Smoking & New Healthcare Standards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently, this "isn't" a political post, so I'll see if I can muster an answer to my curiosity here, so here goes.

Under the new Healthcare guidelines, "pre-existing conditions" are no longer suppose to be factored into your monthly healthcare premiums. However, I am curious to the following....smoking is an addiction, just as one can be addicted to meth, cocaine, heroine, and even alcohol, yet these addictions, or pre-existing conditions are not allowed to be factored into your healthcare premiums, and they do not cause an automatic 20-25% premium increase as does smoking. So my question is, what, or I guess how, was the addiction of smoking excluded from all these other forms of "pre-existing" addictions/conditions? Seems to me that smoking, an addiction just like anything else, is a pre-existing condition. So what am I missing here? :dontknow: Anyone care to share their thoughts/knowledge on the subject?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! And that's just the beginning, it doesn't have to make sense! It's all about money! Has nothing to do with your best interest! They have the majority convinced that smokers cost them money personally. And I think there is a lot more to it. This just my short version. lol We are taught to dislike smokers and feel sry for drug addicts too!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, there is another curious thing about shopping around for healthcare now,......if you're just shopping around for quotes, why do you need to input your social security number in order to do so? Seems to me that this required field wouldn't be necessary until you've chosen a plan? They say existing conditions can no longer be factored into your premiums, however, a recent case of two identical twins making the same incomes, one with health issues, the other without, may bring this new pledge into question. I wonder what might happen if those identical twins switch SS numbers? A few people out there are playing with these scenarios, as well as others. Apparently, not everything is quite as it has been advertised? :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS, Check you cell VM or your pm here. ..... I left messages on both..

This is a political thread it will be moved once I know you seen messages.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! And that's just the beginning, it doesn't have to make sense! It's all about money! Has nothing to do with your best interest! They have the majority convinced that smokers cost them money personally. And I think there is a lot more to it. This just my short version. lol We are taught to dislike smokers and feel sry for drug addicts too!
As a former smokeless tobacco "addict" I feel I can comment. Smoking and other forms of tobacco DO cost us all personally, or at least those of us who still pay taxes, to the tune of 200 billion per year. Half in direct healthcare costs and the other half in lost productivity.

Last edited:

Dimmer123

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2014
Detector(s) used
FISHER F2 with 8 in and 4 in coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you. It has not proven that these other addiction cause cancer or any other long term affects like smoking is my only guess. ?????

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a former smokeless tobacco "addict" I feel I can comment. Smoking and other forms of tobacco DO cost us all personally, or at least those of us who still pay taxes, to the tune of 200 billion per year. Half in direct healthcare costs and the other half in lost productivity.

Maybe..So do many other products! Tobacco users do pay a higher tax when they buy the product. Idk Instead of using the money to build stadiums put it aside. The sin tax should be used to pay for the sins if that is a true problem. I do understand both sides! I just question the way its presented and the actual numbers. I had a relative that smoked when they were younger, he quit 50 plus years ago and died of brain cancer. They said it was from smoking years ago. nonsense, they just didn't have any explanation and had to put something down! Either way tobacco is bad! And no one should have to or do I expect anyone to pay for my choices! And the lost productivity is not an issue. We have a whole society of lost productivity and wasted money! lol

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Same dim bulbs who consider tobacco bad and want it banned seem to thing pot is good and want it legalized.

Is it because cigarettes don't give you the munchies? No, it's because you don't become brain dead on cigarettes.

Same process, more in number and more dangerous chemicals get the pass for the pot heads while a standard for hard working people gets banned.

I don't smoke either, but the difference is only in the destruction of a person's drive to accomplish something. Pot takes it away.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same dim bulbs who consider tobacco bad and want it banned seem to thing pot is good and want it legalized.

Is it because cigarettes don't give you the munchies? No, it's because you don't become brain dead on cigarettes.

Same process, more in number and more dangerous chemicals get the pass for the pot heads while a standard for hard working people gets banned.

I don't smoke either, but the difference is only in the destruction of a person's drive to accomplish something. Pot takes it away.

I often wonder and never really checked into it, Are pot related illness's grouped in with tobacco user statistics? It causes problems too! Anyhow, I don't want to sidetrack thread too far! It's easy to get people to agree with something if you convince them it's costing them money! This goes way deeper than we can get into here! lol Just look at it this way...Tobacco users are paying the right amount! They are ripping you off by telling you we cost you more! Maybe?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I'm one of those "dim bulbs" but far from brain dead. That's a silly misnomer. And no I don't use it anymore but would if legalized and the tests were improved to be able to detect if a person was clean while working.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I'm one of those "dim bulbs" but far from brain dead. And no I don't use it anymore but would if legalized.

I don't use either! I have known some very bright responsible, successful people that do! I'm one of those people that's caught in the middle of a lot of things because I know so many types of people! So I can appreciate and respect all sides!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EVERYONE I know that uses pot on a continual basis are not functional members of society. Maybe they are just naturally disfunctional and that's why they use dope but they do not function normally. I'm just curious about one thing when you consider higher premiums for smokers. If you are one of those worthless people that don't have an income by choice except for the money taxpayers have to provide for you, do the taxpayers also have to pay your higher premium for you if you also smoke? Must have to 'cause we can't let you not be covered for medical problems you bring upon yourself.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EVERYONE I know that uses pot on a continual bases are not functional members of society. Maybe they are just naturally disfunctional and that's why they use dope but they do not function normally. I'm just curious about one thing when you consider higher premiums for smokers. If you are one of those worthless people that don't have an income by choice except for the money taxpayers have to provide for you, do the taxpayers also have to pay your higher premium for you if you also smoke? Must have to 'cause we can't let you not be covered for medical problems you bring upon yourself.

I think you would be surprised at the very successful people that you don't know who do use marijuana. The old adage that they're bums laying in the ally ways simply isn't true. Sure there are irresponsible persons abusing all sorts of things making them non productive members of society. Alcohol being one of the worst I know of.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
EVERYONE I know that uses pot on a continual bases are not functional members of society. Maybe they are just naturally disfunctional and that's why they use dope but they do not function normally. I'm just curious about one thing when you consider higher premiums for smokers. If you are one of those worthless people that don't have an income by choice except for the money taxpayers have to provide for you, do the taxpayers also have to pay your higher premium for you if you also smoke? Must have to 'cause we can't let you not be covered for medical problems you bring upon yourself.

... and I've seen formerly functional workers become deadbeats over pot.

They all said: "It doesn't affect me that way!"

Then they couldn't get motivated to do their job. It destroys all drive to do a job and do it well. It also tends to make folks b**** and moan about their lot in life while doing absolutely nothing to improve it. But that's ok, they can blame their boss's paycheck for making them poor.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think you would be surprised at the very successful people that you don't know who do use marijuana. The old adage that they're bums laying in the ally ways simply isn't true. Sure there are irresponsible persons abusing all sorts of things making them non productive members of society. Alcohol being one of the worst I know of.

Abuse of anything that alters one's mental state is not productive and does not lead to success.

... but just for fun, which presidents have been the most popular with cannabis smokers?

THAT will speak volumes as to its effects.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Smoking cigs def alters your state of mind, it reduces stress.
Not everybody that has a marijuana medical card smokes it, nor does all marijuana make you high.
The THC is what makes you high, medical pot has a high level of CBD and a very small % of THC, therefore no buzz, but absolute pain reduction.
My wife whom has MS, uses oil made from high CBD strains and applys it to her skin, a zillion man made drugs that were killing her are no longer needed, and she was able to be wheened off the opiate pain meds, and everybody knows how those effect your body.
So something completely natural has given her back some mobility, and greatly increased her quality of life.
Wish the old timers would do a Lil research before they say things like dysfunctional and brain dead.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

Mike

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
because "TOBACCO" is a legally sold state and federally govt taxed product * ( so is alcohol as well , so its odd that "addiction" to one is allowed and the "addiction" other isn't allowed as a "pre existing condition" ) -- but how else can they "stick it" fiscally to the poor working man "cigarette smokers" (most of whom drink as well by the way. ) with the new "mandatory" health coverage being required it has a "built in tax angle in it" .--that's why the supreme court said basically --its a "tax".

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a funny thread! In my experience with the people I know! Users that admit to it and are proud of it usually don't care about anything and like everything else it can be over used! You guys would be amazed at corporate and family members who use!! I was! I only smoke cigs. And when I got out into the "real world", after meeting many different types of people was amazed at the drug use that does go on! Companies have drug tests, management is usually exempt or have ways around it! lol I know a lot of very productive rich users! I personally don't agree, It's not my thing, but some of you guys are misinformed! lol

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a funny thread! In my experience with the people I know! Users that admit to it and are proud of it usually don't care about anything and like everything else it can be over used! You guys would be amazed at corporate and family members who use!! I was! I only smoke cigs. And when I got out into the "real world", after meeting many different types of people was amazed at the drug use that does go on! Companies have drug tests, management is usually exempt or have ways around it! lol I know a lot of very productive rich users! I personally don't agree, It's not my thing, but some of you guys are misinformed! lol
Yep, let them keep their head up their derrière. How did it turn political attack because it just eats away at their soul!!!!!!!!!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sry I side tracked from thread! lol I just think the op question isn't a simple one, and there is a lot that plays into it! It's not as simple as smokers cost more! And where does it stop? Caffeine users, risk takers, over eating,bad diet, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread