dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some of bottled water has calcium chloride in it. Maybe just enough to keep from freezing?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I certainly don't know the answer to this question.... but it is a good one.

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aliens.........

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know El Nino

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Some of bottled water has calcium chloride in it. Maybe just enough to keep from freezing?

I think Dieselram hit it with the salt content. We use to add it to mortar cement when I was doing bricklaying so we could work in freezing weather. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So we add salt to our drinking water?? Bad... Good??? Did I hear this right?

(NOT MINE.... I'm lucky. I get natural soft water right out of the ground and a lot of it). I was so fortunate.

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ice mountain is pure spring water?

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it is distilled water or water that is low in minerals, it will not freeze easily.

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I sure if you jostle the bottle it would have started the of the one that didnt freeze it, it would have crystalized to ice.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a thought, the ice mountain jugs, look on jug, was it bottled in Pennsylvania ? Reason I ask is we buy ice mountain in both small bottles which are bottled from springs here in Michigan, but the gallon or larger sized ones sold here are bottled in pa. The small ones freeze, but the big ones don't.
I had to shop around to find small ones from pa and what do you know they barely freeze either.
So yeah you have me very curious on that.

Mike

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have an old fashion Amish spring house for my water supply. It taste great. I had it tested by U of MD. They sent me a list of the contents and classified it as good drinking water. I called them up and asked them what all those contents were. They said it was an artesian spring and those were the minerals in it, all good. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is the spring water has more dissolved oxygen. A plumber will tell you that hot water pipes freeze before cold water pipes but often don't know why. When water is heated the dissolved oxygen (the stuff fishes live on) is released. The dissolved oxygen acts as a slight freeze inhibitor. Sort of an insulation.

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is the spring water has more dissolved oxygen. A plumber will tell you that hot water pipes freeze before cold water pipes but often don't know why. When water is heated the dissolved oxygen (the stuff fishes live on) is released. The dissolved oxygen acts as a slight freeze inhibitor. Sort of an insulation.

Why would they boil spring water? The ones that didn't freeze were bottled in Michigan. I called ice Mt. and the supervisor thought it was something called super cooling but I tried that by shaking the other one, So the mystery is ???

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I still believe the calcium chloride is the reason. Is it listed as an ingredient on the label?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I was in college we learned that it had more to do with covalent bonding with other h2o molecules? They relax when heated and the water is less dense.

And I agree with Diesel. It probably has to do with salt content. :dontknow:

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Why would they boil spring water? The ones that didn't freeze were bottled in Michigan. I called ice Mt. and the supervisor thought it was something called super cooling but I tried that by shaking the other one, So the mystery is ???

I don't care what one froze. Not saying anyone boiled the water. It's just a matter of dissolved oxygen. You don't have to cook water to release oxygen. You can let it sit just the way a glass of water will go flat after being in the air for awhile. The flat taste is lack of dissolved oxygen.
Supercooling is another thing. Water droplets in the upper atmosphere can exist in clean air down to temperatures as low as -40degC. The freeze point of water changes with pressure same as the boiling point.
Just saying what ever jug froze had less dissolved oxygen that the other.

Salt lowers the boiling point too but you would notice the taste. You'd need to test percentages in distilled water along with different minerals. The 32 degF is with distilled water at sea level.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were bottling water and selling it to the masses you can bet I would filter it, boil it, chlorinate it, soften it (by exchanging cl for na) and I might even ozonate it and then Ultraviolet light it! Then have a continuous auto sampling for chemical traces. But it wouldn't come out of the ground and get sent straight to the public,, nooooo.

Sure is litigious out here.:occasion14:
And THAT is why we have beer.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
If I were bottling water and selling it to the masses you can bet I would filter it, boil it, chlorinate it, soften it (by exchanging cl for na) and I might even ozonate it and then Ultraviolet light it! Then have a continuous auto sampling for chemical traces. But it wouldn't come out of the ground and get sent straight to the public,, nooooo.

Sure is litigious out here.:occasion14:
And THAT is why we have beer.

The water you describe would have NO customers. In my home because I'm on a well and do at times have sulfur dioxide I run my water through a green sand filter then to a ion exchange softener then to an activated carbon filter. It's OK but it's not as good as many natural spring waters are. What makes good water is when no one messes with it. Good spring water has a good balance of minerals and enough dissolved oxygen to give it the sparkle people want. It's all because it's natural that we like it.
Your idea of water is what many municipalities send to your tap. BTW you forgot to fluoridate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread