****SATISFACTION****

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Does it come from within or do you need to acquire it from others?
When I do something well, usually having expertise in that field, I know I have done it well. This is really the only saticfaction I need.
Some do not have this form of satisfaction built in mentaly. They need to get it from others.
I would venture a guess that most of the finds posted here are from the second group. Hay there's nothing wrong with that. The first group enjoys seeing the finds.

I myself post pictures of some of my finds, but the reason is different. I post them to give examples of preserving finds, or examples of what can be found under certain conditions.
I try to help others that say they can't find anything but junk or they don't know how to preserve an item. I have even posted maps with directions to cache locations to help others.
Hay this also gives me some additional satisfaction. Just a thought, Frank...
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Competition is not my thing. I realize I am as good as I am and there will always be some that are better or worse than I. That's where my satisfaction sets in. I am more or less at peace with the world.
Check out that old movie Johnathon Livingston Seagull. Frank...
NOONTIME GLIDE 4X6 CARD.jpg

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Agree! There are people better or worse! Maybe I meant drive? I reread and maybe didn't say it the right way. I meant competition within myself! To see if I can out do myself next time around! For me that's satisfaction! To know, that I improved on something that I've tried before! H@@l, I don't know what I'm trying to say! lol

Maybe you're looking to become better, to grow. I know I'm always looking to improve on things ...

Z

Attachments

• 980x200_01.jpg
    980x200_01.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 73

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the first example is satisfaction, and the other example is confirmation. If I am satisfied with something I generally don't even look for confirmation from others. If I share something with others it usually for the mutual enjoyment with them, as I usually enjoy the things folks share with me and I am happy for them...(not including folks who are just plain and simple horses' back ends).

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frank,

Well said....like you I get more of a kick encouraging the newer members than finding stuff....also when I post finds it's more to show what's out there.

The only competition I figure I have is myself....yes there's people who get better results and some less than me....but that's ok just as long as everyone is having fun.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Here's something I realized way back.
I use to shoot for perfect in what I did. Then one day it came to me, there is no perfect! Things are constantly being improved. So now I just shoot for good enough to do the job. Hay, It's much easier that way and you achieve your goal. Frank...
down down.jpg

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This may be an odd illustration of the point, but this thread made me think of an obscure low budget movie I remember from the Eighties that I really liked. It was a big flop, but I always remembered the story. it was Eddie and the Cruisers. Eddie was popular but was so obsessed with not being able to get the perfect sound that he gave up music and committed suicide..."not of the body, but of the mind and soul". He gave up his creative pursuits and ended up in obscurity.

I paint, and draw, and play traditional Scots and Irish fiddle but I am usually far from perfect at these things, when I get discouraged I always think of the guy in that movie and keep trying anyway!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Theres is no perfect but,theres always better.If you dont strive for the better,to me thats a form of giving up.Never give up.

I agree, there is always better, but there is also good enough.
Example: Getting a vehicle to get you to work. You go for good enough. Better could cost you a bundle like fancy aluminum wheels and xxx rated tires and a convertible top. Actually there is practally no end to the amount you could spend for a vehicle to get you from point A to point B. This is why I design something to do a job. You get the satisfaction of obtaining your goal without the excess cost of better for no reason.
That was my point. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, there is always better, but there is also good enough.
Example: Getting a vehicle to get you to work. You go for good enough. Better could cost you a bundle like fancy aluminum wheels and xxx rated tires and a convertible top. Actually there is practally no end to the amount you could spend for a vehicle to get you from point A to point B. This is why I design something to do a job. You get the satisfaction of obtaining your goal without the excess cost of better for no reason.
That was my point. Frank...

Me thinks you miss understood me buddy.My daily driver is just that,no need for fancy.My 1970 Duster was nothing fancy either, looked like a daily driver, until you opened the engine hood lol.I was basically talking about skills,whether with the mind or the hands,though the two run hand and hand.It doesnt take a genius to turn a screw driver,a lot of people cant,dont know how.Thats pretty sad.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
From my take what frank said above, reminds me of why things are the way they are, there is no contention/satisfaction, most people now will make their selves house poor just so they can outdo their neighbor, I see it all the time in the more affluent neighborhoods.
X neighbor gets brand new caddilac SUV, in turn after a week goes by every other neighbor either from jealousness or competition is now sporting a new SUV or something better than the original one.

Not sure if any of that makes any sense whatsoever since I just awoke from a nap after having my first in my life ( mild yet painful ) heart attack, at least I think that was what it was, anyway.

Mike

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
From my take what frank said above, reminds me of why things are the way they are, there is no contention/satisfaction, most people now will make their selves house poor just so they can outdo their neighbor, I see it all the time in the more affluent neighborhoods.
X neighbor gets brand new caddilac SUV, in turn after a week goes by every other neighbor either from jealousness or competition is now sporting a new SUV or something better than the original one.

Not sure if any of that makes any sense whatsoever since I just awoke from a nap after having my first in my life ( mild yet painful ) heart attack, at least I think that was what it was, anyway.

Mike

Probably just gas. When you get as old as me you can tell the difference. If it feels like someone is tightning a C clamp on your chest, that is an attack. If it feels like you are bloated with pain, that is gass.

I think you described another phase of satisfaction. One group is satisfied with appearance, like having a brand name, while the other side is strictly utility driven. That is they value function over appearances. I fall in the last group. Frank...
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Me thinks you miss understood me buddy.My daily driver is just that,no need for fancy.My 1970 Duster was nothing fancy either, looked like a daily driver, until you opened the engine hood lol.I was basically talking about skills,whether with the mind or the hands,though the two run hand and hand.It doesnt take a genius to turn a screw driver,a lot of people cant,dont know how.Thats pretty sad.

My point was that perfect does not exist. It is a constantly moving target that is constantly evolving.
Yes you are right in that you can make it better, that is better than average. I am a function guy. When I build something, I have a specif purpose in mind. I do not add cost to the project to make it preform beyond that purpose. Yes, I might add details later as with my old truck. It's am old '98 with 125K miles. I take care of it and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. I think it will rust before it blows. Frank...
Tailgate Zebra.jpg

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Frank!! Yea old Johnathan had true satisfaction, right before he flew into that cliff!! BUMMER!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hey Frank!! Yea old Johnathan had true satisfaction, right before he flew into that cliff!! BUMMER!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

The end is seldom pleasant. You live your life, achieve your goals and then check out. Achieving your goals is where the satisfaction comes in. Look at Johnson, the mountain man. He led a rough life but got a lot of satisfaction out of it. He loved the freedom and beauty of the mountains. In the end, he went blind and died in a city. Frank...
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread