***PROBLEM, Country or?People???

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's my view! I have been around for 76 years and I have seen a big change in the people. It use to be that kids sought instant and prolonged gratification, but they grew out of it to be a real part of the big picture of advancing this country. They earned their way to a good life.

Now a days, the picture has shifted. For to many the instant gratification desire has not changed. This is happening on the low end free lunch crowd which seeks free food, lodging, cell smart phones, etc. The bad part is it is happening at the top end also. We have more Millionaires and Billionaires than ever before and they want more. It is a game of who dies with the most wins.
The sad part is they are hoarding the wealth of the country. Sure they give to charity or foundation, but this is to get even more money via deductions. They don't give back in reality! Just think, where did they get this money, why wasn't more given to the actual workers that made this wealth possible?

The thing is in economics, the money must cycle or the wheel stops turning. The move to manufacturing overseas was the beginning of our decent. Sure items would be cheaper, but the profit was all going upstaires. Look at the CEO's and COO's etc. they are sucking up millions while the workers are getting less.

I can see this happening! I posted a while back that in a business class it was stated that a fair profit was cost + 100% markup. Someone replied that it was as much as you could get. See my point? It brings to mind the story of the goose that layed the golden egg.

Just my thoughts, Frank... 111-1 profileblk.jpg

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes 76 since you may have been around could you tell us when they invented dirt? ;-0

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Holy smokes 76 since you may have been around could you tell us when they invented dirt? ;-0
Im not crazy......my mother had me tested

She should have told you that you failed, maybe!
Frank... hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gosh I'm hungry. I think I'll have a cheeseburger. No, wait, a Bacon Cheeseburger! :hello:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to be a little crazy to live in this world we have today im not as old as most of the old farts on here but ive seen changes in my own time ...i used to work on my short box 72 chevy pickup every night and weekend it seemed and had it up to about 425 horse and the parts just kept getting more and more expensive....then the gas was next to go id laugh at everyone that told me it would be 2 bucks before the end of the summer..now im paying 12 bucks for a 30 cent bearing everything costs 20 times as much as it should but if i want to wait a month i can have it shipped from china cheaper then i can mail a letter in the us ...thats where our county went ...over seas

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Have to be a little crazy to live in this world we have today im not as old as most of the old farts on here but ive seen changes in my own time ...i used to work on my short box 72 chevy pickup every night and weekend it seemed and had it up to about 425 horse and the parts just kept getting more and more expensive....then the gas was next to go id laugh at everyone that told me it would be 2 bucks before the end of the summer..now im paying 12 bucks for a 30 cent bearing everything costs 20 times as much as it should but if i want to wait a month i can have it shipped from china cheaper then i can mail a letter in the us ...thats where our county went ...over seas[/]

Well if you were as old as dirt, it would be worse! When I was building up my '35 Ford roadster in the '50s gas was around .25 a gallon. What gets me today is we are paying over $3 a GALLON when the cost to produce a BARREL of oil is $5 and this rather large markup is mostly going into some billionair's pocket. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dusty I may not be as old as Frank unless you consider reversing his number But even today I will stop a lot of people much older then i and ask them Questions some have a lot of secrets that will be lost to posterity simply because many younger ones won't take the time to talk to them. I ,like you can take most any car or truck apart and resemble with the proper tools> just try asking a majority of high school kids what a 1/2 in wrench or 10 mil socket is. and most look at you with that weird look on their face. DA! Trouble is you should have been around when a 69 SS, 454 was 2900 bucks. :laughing7:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Human nature. Same was said of John J Astor, John D Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, J P Morgan, Charles Goodyear, Henry Ford, etc...

Nickola Tesla was different but look where that got him. J P Morgan once backed Tesla, but when he found out Tesla planned to give free power to the masses, Morgan withdrew his funds asking, "If anyone can draw power from the air, where do we put the meter?"

...There is nothing new under the sun.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Human nature. Same was said of John J Astor, John D Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, J P Morgan, Charles Goodyear, Henry Ford, etc...

Nickola Tesla was different but look where that got him. J P Morgan once backed Tesla, but when he found out Tesla planned to give free power to the masses, Morgan withdrew his funds asking, "If anyone can draw power from the air, where do we put the meter?"

...There is nothing new under the sun.

I would have to say that some of these men were different. They built up the country by creating jobs. Look at Ford for example. His assembly line had the effect of creating many jobs, more affordable cars and a lot of money for him. That is how it is suppose to work. The money circulates, not bottled up in offshore bank accounts.
Frank... z taft face.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
penudaqa.jpg

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
It's people! People will believe media and TV shows without checking facts. People over spent then blamed everyone else! People vote towards getting something cheaper or free without looking at the whole picture! I don't believe there is a simple fix. I'm 37 and feel I'm in the minority of my age group for the way I live. I owe no one, I don't have credit cards. I live on cash! If i don't have the money I don't buy it! I've been dead broke and never filed for any kind of help! Not that its a bad thing to get help. That was just my choice. It's not a simple fix, and a lot more to it, I know! Somewhere people got this idea of entitlement! I'm not a good writer, but those are just a few things that come to my mixed up mind!! lol

Hay Nitric, After reading your post, I think maybe there is some hope. I hope there are others out there like you.
If we can only spread that attitude around more, maybe the will of the people will prevail! The thing is, you have to let others know and encourage them to vote! Frank...
Vote   700.jpg You have to remember our leader was swept in with only 27% of the eligible voters voting for him.
That means most didn't bother to vote.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
penudaqa.jpg

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Your chart shows where the money for one gallon goes. What I was referring to was the actual cost of producing a barrel of oil compared to the retail cost. I realize the retail cost is not all profit, but the profit ratio is way off.
Out of that barrel of oil comes kerosene, diesel, lubrication oil, and then gas. So there are many profits from it.
I also realize that diesel is one of the cheapest fuels to make and because so much is consumed by the trucking industry, it is priced above gas. The ratios of profit to cost are all off in the oil industry. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Frankn why is diesel more just because they can just like how they raised the price all bs and use the same old reasons s/d summer time up winter have to make fuel oil storm have fix the refinery. Like one said power free no no they have had things that would run on a lot less design all bought up, tires that don't wear out should had solar year ago. There are a lot of people that abuse the system but their are some that also need the help just watch what is going to happen you think things are high now and this country doesn't make or own anything here any more look back in the sixties they were going to put a grain embargo on them we found out we did't even the grain elevators. This has been going on a long time. Now the minimum wage is going up 10.10 in Conn. in 2016 will be 10.00 in R.I. So watch the price of everything. For being in the hole the price of gas in my opinion help ruin the housing market along with jobs because people couldn't afford to drive to work the price of food have gone up the price of power went up not enough dollars to pay for I also agree some shouldn't have been able to buy to be put into that position in the first place but greed played a part where everything started going down hill at this rate we are on a journey back in time. just my half a cent or maybe less.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your chart shows where the money for one gallon goes. What I was referring to was the actual cost of producing a barrel of oil compared to the retail cost. I realize the retail cost is not all profit, but the profit ratio is way off.
Out of that barrel of oil comes kerosene, diesel, lubrication oil, and then gas. So there are many profits from it.
I also realize that diesel is one of the cheapest fuels to make and because so much is consumed by the trucking industry, it is priced above gas. The ratios of profit to cost are all off in the oil industry. Frank...

View attachment 968478

I agree Frankn but that additional profit isn't just going to the oil companies. Oil futures accounts for a lot of it, the futures market in natural resources is bad in my opinion and it drives up the cost of oil and gas. It also costs a lot to explore for new oil fields..

Here is why deisel is higher.

GASOLINE

Diesel fuel had traditionally been less expensive than gasoline, since it was easier to refine from crude oil. However, beginning in 2004, retail diesel fuel prices have consistently been higher than retail gasoline prices. There are several reasons why.

Seasonality is one factor that had always affected diesel fuel prices. Diesel fuel, also known as number 2 distillate, is essentially the same as home heating oil (the major difference is that diesel fuel contains less sulfur). In colder winters when home heating oil is in more demand, diesel prices typically climbed faster than those for gasoline.

Also, beginning in September, gas demand declines, but diesel fuel demand increases as more diesel fuel is required for the machinery to harvest and transport crops.

(There are some differences between the more common distillate fuels. Off-road diesel, intended for farm machinery and other non-transportation purposes, is dyed red to distinguish it from on-road diesel, which has both state and federal transportation taxes. Home heating oil is very similar to both diesel fuels but contains more particulates, which would damage a sensitive diesel engine if used in a vehicle.)

While seasonality has long played a role in demand, the more recent change in market dynamics, where diesel fuel is consistently more than gasoline, is a function of several broad factors.

Strong Diesel Fuel Demand in Other Countries
The United States is a gasoline-dominant motor fuels market. Approximately 98% of passenger vehicles in the United States are powered by gasoline, with fewer than 2% powered by diesel fuel. Consequently, the refining infrastructure is designed for optimum efficiency in producing gasoline. From a typical 42-gallon barrel of oil, the refining process delivers around 18 to 21 gallons of gasoline and 10 to 12 gallons of distillate, plus some other refined products. Refinery yields can somewhat be tweaked, but to produce significantly more distillate, they would need to undergo significant upgrades costing billions of dollars.

While the U.S. remains predominantly reliant on gasoline, other countries throughout the world are more heavily reliant on diesel fuel. Diesel fuel is used in the majority of new passenger vehicles in Europe. Strong international demand for diesel fuel €" for both passenger vehicles and for industrial machinery in the rapidly growing developing countries like China and India €" has placed a premium on diesel fuel imports.

U.S. Diesel Demand Increasing While Gasoline Demand Decreases
While U.S. gasoline demand has decreased since peaking in 2007, demand for diesel fuel has remained strong. Diesel fuel powers most of the country's buses, trucks, trains and farm equipment. It also powers an increasing number of passenger vehicles. U.S. clean diesel vehicle sales increased 25.6% in 2012, almost double the overall auto market's increase.

More diesel-powered vehicles mean more demand for diesel fuel. Comparing October 2010 demand to that of October 2012, demand for gasoline has decreased 3.4% while demand for on-road diesel fuel has increased 11.8%.

Introduction of Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD)
ULSD is a clean-burning diesel fuel that is defined by the Environmental Protection Agency to have a maximum sulfur content of 15 parts per million (ppm). It was gradually phased into the market between 2006 and 2010, replacing the on-highway diesel fuel, known as Low Sulfur Diesel (LSD), which can have as much as 500 ppm sulfur content. In 2010, on-highway diesel fuel was 100 percent ULSD. ULSD is required for use in model year 2007 and later vehicles, which are equipped with advanced emissions control systems.

There are enormous environmental benefits to ULSD, but there are also logistical challenges. Special care was required when transporting both types of diesel fuel during the transition. This included pipelines, bulk terminals and tankers. A batch of ULSD that has even slight contamination with LSD could lead to significant fines if the batch of ULSD exceeded a certain level. In addition, to produce ULSD the refining industry had to invest approximately $8 billion in infrastructure upgrades and the daily production costs for ULSD are higher than LSD, since the fuel requires more refining. This influences the cost of all diesel and results in a premium for ULSD, which is estimated to add about 10 cents per gallon to the cost of diesel fuel.

Taxes
The final factor in why diesel fuel prices are higher is taxes. The federal tax on diesel fuel is 6 cents more than gasoline per gallon (24.4 cents vs. 18.4 cents). The last increase in the federal tax was in the early 1990s, back when diesel fuel was usually less expensive than gasoline. Taxes do not factor into why diesel fuel prices are higher than gasoline today €" strong demand and USLD are the causes €" but taxes are a factor in overall prices.

http://www.nacsonline.com/YourBusin...ages/Why-Diesel-Costs-More-Than-Gasoline.aspx

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay, TH I have to agree with what you said, But in talking to an engineer at a refinery I discovered a fact that causes me to wonder. He said that the raw oil is run thru a chemical conversion process call the cracker . The first time thru produces kerosene and diesel. The diesel is then run thru a second time to produce regular gas. Additives are then added to boost octain to high test levels. If this is true, diesel should be cheaper. Just going by what I heard. Oh, the farm tractor diesel I have seen is green. Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

Capt Nat

Nov 11, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't blame the rich. If we are willing to pay them too much for their products they are right to take our money. If gasoline is too high, the answer is to quit buying it. The rich aren't getting rich on food, they're getting rich on things that we don't need and keep buying anyway. Our demand for having everything is what our enemy is...

I'm going to dig up some change...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is kind of the way I look at it. And this isn't even a good way to explain it. lol A bully in the neighborhood will have no power unless we voluntarily give it to him! One thing I notice is that people aren't willing to fight for what they believe! I keep hearing from friends "well there is nothing we can do about it, so why worry?" To me that's insane!!! I don't think it should be the wild west again, but if a politician does something we don't agree with, why isn't there groups of people ripping him out of his office and kicking his butt out of town? Just my opinion but signs don't change things. This is still the greatest country!!

Unfortunately you get arrested for doing that, it takes years to get them out of office once elected...

The road we are going down is not a good road and it leads to disaster if it continues, especially for our grand children....

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I agree! I was trying to make the point that people need to start pulling together! I'm just so sick of my rights and freedoms being stripped! And people just go along with it without even knowing whats happening!

You are right. Remember what 'one of the Senators' said, "You have to vote for it to find out what is in it." There's no way a law should have thousands of pages. So the sheep followed the goat and here we are stuck with something few if any truly want. There's only one way to correct that mistake and that is on election day.
There are only two ways out of this. Pick up your gun or cast your vote! personally, I would rather vote as I always do. Frank...
Vote   700.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I wouldn't blame the rich. If we are willing to pay them too much for their products they are right to take our money. If gasoline is too high, the answer is to quit buying it. The rich aren't getting rich on food, they're getting rich on things that we don't need and keep buying anyway. Our demand for having everything is what our enemy is...

I'm going to dig up some change...

My intention was not to blame the rich per say, only the greedy rich. Hay some of those worked there ass off for the money while others connived ,cheated and burned bridge after bridge to get there money. I saw it in college. The ones that cheated in so many ways to get ahead. Exams were sold, term papers were ghost written, and the boys with the big money came in first.

Have you been to the food store lately? Some one is racking it in. You have to eat. I think most have cut back already. No matter what the price of gas, you have to buy it in most cases to get to work, to the food store, no choice option there.
There is also the problem of the free lunch crowd. Did you see that surfer in Cal that collects welfair, food stamps and lodging from the gov. He was picking up deluxe cuts of beef at the food store as they interviewed him. He said he just wanted to surf, not work. Put that on the tax bill! Hay, I use to belong to the middle class when I was working, but that class is a vanishing breed.
Vote   700.jpg Frank...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope I can be a greedy rich guy someday! :occasion14: Guess I'll just have to keep buying that weekly lottery ticket till I do..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread