worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Made this years ago when I worked at Pratt&Whitney as a Machine Repair Tech. I fixed the machines I dang sure ran them too,anyway this thing is VERY loud,it sets off car alarms,and flips 180. 3/8 bore. Sad I can't shoot it around here,ain't the same as living in them Smokey's now!

GOD Bless

Chris

Attachments

• K800_003.JPG
    K800_003.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 72
  • K800_004.JPG
    K800_004.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 80
  • K800_001.JPG
    K800_001.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 78
  • K800_002.JPG
    K800_002.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 74

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ours were beer cans made of metal, umm just a few years ago ,or so. Pic. is veggie cans. Fun times back then. Whooomp!

golden_king_banner.jpg

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ours were beer cans made of metal, umm just a few years ago ,or so. Pic. is veggie cans. Fun times back then. Whooomp!

View attachment 966898

We used 6 cans for ours ... we liked to make tin foil projectiles (instead of tin foil hats like some others do ...) and the 5 can barrel gave us excellent range.

We used cigarette lighter fluid because of the Naptha ... would scare the neighbors sometimes. Also, no electrical tape ... being true rednecks, nothing but duct tape would do ... although, to show how safe they were I did make one with paper masking tape. Worked fine.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I made one out of 3" PVC, about 3' long. It used co2 to fire a Styrofoam cup full of paintballs. It wasn't as loud as yours, but what a blast. Frank...
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Some didn't. If you messed up, you paid. It's not like that anymore.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you know those little bags of non dairy creamers makes a great excelerant.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha, dad used to get mad when we would burn through all the couple cans of lighter fluid he would give us for a weekend ,then get in his paint thinner and anything we could get to vaporize twirling them cannons.Kinda like the previous b.b.s for the b.b. gun addiction. Five cans were the preferred.Seems it was top of second can from bottom opened with pie shaped wedges opened at center points toward top to hold the projectile. Touch hole about a quarter inch above bottom,one beer brand had a round target to punch hole through. Duct tape arrived toward end of popularity. Prior to that when hot cannon and twirling to vaporize fluid tape often failed.

World talker, you got me looking up tater guns. Seen one in use with larger diameter pipe shooting a toilet tank ball and a rubber ball before.
Some fun looking projects on the internet. Even pneumatic type looking interesting.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going to make a 6" PVC carbide cannon for the 4th a few years ago and use acetylene gas. I was telling my grandson about it. He was about 7 years old.
After explaining it to him he quietly said "Don't do it Grandpa, the police will put you in jail and make you eat dirty bread."
I decided he was probably right.
I've still have a gallon of carbide left from my caving days.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ha, dad used to get mad when we would burn through all the couple cans of lighter fluid he would give us for a weekend ,then get in his paint thinner and anything we could get to vaporize twirling them cannons.Kinda like the previous b.b.s for the b.b. gun addiction. Five cans were the preferred.Seems it was top of second can from bottom opened with pie shaped wedges opened at center points toward top to hold the projectile. Touch hole about a quarter inch above bottom,one beer brand had a round target to punch hole through. Duct tape arrived toward end of popularity. Prior to that when hot cannon and twirling to vaporize fluid tape often failed.

World talker, you got me looking up tater guns. Seen one in use with larger diameter pipe shooting a toilet tank ball and a rubber ball before.
Some fun looking projects on the internet. Even pneumatic type looking interesting.

We used a single Dixie45 beer can for the combustion chamber. My brother reminded me that it wasn't duct tape, we used Masking Tape ( the paper stuff ).

Yep, 4 holes in the top, a 10 penny nail hole dead center for the loading and firing hole. Couple drops of lighter fluid, shake a couple times and fire that sucker up!

Maybe some Campbell's or Swanson's broth cans would do the trick. Modern beer cans would never stand up.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else use a push button igniter from a gas barbeque grill to lite it up?

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't need to make anything for noise, I got a wife for that... :icon_thumleft:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last summer I made a tater cannon but I used tennis balls. Had a blast with the grandkids. I'd put about 100 psi of air in, drop in the ball and "quickly" open the valve and bam, boom the ball would go about 200 ft. into the air. I had it mounded on a 2' x 2' piece of plywood. The kids would be in the pool and I'd set it up to drop the balls into the pool on there way down when shot from yard. They had a blast trying to catch them and I had fun shooting it. I nailed the wife's hand while she was sitting at the bar table around pool when "dialing" in one time. She had a cold drink in it and was half-way getting it to her mouth. That ended the days shooting.... SHE WAS PISSED.

I'll try and get a pic later of it and post it.... its pretty simple to build and cheap.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This should probably go into Reds "Stupid People" thread but here goes..... Sometime in late the 70's while at Fisher Body working a buddy and I had this "brilliant" idea during lunch. "We" took a small empty milk carton and while holding upside down filled it full of acetylene. We then put a toilet paper "fuse" into opening and closed. The fuse was about 5 ft. long. We then took the bomb back into the die storage area and lit it up and quickly walked back to table. Nothing happened....? We waited about 5-6 minutes and still nothing. Lunch was about over so I went back into die area to "check it out". I kicked the small carton over and it INSTANTLY BLEW UP! And I mean it BLEW!!! My ears popped and I couldn't hear anything. I came out of die area and there's about 20 people all looking at me. When they found out what had happened I was the butt of all jokes for a long time. It took over a week for my hearing to come back to "normal" again.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Heres a good one.Fill one trash bag with helium,another with acetylene.Use cannon fuse for the one filled with acetylene.I think you know what I'm getting at.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread