Where are your roots ??

M

MiniMe

A few years back our family had a family reunion. One of the cousins had been working on a family tree....he went back as far as 1826 where he found that Patrick Collins was born in Ireland, but he didn't state where in Ireland he was born or when he came over to the United States. So I know we are Irish and I know that my fathers side of the family was German, but don't know to many details about them. My grandmother on my mom's side was Irish & French. So I guess I'm a little, Irish, German & French and god only noes what else - guess I could say I'm a Mutt :D. Wish I had the time to research though, I'd like to visit Ireland some day and be able to go to the places where my family originated from. Good thread.

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MiniMe said:
A few years back our family had a family reunion. One of the cousins had been working on a family tree....he went back as far as 1826 where he found that Patrick Collins was born in Ireland, but he didn't state where in Ireland he was born or when he came over to the United States. So I know we are Irish and I know that my fathers side of the family was German, but don't know to many details about them. My grandmother on my mom's side was Irish & French. So I guess I'm a little, Irish, German & French and god only noes what else - guess I could say I'm a Mutt :D. Wish I had the time to research though, I'd like to visit Ireland some day and be able to go to the places where my family originated from. Good thread.

Very interesting MiniMe !! :)

Not only you guys in the US are a mixup of many nationalities, but of course more than we are in Europe.

I know that my grandfathers grandmother was from Sweden, and it is almost 100 % sure, that on my mothers side we have Spanish blood coming from Napoleons Spanish troops stationed in Denmark during the wars about 1807 - 1813.

So I guess we are all more or less mixes of all kinds of nationalities !!

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
All I know is as follows. My fathers ancesters came from france by way of England to virginia then to south Georgia. Mothers father was half Cherokee, half what else I dont know. Mothers mothers ancesters from england. Just never got around doing the family tree thing. Sonny

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Both sides from northern France, Normandie and Bretagne. technically French, but am half celtic and half viking.

Ancestors came across in 1600s, up the Saint Lawrence river, to settle in eastern Quebec. Started farming, then into lumber trades. Family members moved to Edmunston, New Brunswick, across the border from Madawaska, Maine. Crossed over to the promised land in mid 1800s and became U.S. Citizens. Changed all their names(first and last) to English names in order to be treated better and get better jobs.

Charles I ( Charlemagne ), King of France is my 38th great grandfather. My brother and I have spent much time in the past 6 years going over geneaological records. Hardest job for us was decifering and cross-referencing immigration records to match the family. Still have a lifetime of work to do on it.

It has been fun!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
MEinWV said:
Both sides from northern France, Normandie and Bretagne. technically French, but am half celtic and half viking.

Ancestors came across in 1600s, up the Saint Lawrence river, to settle in eastern Quebec. Started farming, then into lumber trades. Family members moved to Edmunston, New Brunswick, across the border from Madawaska, Maine. Crossed over to the promised land in mid 1800s and became U.S. Citizens. Changed all their names(first and last) to English names in order to be treated better and get better jobs.

Charles I ( Charlemagne ), King of France is my 38th great grandfather. My brother and I have spent much time in the past 6 years going over geneaological records. Hardest job for us was decifering and cross-referencing immigration records to match the family. Still have a lifetime of work to do on it.

It has been fun!

WOW MeinWV....what a family history you have!!! I have yet to find that far back into my roots or of anyone of importance. I am sure I will find the rest as time goes on. Great work!

Still trying to see if I can connect to the English Royalty...due to some family surnames that fit in with them and some family "folklore"...but to date, nothing...guess that "rich uncle" is still eluding me!!! He's making me work for my inheritance LOL!!!!

Searching for ones roots is a never-ending hobby and an ever-lasting commitment :)

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEinWV said:

It has been fun!

Very interesting, MeinWV !!! :)

I was wondering, how did you get the knowledge about the very early branch of your family in the 1600s ??

Has the knowledge always been in the family, or did you dig up all that information yourself ?? :o

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
agersea said:
MEinWV said:

It has been fun!

I was wondering, how did you get the knowledge about the very early branch of your family in the 1600s ??

Has the knowledge always been in the family, or did you dig up all that information yourself ?? :o

The catholic church is responsible for the indepth information that led us back to the 1600s. The incredible amount of detailed info they have on the french catholic families that came to the new world is amazing. The close ties that families had with the church led to the precise record keeping that occured. Birth, Baptism, Marriage, and Death info was religiously recorded by the church.

When individual french families began to collect geneaological info, they had a relatively easy time of it, and soon amassed huge volumes of material in each family group. I was originally a Pelletier, and they had already done much of the tough work. Using immigration and census records on both sides of the border, we finally made all of the matches, that made it easy to plug our line into the rest of the Pelletier families. At that point, we were able to make the connections back to France,(the parents of the original 1600s immigrants). From that point, we started looking for other Pelletiers that had already "shot the lines" back in time. We eventually found concrete family ties into a line that has gone all the way back to Charles the first.

Anyone that has a french family background and is interested in finding their roots, are fortunate to have this vast wealth of info that has been gathered for them.

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEinWV said:
agersea said:
MEinWV said:

It has been fun!

The catholic church is responsible for the indepth information that led us back to the 1600s. The incredible amount of detailed info they have on the french catholic families that came to the new world is amazing. The close ties that families had with the church led to the precise record keeping that occured. Birth, Baptism, Marriage, and Death info was religiously recorded by the church.

When individual french families began to collect geneaological info, they had a relatively easy time of it, and soon amassed huge volumes of material in each family group. I was originally a Pelletier, and they had already done much of the tough work. Using immigration and census records on both sides of the border, we finally made all of the matches, that made it easy to plug our line into the rest of the Pelletier families. At that point, we were able to make the connections back to France,(the parents of the original 1600s immigrants). From that point, we started looking for other Pelletiers that had already "shot the lines" back in time. We eventually found concrete family ties into a line that has gone all the way back to Charles the first.

Anyone that has a french family background and is interested in finding their roots, are fortunate to have this vast wealth of info that has been gathered for them.

Thanks MEinWV !!

Explains it all. Must be fascinating to have such precise geneaological info !!

Regards
agersea

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I am fortunate to have those resources.

I have attempted to research for a person of German/Irish ancestry, but it seems almost impossible to find info.

Thanks for your interest.

..........ME in WV

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
I've done a lot of genealogy research over the last few years. It's amazing the stuff that you uncover. I've traced about seven lines back to the 1500's. Most of my relatives came from Sweden, the Netherlands, Germany, France, Ireland, and England. Most settled in the U.S. in the mid to late 1700's,although a couple of lines go back to the Swede and Dutch colonies in Pennsylvania/Delaware area in the late 1600's. My wife's side is English, German, and Serbian.

If any of you have Bankston, Van Doren, Lamping, Carpenter, Eddison, Peter, or Talley in your line, let me know! We might be related and I can borrow money off you.

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PimpLenin said:
I've done a lot of genealogy research over the last few years. It's amazing the stuff that you uncover. I've traced about seven lines back to the 1500's. Most of my relatives came from Sweden, the Netherlands, Germany, France, Ireland, and England. Most settled in the U.S. in the mid to late 1700's,although a couple of lines go back to the Swede and Dutch colonies in Pennsylvania/Delaware area in the late 1600's. My wife's side is English, German, and Serbian.

If any of you have Bankston, Van Doren, Lamping, Carpenter, Eddison, Peter, or Talley in your line, let me know! We might be related and I can borrow money off you.

Hi PimpLenin !!

Very impressive !! :o

How did you trace back that far ?? Do you have genealogical knowledge also from files in those European countries ??

PS: unfortunately you can´t borrow money from me, I think !! ;D :D :D :D

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way ??

Anybody her (except USTiger) with DANISH roots ?? ??

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
English for as far back as i can trace on both sides of the family. that explains why i hate the sun!! ::) there is no sun in england!! ;D

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
@ agersea:

Thanks for your response. I guess the two main reasons why I've been able to trace some of the lines back far is because I've had previous relatives do a lot of research which I inherited and am carrying on, or the lines have been well researched already. The "pioneer" familes, such as the Bankstons and Van Dorens, have been well researched by others because some of the earlier members of the families were prominant in pre-Revolutionary colonial affairs, etc.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Part or my ancestors came over on slave ships. And some of them where already here. I'm African, French, German, Irish, Indian and Spanish. My label is, Creole.

HH

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
agersea said:
By the way ??

Anybody her (except USTiger) with DANISH roots ?? ??

Hmmm, nobody at all ?? ?? ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread