Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the names of my ancestors and where they hailed from. Put that in a pot and stir it all up and that's what I am. McNair - Scotland, Beatty - England, Simmons - England, Miller - German/Dutch, Rice - Cherokee Indian, Rainbolt - Cherokee Indian, Ross - Cherokee Indian, Asbury - don't know what country but she was Rhodan Asbury, grandaughter of the founder of the Methodist Church? Now guess what I am? A mongrel! Monty

P.S. An aunt of mine on the McNair side traced our family back to Scotland in the early 1700s. They spelled it McNary then. My Grandfather was named Bruce McNair after Robert the Bruce.

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Several members of my extended family have compiled family trees going back to the 1500's. Nearly all of my relatives are from Northern Germany (Herbern area). Some of my relatives have gone back and visited distant cousins over there. I hope to make a trip over there before I depart this earth...

I was appointed (volunteered...) to be the family historian so I have originals and/or copies of a bunch of family tree documents, photographs, and even the original "sea pass" my great-grandfather used to come to America in 1855 (below). Priceless.

Joe

1855 Sea Pass.jpg

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys you got some interesting stories and family relations !!

Interesting also that so many of you know about your family history.

wolfmanjoe3 , that "königlich preussischer Reisepass für das Ausland" is awesome !!! :o :)

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
agersea - Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Fluent?

My German is verrrry rusty. Two years of foreign language in college 25 years ago doesn't cut it. I've been meaning to translate this document - just haven't had time to sit down with my German-English dictionary. If you are fluent and would be willing to translate it for me, let me know here or via private message.

Joe

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wolfmanjoe3 said:
agersea - Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Fluent?

My German is verrrry rusty. Two years of foreign language in college 25 years ago doesn't cut it. I've been meaning to translate this document - just haven't had time to sit down with my German-English dictionary. If you are fluent and would be willing to translate it for me, let me know here or via private message.

Joe

Hi wolfmanjoe3

As you know I´m from Denmark, but I also happen to teach German !! ;D

It would be a pleasure for me to help you with this !!

Could you please post a larger picture of the passport ??

Regards
agersea

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
WOW...a topic of my heart!!!

I love genealogy and love researching it and helping others get started on their quest of their roots. I have been doing this since 1974.

My mother's side: Her grandmother was born in the Manchester, Leeds area of England. She came over in 1895 (from ship's manifest I was able to locate). Her first hubby died in England and they had two children. One child, a dau, died on the ship coming over, from what I am told. Two children are listed on the manifest, but nothing stating this dau died.

I also found a census record with her oldest, a son, and another dau. My great grandmum married two more times, having 3 kids with second husband and 2 with the third. One of them being my Nani (mom's mom).

My mother's father's side: came to the US in 1852 from Prussia. I was told the husband and youngest boy came over first to settle and the wife and 3 other sons came over later. Well, on a manifest I was able to find the 4 brothers coming over together, in 1852, but I can not find anything on Mom and Pop. Still searching. They settled after living in what is now Wisconsin for some time, in Mankato, Minnesota. SAENGER is the name and my great grandfather, Pete Saenger, married a Mary Theissen (also from Germany). I even have the church and all where my 2nd great grandparents were married (the ones I can't find on the manifest, but found their 4 sons)

My father's father was born in Dundalk, Co Louth, Ireland and came to the US with two older brothers in April 1914. I took my boys to NYC (where my family settled) and we went to Ellis Island and found the ship (California) that my grandfather came over on and the manifest listing him and his two older brothers. They came to live with their aunt (sister to their father) after their mother passed away of heart failure at age 42. I have her death certificate and birth certificates of my grandfather and some of his siblings and the marriage certificate of his parents. They were married in Ardee. I tried contacting the church, but never received a response :(

My father's mother, well, her mother was born in Ireland (still researching her) and her father was born, I was told, in Copenhagen, Denmark. His name was Jens Christensen (so many of them ... like John Smith's in the US!!!). Story told is that he wanted to go back to Denmark and Anna did not want to. She stayed in NYC with her son and dau (my grandma) and he left for Denmark. I can not find them on the 1920 census, but found them on the 1930 and it list the Anna as a widow. So, I am not sure of the accuracy of this story. I am still searching the 1920 census records, trying every variation of names. My grandma was born in 1915, so I know she would be listed as either 4 or 5 on the census records and her brother would have been about 8. So, they are out there, just have to search more.

My ex hubby's family (my dau's dad)....lots of Indian history. Was told they were of Cherokee blood line, well, I have not found anything of such. I have however, found out my dau is Miami, Quapaw, and Chippewah (?). The town of Cardin, Oklahoma was named after her gr gr uncle, Oscar Cardin, brother to her 2nd gr grandma. She married a German by the name of Weinheimer. (still researching that surname). STATON is also another name as well as RICHARDVILLE and POOLER (both had Chief's of the Miami Indians). Been finding lots of great articles searching the newspapers on her Indian roots. Trying to see if I can get her registered with the Miami tribe. We do have a number for her great grandmother, but her grandmother (still living) never was registered.

As for ex hubby's Dad's side...well, we just had a twist in the family roots. Turns out, my ex father in law was born out of wedlock. He only met his real father about 2 years ago (he's in his 60's now, my ex father in law). His mother passed away about 2 yrs ago and before she passed, she told him to truth of his parentage and helped him find his real father. His real father still living in NY (upstate)....I love a juicy story!!! LOL

My current hubby, we have two boys together. His family (dad's side) are from the Outer Banks. If anyone is familiar with MIDGETTE's (various spellings, MIDYET, MIDYETT, MIDYETTE, MIDGET, and MIDGETT...all related!!!!!).........that's his family. There are many stories passed over through the generations as to how the family came to be here. One was a Matthew Midyett was washed ashore on a molasses barrel from a shipwreck. Another is Matthew and his brother landed in Ireland (I think it was, have to look it up) and married PAYNE sisters. Another shows records for a Matthew Midyett (MUDGETT) in Arundale Co, MD and his father was to have been John. Matthew married Judith White and they settled on what is now known as Bodie Island, before the lighthouse. The old Salvo Campground on HWY 12 on the Outer Banks was owned once by my hubbys 6-7th gr grandfather. He is buried there along with his wife and other family members. Back in 1995 when I stopped there and took videos, I videoed the entire burial area. We went back last summer and Bannister Midgett's headstone was still there, however, his wife, Dolly, her headstone was broken off!!!! Thank goodness I recorded it back in 1995!!! So, my hubby has alot of history in the Outer Banks. Also, story has it, Dolly, his 6-7th great grandmother was to have been Indian, but no one knows anymore than that!!!

Hubby's mom, well, she was born in Bryson, Jack Co, Texas. Her family moved to Texas in the 1850's from Pennsylvania. In PA, it was the REEP's and in the bluegrass country of W.VA (as it's known now :))....it was the RIDDEL's (various spellings, Riddle and Riddell). Both these families moved to Texas and they met up there. In W.VA, the Riddel's married alot of GOFF). The Reep's were in the Butler area of PA. We went to a family reunion there back in 1996.

Oh, my step father: he is 1st cousin to Jay Greenspan (other wise known as Jason Alexander, played GEORGE on Seinfeld) and my step sister and brother are cousin's to Micheal Lembeck, who played Mckenzie Phillips husband on ONE DAY AT A TIME. No blood to me, but still interesting. And my late step grandma, Molly, she and her hubby, grandpa Willy, were from Poland. Grandma Molly came over during WWII, she lost her parents and siblings in the Holacaust. Grandpa Willie's family had been in NYC since the early 1900's and were in the Lady's Lingerie business. So fitting for Grandpa Willie, he was the character!!! Also, that GREENSPAN dude, the one in politics, is somehow related to my Grandma Molly, that was her maiden name, but I never did ask her and wish I did now...on her connection to him. She told me she was, but I never inquired more about it...silly me!!!!!!!!!!!

So, that is a run down on my family history. You asked, I told LOL..... I can't go anywhere without snapping photos of cemeteries, plaques, scanning photos, etc.....

But when it all comes down to the nitty gritty, we are all brothers and sisters!!!!

HH ya'll,
Annmarie

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann said:
WOW...a topic of my heart!!!

I love genealogy and love researching it and helping others get started on their quest of their roots. I have been doing this since 1974.

My mother's side: Her grandmother was born in the Manchester, Leeds area of England. She came over in 1895 (from ship's manifest I was able to locate). Her first hubby died in England and they had two children. One child, a dau, died on the ship coming over, from what I am told. Two children are listed on the manifest, but nothing stating this dau died.

I also found a census record with her oldest, a son, and another dau. My great grandmum married two more times, having 3 kids with second husband and 2 with the third. One of them being my Nani (mom's mom).

My mother's father's side: came to the US in 1852 from Prussia. I was told the husband and youngest boy came over first to settle and the wife and 3 other sons came over later. Well, on a manifest I was able to find the 4 brothers coming over together, in 1852, but I can not find anything on Mom and Pop. Still searching. They settled after living in what is now Wisconsin for some time, in Mankato, Minnesota. SAENGER is the name and my great grandfather, Pete Saenger, married a Mary Theissen (also from Germany). I even have the church and all where my 2nd great grandparents were married (the ones I can't find on the manifest, but found their 4 sons)

My father's father was born in Dundalk, Co Louth, Ireland and came to the US with two older brothers in April 1914. I took my boys to NYC (where my family settled) and we went to Ellis Island and found the ship (California) that my grandfather came over on and the manifest listing him and his two older brothers. They came to live with their aunt (sister to their father) after their mother passed away of heart failure at age 42. I have her death certificate and birth certificates of my grandfather and some of his siblings and the marriage certificate of his parents. They were married in Ardee. I tried contacting the church, but never received a response :(

My father's mother, well, her mother was born in Ireland (still researching her) and her father was born, I was told, in Copenhagen, Denmark. His name was Jens Christensen (so many of them ... like John Smith's in the US!!!). Story told is that he wanted to go back to Denmark and Anna did not want to. She stayed in NYC with her son and dau (my grandma) and he left for Denmark. I can not find them on the 1920 census, but found them on the 1930 and it list the Anna as a widow. So, I am not sure of the accuracy of this story. I am still searching the 1920 census records, trying every variation of names. My grandma was born in 1915, so I know she would be listed as either 4 or 5 on the census records and her brother would have been about 8. So, they are out there, just have to search more.

My ex hubby's family (my dau's dad)....lots of Indian history. Was told they were of Cherokee blood line, well, I have not found anything of such. I have however, found out my dau is Miami, Quapaw, and Chippewah (?). The town of Cardin, Oklahoma was named after her gr gr uncle, Oscar Cardin, brother to her 2nd gr grandma. She married a German by the name of Weinheimer. (still researching that surname). STATON is also another name as well as RICHARDVILLE and POOLER (both had Chief's of the Miami Indians). Been finding lots of great articles searching the newspapers on her Indian roots. Trying to see if I can get her registered with the Miami tribe. We do have a number for her great grandmother, but her grandmother (still living) never was registered.

As for ex hubby's Dad's side...well, we just had a twist in the family roots. Turns out, my ex father in law was born out of wedlock. He only met his real father about 2 years ago (he's in his 60's now, my ex father in law). His mother passed away about 2 yrs ago and before she passed, she told him to truth of his parentage and helped him find his real father. His real father still living in NY (upstate)....I love a juicy story!!! LOL

My current hubby, we have two boys together. His family (dad's side) are from the Outer Banks. If anyone is familiar with MIDGETTE's (various spellings, MIDYET, MIDYETT, MIDYETTE, MIDGET, and MIDGETT...all related!!!!!).........that's his family. There are many stories passed over through the generations as to how the family came to be here. One was a Matthew Midyett was washed ashore on a molasses barrel from a shipwreck. Another is Matthew and his brother landed in Ireland (I think it was, have to look it up) and married PAYNE sisters. Another shows records for a Matthew Midyett (MUDGETT) in Arundale Co, MD and his father was to have been John. Matthew married Judith White and they settled on what is now known as Bodie Island, before the lighthouse. The old Salvo Campground on HWY 12 on the Outer Banks was owned once by my hubbys 6-7th gr grandfather. He is buried there along with his wife and other family members. Back in 1995 when I stopped there and took videos, I videoed the entire burial area. We went back last summer and Bannister Midgett's headstone was still there, however, his wife, Dolly, her headstone was broken off!!!! Thank goodness I recorded it back in 1995!!! So, my hubby has alot of history in the Outer Banks. Also, story has it, Dolly, his 6-7th great grandmother was to have been Indian, but no one knows anymore than that!!!

Hubby's mom, well, she was born in Bryson, Jack Co, Texas. Her family moved to Texas in the 1850's from Pennsylvania. In PA, it was the REEP's and in the bluegrass country of W.VA (as it's known now :))....it was the RIDDEL's (various spellings, Riddle and Riddell). Both these families moved to Texas and they met up there. In W.VA, the Riddel's married alot of GOFF). The Reep's were in the Butler area of PA. We went to a family reunion there back in 1996.

Oh, my step father: he is 1st cousin to Jay Greenspan (other wise known as Jason Alexander, played GEORGE on Seinfeld) and my step sister and brother are cousin's to Micheal Lembeck, who played Mckenzie Phillips husband on ONE DAY AT A TIME. No blood to me, but still interesting. And my late step grandma, Molly, she and her hubby, grandpa Willy, were from Poland. Grandma Molly came over during WWII, she lost her parents and siblings in the Holacaust. Grandpa Willie's family had been in NYC since the early 1900's and were in the Lady's Lingerie business. So fitting for Grandpa Willie, he was the character!!! Also, that GREENSPAN dude, the one in politics, is somehow related to my Grandma Molly, that was her maiden name, but I never did ask her and wish I did now...on her connection to him. She told me she was, but I never inquired more about it...silly me!!!!!!!!!!!

So, that is a run down on my family history. You asked, I told LOL..... I can't go anywhere without snapping photos of cemeteries, plaques, scanning photos, etc.....

But when it all comes down to the nitty gritty, we are all brothers and sisters!!!!

HH ya'll,
Annmarie

Hi Annmarie

Very interesting that you have so much knowledge about your relatives !!

Do you also have the original Ellis Island files about them ??

regards
agersea

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Agersea,

I did receive copies of the ship's manifest and the photo of the ship that Grandpa and his brothers came over on.

It's funny, I knew my grandfather was born in Ireland and came over as a young lad, but never knew more than that. After I retired from the Navy, I got full force into genealogy and went to the LDS Family History Center (Mormon Church) with my now deceased step father-in-law, as he wanted to know about his roots. He so loved researching his family!!! I still continue to research his roots for him, because of his love of knowning and the excitement he got when he found another connection!

Anyways, while at the church, a young woman came up to me and asked if I was researching BYRNE in Alabama. I said I was researching BYRNES in NYC, but my step father-in-law was researching ARRIGHI in Alabama. She said her family came from NYC and her grandfather was Eugene. I said I had an uncle named Eugene. She then said her mother was Joan and I told her I had a sister named Joan, infact she was Joan Elizabeth, named after my father's sister. She said she also had an aunt named Elizabeth. Then she proceeded to say that she had a great aunt Alice and great uncle Frank and I was floored!!! I said, "OMG, they are my grandparents!!!" Turned out that Nancy and I were second cousins. Her grandfather was one of the older brothers of my grandfather that came over in 1914!!! Nancy has been in Va Beach since 1981 and I have been here since 1978. Nancy's father came to visit her and we got together for lunch. He told me some wonderful stories of my father and of the times Nancy and I even played together. Nancy is abt 3 yrs older than I am. He even gave me my birth announcement (it was at that time, 39 yrs old!!!) that my parents sent out when I was born!!!...what a wonderful surprise it was. Nancy and I don't remember playing together LOL. We have had family reunions and I even met Nancy's siblings and her first cousins...it was really nice.

So, you never know who is around the corner!!!

But I love helping others too. At present, I have been doing local research for the Hampton Roads area of Va Beach. All my work is prior to 31 Dec 1999 (anything after that date, I leave up to the next generations to complete). I am trying to gather all data I can on individuals who settled here, and have the largest family tree of any city/town (which does include my family, as my children were born here). It's a very time consuming project, but I so enjoy it. I research at the courthouses, started recording cemeteries (headstones) by taking photos of all the headstones in the cemetery. I try to research what I can of the individuals buried there. There are so many in this area, but lately, have been trying to get these small "mom and pop" cemeteries, before development comes in and removes them (it does happen, sadly)....

I try to teach my kids that it's important to know from where they come from, to know where they are headed. Our ancestors all came over for many different reasons, some very similiar and to teach my kids to be proud of their name and wear it proudly!!!

So, yes, I have quite a bit of knowledge of my family (and some not so nice knowledge, but some things I don't advertise, I don't think society is ready to reveal and accept some things!) So, anyone reading this, I would be happy to get you started if you have an interest in your roots. I NEVER charge....I get pleasure in helping others find their roots!!!

I could go on with some awesome stories of some folks I helped...but that would be another thread!!! LOL They were all HAPPY ENDINGS!!!!!!!!!!

Blessings to all and research if you haven't....it's rewarding to me!!!

HH,
Annmarie

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, annmarie !!

Phantastic how much you know !! ;D

I was looking a little on the name Mary Theissen, because Theissen isn´t a common name at all.

Just for the fun of it I looked at the Ellis Island home page, and there are actually only 2 persons fitting that name.
But I guess you know already, when she came to the USA ?

regards
agersea

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wolfmanjoe3 said:
If you are curious to find out how many people have a given last name (and first name), go to http://howmanyofme.com/

Kinda neat.

Joe

Hi wolfmanjoe3 :)

Please check you mail !!
There was something wrong with the picture file in the mail you sent me !!! ???

Guess you´ll have to sent it again !

Regards
agersea

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
agersea said:
Wow, annmarie !!

I was looking a little on the name Mary Theissen, because Theissen isn´t a common name at all.

Just for the fun of it I looked at the Ellis Island home page, and there are actually only 2 persons fitting that name.

regards
agersea

Wow...I did not know that about Theissen, as it not being a common name...interesting. Well, as for Mary, she was born 11 Nov 1872 in Mankato, Blue Earth Co, Minnesota. Her father was John Nicholaus (Nikolaus) Theissen (but went by Nicholas. He was a bit difficult to research as he used his middle name LOL). Gr Gr Grandpa Nick Theissen was born 13 July 1842 in Manderfeld, Germany, but died in 1896 in Mankato. He married Anna K. Ekstein/Eckstein on 15 Feb 1870 in Minnesota. Anna was born 11 Feb 1845 in Neuhausl, Rosshaupt, Austria (now Rozvadov CZ Republic from what I am told, haven't researched that part). Her father was Adelbert Ekstein/Eckstein and her mother was Theresia Bonwer Plobner. Not sure if Bonwer was her middle name or previous married name....but that is as far as I got on Anna's family.

As for Gr Gr Grandpa Nick Theissen, his father was also John Nicholaus (Nikolas) Theissen. I do not have the name of his mother, but he had two brothers, Henry (B: abt 1842) and Hubert (B: abt 1852).

Now, Gr Gr Grandpa Nick Theissen owned a wagon shop in Mankato and was to have built the first two wagons for the Ringling Brothers circus. I even have a newspaper article printed many years after that talks about it. After he died, Gr Gr Grandma Anna made a restuarant out of the wagon shop. From a distant cousin in Mankato, he sent me a pic of her in front of the restuarant. I have also seen family and documents spell their name several ways: Theissen, Thiessen or both ways with only one "s".

My Gr Grandpa Pete Saenger (many of the family dropped the first "e" and spelled it SANGER, as my grandfather did), he owned a livery stable in Mankato. He had famous race horses stabled up there, one being Dan Patch, if you are familiar with famous race horses :)

When I get stuck on a line, I go to another and switch back and forth lol....until I get it all. Guess I need to get back on this lineage...huh?

To tell you one story I did...a man from Pennsylvania contacted me to help find a marriage certificate for an Alonzo Parker and his wife (can't remember her name off hand). Well, I was going to head to the courthouse, but something told me to go to the library. So, off I went and saw they have the Virginia Beach Sun newspaper on Mircrofilm. I never researched that and decided to give it a shot and see what kind of local info I could gather from it. I chose the first month of publication, which was in 1935 (Feb, I believe)...anyways, about halfway through the first reel, an article on the bottom left caught my eye....the name of Alonzo Parker was there. So I printed that page, then went to the Va Pilot paper on microfilm and looked up that date, as the article talked about Alonzo dying sometime in the night at a gas station he worked at. Well, I found his obituary. It listed children and that he was also a veteran of the Spanish American War. OMG....I was so excited. So, I contacted this individual back for verification I had the right person....and IT WAS! He was so excited. He ordered the military record of Alonzo and received 3 MORE GENERATIONS BACK!!!!

There was a time during wars, when men had to fill out lots of family history, in order to prove their service and entitlement to pay, etc. Apparently, that is what Alonzo had done....and you know, I never did get that marriage certificate!!! LOL....this happened about 12 years ago!

Another one, a woman contacted me about her father. Said he was 71 yrs old and was trying to find info on his father and mother. His parents were divorced and she wanted to know if I could find anything at the courthouse. Well, first, this man at age 61, tried to get a copy of his birth certificate, but they had nothing on him on file. He was like, I know when and where I was born....it turned out, the name he was given was HIS STEP-FATHER's name (the man who raised him)...he never knew he was adopted, unofficially. Well, he found out his real name and found out his had a younger brother and sister, but these siblings would not accept him without proof, saying their father was NEVER married before their mom. So, that is why I was contacted. Well, I went to the courthouse, found the divorce records and in those records, was a picture of a man, and from reading the transcripts, was the husband of this man's mother, his father. I asked the girl if she could print a copy of the pic and she gave me a hard time saying it won't come out good. I finally said to copy the blasted thing, I am a graphic artist and I can make that pic presentable.....anyways, got home, scanned everything in, including the pic after cleaning it up and sent it off....all I got back was OMG, THAT'S HIM...she told me how her father looked and looked at that pic, probably burned a hole in it looking at it so much....he was 71 years old and that was the first time he EVER SAW A PIC of his father!!!!!!!!! Made me feel real good!!!!

Ok...rattled enough....lol.....Happy Researching all, be it in the ground or in the courthouse!!!
Annmarie

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
One of my, 6th great grandfathers on my mother's side was from Scotland. He came from Glasgow with an uncle (I don't know maternal or paternal) who was a British officer to Nova Scotia and got into trouble with the law (we don't know what kind of trouble) and the uncle was going to send him home. So, naturally, being a hard headed teen he ran away to Worchester, Mass, and joined the Massechusetts Militia sometime during the Revolution. He fought in the Revolution against the British and actually spent time in the Sugar House Prison, and on a prison ship on the Hudson. He actually escaped twice and was caught a total of 3 times. Apparently, it is thought they tortured the tar out of him too. There are about 15 generations and hundreds, maybe a thousand, individuals that are very lucky that he did not get executed, or die during the torture. After the war he became an Old School Baptist preacher in Roxbury Delaware County, NY where it is said he used to preach in an apron and absolutely HATED the British for what they did to him. Oh boy he would be hot if he knew we were allies with them now!
We also know that my fathers, maternal grandparents were Irish imigrants but we do not know from where in Ireland or when they emmigrated. We know that they came into Boston about turn of the century. My fathers great grandfather is thought to have been PA Dutch but we haven't found the proof yet. The family name is Myers so it sounds as though it may be true. The spelling is german and a common name among PA Dutch. As far as knowing any relatives who remain in other countries...haven't made any connections yet but I am sure there are probably many in Scotland and Germany.

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann said:
agersea said:
Wow, annmarie !!

regards
agersea

Wow...I did not know that about Theissen, as it not being a common name...interesting. Well, as for Mary, she was born 11 Nov 1872 in Mankato, Blue Earth Co, Minnesota. Her father was John Nicholaus (Nikolaus) Theissen (but went by Nicholas. He was a bit difficult to research as he used his middle name LOL). Gr Gr Grandpa Nick Theissen was born 13 July 1842 in Manderfeld, Germany, but died in 1896 in Mankato. He married Anna K. Ekstein/Eckstein on 15 Feb 1870 in Minnesota. Anna was born 11 Feb 1845 in Neuhausl, Rosshaupt, Austria (now Rozvadov CZ Republic from what I am told, haven't researched that part). Her father was Adelbert Ekstein/Eckstein and her mother was Theresia Bonwer Plobner. Not sure if Bonwer was her middle name or previous married name....but that is as far as I got on Anna's family.

As for Gr Gr Grandpa Nick Theissen, his father was also John Nicholaus (Nikolas) Theissen. I do not have the name of his mother, but he had two brothers, Henry (B: abt 1842) and Hubert (B: abt 1852).

Now, Gr Gr Grandpa Nick Theissen owned a wagon shop in Mankato and was to have built the first two wagons for the Ringling Brothers circus. I even have a newspaper article printed many years after that talks about it. After he died, Gr Gr Grandma Anna made a restuarant out of the wagon shop. From a distant cousin in Mankato, he sent me a pic of her in front of the restuarant. I have also seen family and documents spell their name several ways: Theissen, Thiessen or both ways with only one "s".

My Gr Grandpa Pete Saenger (many of the family dropped the first "e" and spelled it SANGER, as my grandfather did), he owned a livery stable in Mankato. He had famous race horses stabled up there, one being Dan Patch, if you are familiar with famous race horses :)

When I get stuck on a line, I go to another and switch back and forth lol....until I get it all. Guess I need to get back on this lineage...huh?

To tell you one story I did...a man from Pennsylvania contacted me to help find a marriage certificate for an Alonzo Parker and his wife (can't remember her name off hand). Well, I was going to head to the courthouse, but something told me to go to the library. So, off I went and saw they have the Virginia Beach Sun newspaper on Mircrofilm. I never researched that and decided to give it a shot and see what kind of local info I could gather from it. I chose the first month of publication, which was in 1935 (Feb, I believe)...anyways, about halfway through the first reel, an article on the bottom left caught my eye....the name of Alonzo Parker was there. So I printed that page, then went to the Va Pilot paper on microfilm and looked up that date, as the article talked about Alonzo dying sometime in the night at a gas station he worked at. Well, I found his obituary. It listed children and that he was also a veteran of the Spanish American War. OMG....I was so excited. So, I contacted this individual back for verification I had the right person....and IT WAS! He was so excited. He ordered the military record of Alonzo and received 3 MORE GENERATIONS BACK!!!!

There was a time during wars, when men had to fill out lots of family history, in order to prove their service and entitlement to pay, etc. Apparently, that is what Alonzo had done....and you know, I never did get that marriage certificate!!! LOL....this happened about 12 years ago!

Another one, a woman contacted me about her father. Said he was 71 yrs old and was trying to find info on his father and mother. His parents were divorced and she wanted to know if I could find anything at the courthouse. Well, first, this man at age 61, tried to get a copy of his birth certificate, but they had nothing on him on file. He was like, I know when and where I was born....it turned out, the name he was given was HIS STEP-FATHER's name (the man who raised him)...he never knew he was adopted, unofficially. Well, he found out his real name and found out his had a younger brother and sister, but these siblings would not accept him without proof, saying their father was NEVER married before their mom. So, that is why I was contacted. Well, I went to the courthouse, found the divorce records and in those records, was a picture of a man, and from reading the transcripts, was the husband of this man's mother, his father. I asked the girl if she could print a copy of the pic and she gave me a hard time saying it won't come out good. I finally said to copy the blasted thing, I am a graphic artist and I can make that pic presentable.....anyways, got home, scanned everything in, including the pic after cleaning it up and sent it off....all I got back was OMG, THAT'S HIM...she told me how her father looked and looked at that pic, probably burned a hole in it looking at it so much....he was 71 years old and that was the first time he EVER SAW A PIC of his father!!!!!!!!! Made me feel real good!!!!

Ok...rattled enough....lol.....Happy Researching all, be it in the ground or in the courthouse!!!
Annmarie

Hi again Annmarie !!

The name Thiessen with the i first is actually much more common in Germany !!

To the name Saenger:

You write: "(many of the family dropped the first "e" and spelled it SANGER, as my grandfather did)"

I might think it could be kind of the other way round, meaning that the e shouldnt have been there in the first place !! ;)´

Coming from Germany, their name would surely have been spelled Sänger (meaning singer), now as the english language doesn´t have this (ä) people with this in their names chose in the english version of their names to use the other spelling possibility in German for the same sound. (ä = ae) Sänger = Saenger. Now as they might have been used to in Germany just to write Sanger and put two dots on top of the a, it was maybe easier for them just to throw the artificial e away and write Sanger.
(by the way the letter ä is pronounced like the e in very, or english. Or the a in name.)

Hope you follow me on this.

;D

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two nice stories too !! :) ;D

Thank you !!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My relatives are from Europe, but we dont keep in touch. My Moms parents Zaliadounis were refugees from Lithuania and my Grandfather used to write to relatives in Soviet prison, and my Mom used to send clothes, but I have not kept contact.

My Fathers mother, maiden name Hess, was from Germany. His father Mason is supposed to come from a long line of descendants from England, including the three George Masons. He was an original founding father and is credited for writing the American Bill of Rights. My gggggrandfather George Mason was also George Washingtons neighbor and best friend. We lost touch with most of the family. We Americans are a diverse mixture.

That would make me English, German, and Lithuanian. :)

Attachments

• george mason.gif
    george mason.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 320

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread