The most outrageous thing Ive ever read!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
The most outrageous thing I've ever read!

I have read some really outrageous things before, but this takes first prize..
Canada?s first crack pipe vending machines come to Vancouver | CTV Vancouver News
View attachment 943678
A non-profit organization has installed the country’s first-ever crack pipe vending machines in Vancouver in a new bid to halt the spread of disease in the city’s Downtown Eastside.
The Portland Hotel Society has been operating two of the machines – which dispense Pyrex crack pipes in exchange for just $0.25 – in the Washington Market and the PHS’s Drug Users Resource Centre for the last six months.
“For us, this was about increasing access to safer inahalation supplies in the Downtown Eastside,” said Kailin See, director of the DURC.

Though many programs provide pipes for drug users in the neighbourhood, it’s usually on a one pipe per person per day basis, according to See. Vending machines allow addicts to purchase as many as they need, with each $0.25 per pipe barely covering production costs..
“They don’t run the risk of then sharing pipes, or pipes that are chipped or broken,” See said. “Everything from flu, colds, cold sores, HIV: If you cut your lip on a pipe that someone else has been using, there are risks there.”
Appearance-wise, the machines don’t look much different than a regular vending machine. Covered in colourful polka dots, the only indication these aren’t your run-of-the-mill snack machines is a blue sign at the top that reads “PIPES” in bold red lettering, and, of course, the pipes inside.
“It looks funny, and that’s kind of part of it,” See said making this not look like a scary or stigmatized thing. This is a very important thing for the community and we thought we wanted to make it look really snazzy.”
But it’s not all fun and games – the society hopes the machines will spark a broader conversation about the positive benefits of harm reduction.
“This is one piece of the larger puzzle,” See said. “You have to have treatment, you have to have detox, you have to have safe spaces to use your drugs of choice and you have to have safe and clean supplies.”
Mariner Janes, the manager of the PHS’ mobile needle exchange, said the concept took about a year-and-a-half of production until the machines were debuted.
So far, response from the DTES community has been positive.
“Through and through, the people that are using the machine and need the pipes are kind of in dire need of the supplies, and really it’s a health care kind of item,” he said. “The pipes on the streets themselves can get very expensive, just because they’re kind of scarce.”
See said the machine at the drug users centre routinely sells out every week.
But beyond the borders of Canada’s poorest postal code, reaction may not be so favourable.
The federal government has shown its disapproval of harm reduction measures when it tried to shut down Vancouver’s safe injection site, InSite, in 2008.
InSite survived thanks to a Supreme Court of Canada ruling that upheld the site’s exemption under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.
While the machines might only further the perception of the DTES as a community burdened by drug addictions and mental illnesses, those involved hope to see their popularity rise. They're the first of their kind in Canada, according to the society.
“I have had some people say to me, “Ah, only in Vancouver,” Janes said. “I’d like to think that this is not the only place that this could happen. I’d like to see this idea go all over the place.”
A report published last year by the B.C. Centre of Excellence in HIV/AIDS found that from 1996 to 2011, fewer people in the community were using drugs and injecting drugs, and attributed the drop to harm reduction methods.
The study also found that illicit drugs continue to be easily available on the streets of Vancouver, despite policing enforcement efforts.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bet toronto mayor heading there now

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The world is certainly changing...

Most crackheads would just use a semi crushed beer can with some pin holes on the side. Suck in through the pop-top hole. Don't know how much of a market there is for new pipes...

I remember when you couldn't buy a syringe without a prescription. That changed to help combat AIDS. Anyone can buy them now.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The world is certainly changing...

Most crackheads would just use a semi crushed beer can with some pin holes on the side. Suck in through the pop-top hole. Don't know how much of a market there is for new pipes...

I remember when you couldn't buy a syringe without a prescription. That changed to help combat AIDS. Anyone can buy them now.

Back a long time ago you could be arrested if you had a syringe without a prescription.

And now this....

This world ain't going where I want to go anymore....

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep em strupid and they'll vote your way.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to keep your population from thinking on their own, no better way to dumb them up than messing up their minds. A doped up populace is easy to control. Gee, I hope I'm not being political; it might be against the rules to point this out. :)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no that would put people out of work!

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure why not..there are already marijuana vending machines..crack is the logical next step ???

What's next ? Already have em for condoms, used to be CIG vending machines..though I haven't seen one in years..oh yeah have vending machines here in Michigan for instant lottery tickets.
Yeah what else? Red box for movies and video games...bleh talk about a blockbuster killer.
Makes me long for the good old days, when some kid counted my bottle returns at the grocery store, or better yet when a cashier rang up my purchases and another kid bagged em..now it's u-scan-n-bag

Yeah times have changed and keep changing..really wish I had lived my life any time in the 1800's

Mike

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is only one thing wrong with the machine... it doesn't come with any Chore-Boy. :tongue3: lol. I thought everyone ('cept the mayor) is in to meth nowadays anyway. Oh yeah, this is Canada were talking about. They are a few years behind in the drug scene. lol.

PS- That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Damn crackheads don't want new pipes. They want more crack.

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that machine take food stamps or do the stamp recipients still have to go through their normal currency conversion on the streets?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does that machine take food stamps or do the stamp recipients still have to go through their normal currency conversion on the streets?

Damn packerbacker.... you just gave this retired idiot a GREAT IDEA. Since no politician cares about the currency conversion of stamp recipients... I THINK I'LL ADVERTISE openly to do just this. I'll publicly say where I'll be and when and then exchange. You think maybe 50% - 65% of face value will work? What's the going rate? Anybody know? Hell, I'll cut my food bill down A LOT!!!!! I'm probably already late and lot's of folks are doing this.... but I'll be the first to publicly do it and defy law enforcement to do anything. Stay tuned.... this could be fun. The politicians are probably already doing it!!!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Selling yourself short at 50-65%..people around here sell their children's benefits for as little as 25 cents on the dollar..but that's the pain pill addicts.
:BangHead:

Mike

I'm just being an ass here on purpose..... But truly... what would happen if someone "set up shop" openly to do just this....? Think that would get some attention? And I mean if someone took out an ad or posted flyers around to cash in the Govt. benefits for cash? I'd really like to know..... seriously.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck... me sitting on a street corner with a sign offering to "cash" in cards is no worse than you putting coins in parking meters for other folks in front of law enforcement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread