Found some SS Gold this weekend

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought me a new project. 66 Impala SS. Got a lot of work to do and have to completely replace the interior but it's a solid car and will be a beaut when I'm done. Here's the "Before". From the same guy I got a little mini baja for my boy to get running before summer. Gonna be a fun summer for everyone!

Impala.jpg

bike.jpg

Last edited:

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ride.. First saw your header and thought you had found a cache of Nazi gold... :icon_scratch:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flags on the front fender say it's running a 327? Are the directional bezels have a chrome ring around the outside?

OP
OP
GreenHat

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ride.. First saw your header and thought you had found a cache of Nazi gold... :icon_scratch:
LOL.. won't say that wasn't intentional.
The flags on the front fender say it's running a 327? Are the directional bezels have a chrome ring around the outside?
The 66 Impala SS came with 4 V8 (you could get 6cyl SS as well) engine options 283, 327,396, and 427. The flags on the car come with the V8. Just the flags indicate a 283 and then any of the larger engines will have flags and "327" "396" or "427" with the flags. So it is just a 283. Not sure of what you are talking about in regards to the directional bezels.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL.. won't say that wasn't intentional.

The 66 Impala SS came with 4 V8 (you could get 6cyl SS as well) engine options 283, 327,396, and 427. The flags on the car come with the V8. Just the flags indicate a 283 and then any of the larger engines will have flags and "327" "396" or "427" with the flags. So it is just a 283. Not sure of what you are talking about in regards to the directional bezels.

True SS came with chrome bezels around signal lights. 283 was built to go to church by grandma's Any way looks like a great car. Don't let ther kids blow you off with those poo ppoo mufflers:laughing7: If you can't lite up the rears it's a church goer. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
GreenHat

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True SS came with chrome bezels around signal lights. 283 was built to go to church by grandma's Any way looks like a great car. Don't let ther kids blow you off with those poo ppoo mufflers:laughing7: If you can't lite up the rears it's a church goer. Just my opinion.

I agree with all the above. Can't beat the styling though. They are great classic cars and even a 283 SS is a high demand vehicle and I bought it strictly to rehab and sell. If I told you what I paid.. you'd pee yourself. A few thousand bucks into the rehab and I'll have a BA car to sell and will clear 10K easy. If it was a 396 or 427 daddy would be keeping it and riding to my MD sites in style. A little know fact is the 327, 396, and 427 came with a small "cow catcher" to clear the road of naked women throwing themselves at you.. the 283 only has a stick to occassionaly beat them back at stoplights.

OP
OP
GreenHat

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Also there are a lot of incorrect assumptions regarding what does or does not validate a Imapala SS, especially regarding features. I was guilty of many false assumptions before I did real research when I was preparing to buy this car. I would have argued that there was NO 283 much less V6 motors offered in authentic Impala SS's. Wrong.. Regardless of options there is only ONE way to validate a 66' Impala SS and that is VIN # if it begins with 168XXXX or 167XXXX it is a real SS the 167's were V6's. Also a telltale sign is split bucket seats and no hood ornamernt. If it does not have bucket seats or has a hood ornament it is not an SS. BUT.. people have rigged bucket seats into non SS's and removed hood ornaments to pass a car off as SS so the only real way is to go by VIN#. I have seen people put SS VIN plates on non SS (had bench seats and hood ornament) on CL and try to say it's an SS so you have to know what to look for. Many options that are offered on SS's were offered on the non's and people get confused and project those options as SS validation when in fact they are not. Whatever "bezels" you refer too regardless... the car I have is a bona fide SS.

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'66 anything with a BIG Block in it rules! {That was the year I was born} Top two on the list would be a "66 Satellite HP2" and a '"66 Satellite HEMI"
A '66 Biscayne with a 283 was my very first car.

OP
OP
GreenHat

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
'66 anything with a BIG Block in it rules! {That was the year I was born} Top two on the list would be a "66 Satellite HP2" and a '"66 Satellite HEMI"
A '66 Biscayne with a 283 was my very first car.

Being a Mopar guy I'm surprised the GTX isn't in there. Before I bought the Impala I was trying to buy a 72 Satellite with a 383 stroker in it, but the guy kept jerking me around when I would go to meet him he would always reschedule. I still may buy it.. we'll see. I do love those GTXs though. If I find me a 67 Chevelle with a 427 in it... I'll die with it in my garage.. or more likely in it wrapped around a tree! HA

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
'69 Roadrunner & 69 GTX. Had both, loved them both ... although the Roadrunner was my fav. 383 magnum could drop from 4th to 3rd at 90 and light the tires up like a chevy coming out the hole.

Was messing with a 350 Nova a workmate had just bought. We were on Hammond Highway in La Place. Didn't realize that the 4th car in line was a cop. About the time we hit 90, he hit his lights.

As I said, I was messing with him ... took him forever to get to 90. When the lights came on, I dropped it from 4th to 3rd and punched it. The cop turned off his lights. He knew who it was and knew they wouldn't catch me.

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a Mopar guy I'm surprised the GTX isn't in there. Before I bought the Impala I was trying to buy a 72 Satellite with a 383 stroker in it, but the guy kept jerking me around when I would go to meet him he would always reschedule. I still may buy it.. we'll see. I do love those GTXs though. If I find me a 67 Chevelle with a 427 in it... I'll die with it in my garage.. or more likely in it wrapped around a tree! HA

The Satellite G-Tex wouldn't come out 'til '67.If your 1966 Satellite was made before January 1st, 1966 and was ordered with a 426 Hemi in it then the front fender badge would say "HP2" for Hemi Powered. After January 1st the front fender badge would say "HEMI" Naturally being born in 1966 I want them both!
Being a Dodge man I have to razz the Chevy guys and say that SS stands for Super-Slow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread