore white t- shirts or what they called "silk shirts". They wore blue, green or tan work pants called "Macs" . They where more or less "greaser's" of their day. I forgot about "fishheads" LOL! :D Remember Keds or Decks?
The ABC drive-in is just an empty lot now with street venders selling stuff on the road in front of it. I also had to pick my own switch! We had a yellow bush in our back yard that had some real mark leaving switches on it. I hate those bushes to this day! >:( I do remember thinking Wrestling was for real. Bruno!! As for the motorcycles, I had a 1971 Yamaha 125! Funny story!

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada

ecdonovan said:
Lets see what I can add. Remember Robby the robot (Lost in Space), Bat Man and Robin (the origanal), Hot wheels, 5 cent cokes, penny candy. Just to name a few others. But "Rock ,em Sock, em Robots still Rule"!

Ah, Reminiscing!

Ed Donovan

Robbie the Robot was from the movie Forbidden Planet, and he did a return in the Invisible Boy... The Lost in space Robot was just 'Robot'

Here is something I collected from the 60's, I bought it at a roadside stand while travelling through Kentucky

Attachments

• lbj.jpg
    lbj.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,348

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I'm a little older than you Rob but I too think back to the good old days. My childhood was mostly the 50's to early 60's so the foods and toys are a little different.

One thing I always wanted as a kid was a Fanner 50 cap gun. My dad couldn't afford one so I never had one as a kid. About 2 years ago I got a few off ebay. I'd wait till I was alone in the office and then I'd pull out a gun and twirl it, etc. I finally got my fill and sold them all.

I kept most of my old toys until my late teens when my mother suggested I give all my stuff to my nieces and nephews. I felt sorry for them so I did it. Later I heard they just laughed and broke everything as fast as they could.

Guess we all do dumb things.

Neat post, thanks.

P.S. The gun below is for sale for a measly $800.

Attachments

• fanner50.jpg
    fanner50.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,347

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread