Interesting thoughts on why were are who we are

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Been alot of bickering on here lately with opposing sides of many issues butting heads like those 2 old rams on the old TV commercial. So I thought I'd start a thread for people to comment on what makes them tick. What you're made of so to speak and why. I'll go first with a little history lesson. Treasure hunting and history go hand in hand so I sincerely hope this thread is within the rules. Please keep it civil and non political and everyone is welcome to participate regardless of which side of the recent arguments you're on. I've always been very proud of my heritage and the stories about my "people" that have been handed down from generation to generation. My great grandmother owned a candy store at Hampton Beach NH and she made sure everyone knew where she came from to the point that her old chunk of property is known to this day as "Patriots Corner". She died at 92 years of age in the 1960s. The stories she told me when I was a child were amazing. Her father was a soldier in the Civil War. Recently I've been researching my family history in the course of doing my application to the Sons of the American Revolution. The mens version of the DAR for those who never heard of it. A VERY old organization for people who are direct descendants of Revolutionary War soldiers. I have come across some extremely interesting stuff about one of my ancestors and it makes me proud to know we share the same DNA. I've always known the story but until recently I had never seen the "proof". Most of you have seen RedJamesCash's avatar with the guy holding the rifle. What some may not know is that it's the statue of the Minuteman in Massachusetts near where the battle of Lexington & Concord took place. The mans name is Captain Isaac Davis and he was shot and killed at that battle. He was the very first officer killed in the line of duty while serving our newly formed country. There's a famous poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson concerning "the shot heard round the world" that makes reference to this day as well. My direct descendant Sergeant Seth Brooks, great grandfather 8 generations back, carried Isaac Davis off the battlefield and into a nearby house and was present when he took his last breath. Seth Brooks was then put in command of that company of the Acton Militia. At the end of this long winded story I will post a copy of his hand written account of the events of that day along with a typed translation since it's a bit hard to read the original. This is not a story from a dusty old history book or some made for TV program about things that don't matter anymore. This is about MY grandfather. When you're sitting in your comfy chair watching the Blue Angels do a flyover before the game you're watching or you're heading out to do whatever it is that makes you happy and you don't have to worry about someone telling you you can't do that remember it's because of those guys who made a stand 240 years ago on that bridge and everyone who's ever made a stand since that day. So before you wonder why I'm so passionate about my rights as a US citizen or write me off as a loud mouth troublemaker, or why I fight so hard when I see free speech being stepped on, or other rights that are forbidden to be discussed here anymore, take a minute to understand who I am and why. These men like my ancestor weren't even known by name until many years after the war because to have been known would have put their lives at risk. They would have been considered to be traitors and troublemakers by the current British government and hung. So if you want to call me a troublemaker I'll wear that badge with pride until the day I die. OK who's next ? Who are YOU and what made you the way you are ?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2014-04-05 06:40:16.png
    Screenshot from 2014-04-05 06:40:16.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot from 2014-04-05 06:40:43.png
    Screenshot from 2014-04-05 06:40:43.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot from 2014-04-05 07:06:32.png
    Screenshot from 2014-04-05 07:06:32.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Me,I'm just a stubborn S.O.B. old school yankee from way back when from when this country wasnt even considered a country.My families past is basically the same as NHBandits,except we were here in 1620 on my moms side.I get my stubbornness from my dad,he was Cherokee.Though my whole family is a bunch of stubborn S.O.B.s in reality.My dad was WW2 marine Philippines 1941.My moms dad was also a marine WW1.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
My family doesn't go back that far. My Great Grandmother came over on the boat to escape the Kaisers aggression. To her dying days she had visions of German troops coming thru the walls after her. She was Bohemian. I am a realist. I see things as they are, but also as they should be. I don't give a rats ass what some people think of me. I am what I am not what some morally degenerate wants me to be. Hope I didn't mess up your thread. My last few have seemed to vaporized. Frank...
6 06-1 Yellowstone 054-1.jpg

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
PRIDE,wasn't that the downfall of man?I take pride in nothing.

GOD Bless

Chris

Last edited:
OP
OP
NHBandit

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
My family doesn't go back that far. My Great Grandmother came over on the boat to escape the Kaisers aggression. To her dying days she had visions of German troops coming thru the walls after her. She was Bohemian. I am a realist. I see things as they are, but also as they should be. I don't give a rats ass what some people think of me. I am what I am not what some morally degenerate wants me to be. Hope I didn't mess up your thread. My last few have seemed to vaporized. Frank...
View attachment 973002
It's not you Frank. It's "them". I just thought it might be interesting to hear why people act the way they do, have the beliefs they have, etc. Nothing wrong with that I wouldn't think. If we keep politics out and personal insults out and it still disappears this place really is hopeless...

Attachments

• Aliens.jpg
    Aliens.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 93

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll give this a try! And I say that because I have a hard time putting thought to words!

I'm 37...I'm very hard working and have worked my butt off since high school. Until lately, because I learned there is more to life than the constant struggle to keep up with the Jones! I own everything I have, and owe no one! I've had it all and lost it all a few times over the years and was always just as happy! I believe I should be responsible for myself by myself and my choices will reflect my future. And I don't believe anyone has the right to tell me or make me do any different!(within reason) I've owned a couple of my own business's that were both short term. I have friends that range from doc. to ex cons. Also have friends of all education levels. I do not look down or up to anyone. I do respect others opinions and views even though I may not agree, we could still argue peacefully! I value the constitution! And feel that if I didn't agree there are other places to live that would better suite me! I'm also the type of person that have been in arguments and have learned something new from the other person, and after research, changed my view. I have all kinds of interests, from mechanical to rocks and dirt. I'm beginning to have interests in sociology and psychology lately. I can rebuild anything from a car to the most complicated watches.I question and analyze everything! I can ramble on forever so you get the idea.

Non of this is directed to anyone or area. This is me!

I say if you don't agree no reason to get UPSET,quess a few UPSET folks around.

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My history goes back to the Revolution also. My great several times over grandpa was General Blaine. He was Adj. Gen. under Geo. Washington. 2nd in command of the Revolutionary army. At 65 I don't profess to know everything, but if I don't know it, it's not worth knowin. I allow others to express their opinions.............that way I can correct them. :laughing7:

amgrunt69

Feb 17, 2013
upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a werewolf!! Run !!! Save yourselves !!! There, I've said it.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still believe that in the big scheme of things that I somehow ended up on the wrong damn planet.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bandit,a most excellent post,I'm proud to call you a friend.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm an American troublemaker.. :occasion14:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Two men: My dad who was a minister and my maternal Grandfather who was a bounty hunter in Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas. A Native American hunting bounty in the "Indian Territories" as Oklahoma was still called by the average Joe on the street at that time.

You would be surprised how much alike those two men's beliefs were.

On my maternal Grandmother's side, an elected Vice President of the U.S. who died before he could serve, and my father's Grandfather is buried on the grounds of the home of the President of the Confederacy, Jefferson Davis - Beauvoir.

From stories about these I learned right from wrong, I learned to respect the law AND myself. I learned a bit about how important honor is --- and to give honor ONLY where due.

Sadly today, honor is too often thrown around and given to people who have not earned it. Shameful!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions