Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Buy a humidifier..you are creating enough static to close the circuit, voilà! Light turns on heh.

Mike

Quit telling stories.

Jeff, the NSA is just trying to help you get going in the morning so they can track your postings and other online activity.

Either that, or your wish to live in a house with 'haints has come true.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quit telling stories.

Jeff, the NSA is just trying to help you get going in the morning so they can track your postings and other online activity.

Either that, or your wish to live in a house with 'haints has come true.

haHa NSA I like that excuse :laughing7:

Actually with the exception of the Lite in my Bath room, Non of them have working switches anymore.
& I have gotten very tired of Buying new Ceiling, floor & wall lamps.
the switches on them never last more then a year for me.

So i have taken to twisting the bulbs in & out.
Of course when I turn them on, they are cool So a good turn in is easy.

But with 100 Watt bulbs burning for an hour & I grab ahold to Twist out/off
it has to be fast to prevent lasting burns.

anyway Many-O-times they end up on the fringe of on & off

As I said, I must be less light on my feet lately & I'm making them move as I walk into the room :tongue3:

sort of like the ghost hunters do with their flashlights on the fringe of off/on

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Rather than roast your fingertips, get Mercury switches. They use liquid mercury to make the connection so they don't wear out.
PS: You can only use them in vertical switch positions. The heating thermostats that use Mercury also last. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Switches don't last a year ?
Was your home built before 1950 ?

Mike

at the latest 1900 as per tax site.

according to map, may be much older.

celing Lights are type that have a Pull Chain.

Floor & wall lights twist on switches

Last edited:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have outfitted my home hall ways, bathroom, closets, with motion detector lights, they are battery operated led. They stay on till movement stops then stay on for 30sec. great at nite if nature calls lasts aprox 3 months. anyway just a idea, ACE hardware 2 for 14$ on sale.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Replacement sockets/switches for lamps are made so cheap these days. When I got the lamp in the 80's the switch lasted 20 years. The second one lasted 5 years and the third lasted 2. Pretty soon they'll break before you use them.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
walked into the kitchen the other day & my light came on. thought oh well, must have been vibration. just walked over here to the computer, My light came on

Jeff are you talking about an electrical light.... or a "mental light"...? Maybe you are a genius in the making.... and upon the next light you will change mankind forever. Upon this happening please remember your best friend in Middle TN.. Later, Brad

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff are you talking about an electrical light.... or a "mental light"...? Maybe you are a genius in the making.... and upon the next light you will change mankind forever. Upon this happening please remember your best friend in Middle TN.. Later, Brad

LOL now that would be Nice :laughing7:

Last edited:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are they the push button switches? I think you nailed it when you said you twist the bulbs out though.

BTW, there's a place near my granddads house that has a lot of bottle dumps on the other side of the railroad tracks if you're interested.

Last time I was up there, 2011, the tracks were gone. Probly forgotten by now.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That happens here in FL,w/ the new construction homes... attributed to Chinese drywall, rotting out the electrical outlets and A/C units.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That happens here in FL,w/ the new construction homes... attributed to Chinese drywall, rotting out the electrical outlets and A/C units.

It is not just Florida. Has you rhouse been rmodeled in the last 15 years Jeff?
What Is It? - Defective Chinese drywall Houston | Chinese drywall Problems Houston | Toxic drywall Houston | Defective drywall | Tainted Chinese Drywall | Houston Metro Area | -

Whether or not it is toxic is still up for debate, But it does eat the crap out of brass, copper and aluminum. And your switches and outlets have a lot of brass.

Do the screws and copper wire on the outlets and switches appear black? If you paid attention to your bath and Kitchen faucets do they appear to be peeling or pitting? If you look at any copper pipe you can see is it black? You need to look at these things, because frankly, you don't want your outlets andswitches all going bad, they could burn out ans short circuit, Spewing flames out of them.

If you seriously have a problem this widespread in your house I would now be looking hard at it. PM me if you want to about it.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here you go. I am not an MSN guy,, but this may help!
6 surprising findings from the Chinese drywall report - MSN Real Estate

More to look for?
"3. DIY testing was effective and helpful to investigators
The aforementioned Louisiana fire chief took matters into his own hands. After noticing premature rust and corrosion in his house, and after his wife’s jewelry began to tarnish quickly, he “placed two silver half-dollars in the upstairs ductwork to see how quickly they would tarnish. He stated that after two weeks in the duct, they had tarnished enough to where they were no longer silver in color, but had taken on a black hue.” [Document 2, page 191 (pdf)]"

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not just Florida. Has you rhouse been rmodeled in the last 15 years Jeff?
What Is It? - Defective Chinese drywall Houston | Chinese drywall Problems Houston | Toxic drywall Houston | Defective drywall | Tainted Chinese Drywall | Houston Metro Area | -

Whether or not it is toxic is still up for debate, But it does eat the crap out of brass, copper and aluminum. And your switches and outlets have a lot of brass.

Do the screws and copper wire on the outlets and switches appear black? If you paid attention to your bath and Kitchen faucets do they appear to be peeling or pitting? If you look at any copper pipe you can see is it black? You need to look at these things, because frankly, you don't want your outlets andswitches all going bad, they could burn out ans short circuit, Spewing flames out of them.

If you seriously have a problem this widespread in your house I would now be looking hard at it. PM me if you want to about it.

No it has not been "remodeled" not in the actual sense of the word

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are they the push button switches? I think you nailed it when you said you twist the bulbs out though.

BTW, there's a place near my granddads house that has a lot of bottle dumps on the other side of the railroad tracks if you're interested.

Last time I was up there, 2011, the tracks were gone. Probly forgotten by now.

thanks dave ! I'm not really into Bottle dumps.
I like finding bottles, but at my age (or should I say state of health)
Digging bottle dumps are a thing of the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread