Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost every one of us knows about the SR-71, the fastest, highest, and coolest plane ever flown. It has the most "-ests" of any aircraft.

sr_71-wide.jpg

Here is an excerpt from Sled Driver, the amazing book by one of the SR-71 pilots, Major Brian Shul:

"One moonless night, while flying a routine training mission over the Pacific, I wondered what the sky would look like from 84,000 feet if the cockpit lighting were dark. While heading home on a straight course, I slowly turned down all of the lighting, reducing the glare and revealing the night sky. Within seconds, I turned the lights back up, fearful that the jet would know and somehow punish me. But my desire to see the sky overruled my caution, I dimmed the lighting again. To my amazement, I saw a bright light outside my window. As my eyes adjusted to the view, I realized that the brilliance was the broad expanse of the Milky Way, now a gleaming stripe across the sky. Where dark spaces in the sky had usually existed, there were now dense clusters of sparkling stars Shooting stars flashed across the canvas every few seconds. It was like a fireworks display with no sound. I knew I had to get my eyes back on the instruments, and reluctantly I brought my attention back inside. To my surprise, with the cockpit lighting still off, I could see every gauge, lit by starlight. In the plane's mirrors, I could see the eerie shine of my gold spacesuit incandescently illuminated in a celestial glow. I stole one last glance out the window. Despite our speed, we seemed still before the heavens, humbled in the radiance of a much greater power. For those few moments, I felt a part of something far more significant than anything we were doing in the plane."

My thanks to Major Brian Shul for the wonderful insights from an awesome and unique part of our nation's history, the brainchild of Kelly Johnson, a tribute to the truly gifted geniuses that took the SR-71 to reality; one that will never come again.

As an aside, Brian's service career is an almost incredible story in itself, one well worth reading.

Here's his website: Pilot & Author

Enjoy!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Excellent post ! Saw an A-12 at the Battleship Alabama museum in Mobile bay 4 years ago when we spent a Winter down that way in an RV park. Very impressive aircraft. Personally I'm an old C-130 mechanic.

Attachments

• Lockheed_A-12_Oxcart_06938_20010507-029.jpg
    Lockheed_A-12_Oxcart_06938_20010507-029.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 102

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Pratt&Whitney J-52 Engines,that aircraft photographed ever square inch of this planet!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While in airforce stationed on Okinawa there were several U-2s and SR 71s stationed on base. I not only got to watch them take off and land dozens of time but also got to develop and score the film they took..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes you wonder what the Air Force is flying now..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If my memory serves me right,it came out in 1959.

First test flight was in December 1964...

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
First test flight was in December 1964... American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

They started the whole program of it in 1959 is what I meant. How did you like Pratt&Whitney engines?

OP
OP
Bum Luck

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While in airforce stationed on Okinawa there were several U-2s and SR 71s stationed on base. I not only got to watch them take off and land dozens of time but also got to develop and score the film they took.. American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Too bad you couldn't have bummed a ride. I missed a chance to see one in the flesh, and I really regret not doing it. It came to Madison, Wisconsin Truax Field and the engineering Department of UW had the chance. All the Remote Sensing guys went, one of which (at least one) ended up working for the Co. NIce group to have chummed with, and one of my regrets.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad you couldn't have bummed a ride. I missed a chance to see one in the flesh, and I really regret not doing it. It came to Madison, Wisconsin Truax Field and the engineering Department of UW had the chance. All the Remote Sensing guys went, one of which (at least one) ended up working for the Co. NIce group to have chummed with, and one of my regrets.

At the time they did not look like they belonged in the sky they looked so futuristic, kinda like seeing the stealth fighters and bomber today.

When I was living in Missouri my home was on the flight path from Whiteman AFB. Durring the Balkan's war they were running missions out of Whiteman AFB and were constantly flying low over my house. There was hardly any sound as they went over, just a whisper of air..

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Doing my best to keep politics out of the discussion so I'll just say that reading THIS was a nice change. 4 years ago my wife & I spent the Winter on Mobile Bay in southern Alabama and we made the 1 hour trip to Pensacola several times to watch these guy practice. Every Weds, if I remember correctly you can go to the Naval aviation museum and watch them for free, tour the museum, meet the pilots, etc. :thumbsup: Budget cuts are smoke trails now: The Blue Angels are back - CNN.com

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cool thread Bum Luck!

OP
OP
Bum Luck

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. Well, you can't hardly keep something as cool as this to yourself.

The Divine is always at its best when it comes on us unexpectedly.

Glad you all liked it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread