Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
WHY ... perhaps there is a reason we don't know ... but WHY can we not ignore threads by making them invisible?

I would really like to take one thread and burn the entire thing as I find it offensive. It is allowed political speak, subtle but political, and I really don't want to be tempted to comment again.

I would really like to either know the reason we can't ignore (other forums, if I ignore a thread, I never see it again unless I'm an admin or mod there ... even if they're VBulletin sites like this one).

Can you guys take some time and make it so?

Occasionally I click on this thread while intending to click on another.

Twice that has resulted in my being banned.

You let these folks weave political belief systems into their comments and ignore them, but let me dare respond and it's off to banned camp.

Please, can you guys make ignore mean ignore here?

I'll take your response as applying to all equally. We all know I'm not special ...

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly what you're talking about!

Here's a line from my locked post "Last whip at the dead horse."

"So what happens now when someone has their post deleted because it fits the description of being political or religious but another post is left alone even though it’s of the same nature?
The issue of fairness will now PLAGUE T-net as some will be upset that their post was taken away but others remained unscathed."

This forum is a small example of what's been happening across the continent with "Political Correctness" going overboard.

In the end it doesn't seem to achieve equality!

I better stop now! :BangHead:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I would like this feature too! I love the site except for the insults and propaganda. It may only be because this is the only one with a smart device app.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forwarded to admins. ..

For me it's no different then quitting sugar, cigarettes or alcohol, you just don't click on a thread...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your request is posted on admin forum along with link to this thread...

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks TH. My problem is it is an active thread and on more than one occasion (it happened today) I have accidentally clicked on that thread.

Today I realized what I had done before that thread loaded, and hit the back button. But, every time I get there I see something politically charged ... you know what happens next.

On one occasion the instigator seeing my post made the time out worth it.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm gonna bump this because I really think it will benefit the members if we can actually turn off offensive topics.

Not seeing them or what the latest post in them is would be an even better way to avoid offending anyone.

And isn't that what life is all about: Not offending others?

Just look at Mr. Sterling and his comments. He broke the golden rule of PC by offending others. Cost him 2.5 million bucks and he can never attend another boring basketball game or pay any players exhorbitant salaries again.

We can't have that here so ... while we're all adults, avoiding temptation is the best way to avoid offending or being offended.

I hope you folks will decide to turn that feature back on (whoever turned it off forgot to remove the switch when they deactivated it).

I find certain threads quite offensive and would really like not to even see them when I visit here.

... or did you guys just ignore this thread?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chad as I said I posted your request on the admin forum, waiting on fix..

jwbro

Mar 25, 2014
Blue Ridge, Va
Detector(s) used
White's QXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever happened to, "If you don't like the show, turn the channel"?

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Whoever set up this forum "fixed" the option so that it doesn't work. It's more of an "unfix", but thanks for the reply TH.

@jwbro: That doesn't work here as no one could follow your suggestion and they whined about folks talking about guns and politics and religion (although the psychics, paranormal, etc forum lives ... "faith" is the belief in things you can't prove or see, which is a religious thing) threads.

They could not ignore it, so they read it. Then they cried when others didn't believe the same as they did.

I would really like to turn off the above mentioned forum as I find it offensive -- as do a few others -- then it wouldn't bother me when I log on. I could just go where I wish and not see the things that offend me.

... and isn't that the secret to a happy life? Never being offended? Some here seem to think so, so thought I would push to make sure they don't get offended unless they just want to find something to bellyache about.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess this is why I truly love to just go down to my woodshop and create anything I feel like making or creating all by myself. And if I don't like what's on the radio I'll change the channel or put in a CD. When I get around people I listen and then I usually ask a "stupid" question and then it's downhill from there. I'm my own best friend I guess.... (and my black lab "Mamma dog").

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya have to "lift the lid" to open Pandora's Box........some can ignore it, others just HAVE to open it. I consider the internet like the big city, full of things to either get upset over or ignore or like in my case....live off the grid ten miles from the closest town and it's only two blocks long. If I pass a store front with a sign stating Demonic Demons Inside I can't very well complain if I enter and get a spell put on me:laughing7:

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ya have to "lift the lid" to open Pandora's Box........some can ignore it, others just HAVE to open it. I consider the internet like the big city, full of things to either get upset over or ignore or like in my case....live off the grid ten miles from the closest town and it's only two blocks long. If I pass a store front with a sign stating Demonic Demons Inside I can't very well complain if I enter and get a spell put on me:laughing7:

Thanks for that post. I don't think you've been around here long enough to know what sparked this desire to return the feature to forum ... it's a default feature of VBulletin BBS.

We had forums where folks used to talk about all manner of things, but some folks just refused to be happy unless they could spoil other folks fun. Twice I made a comment about it on a thread started by one of those individuals, twice I was banned.

Instead of restoring the "Ignore This Thread" and "Ignore This Forum", management caved to the whiners and removed the forums and forbade the discussion of those topics. I agree that it is their purview to make such decisions, but I really wish they had not changed the software to disallow the "Ignore" option.

I admin other forums, one of which is a VBulleting forum. It works there, not here. We did no special programming and didn't pay the VBulletin crew to make any "special" changes, and it works on that forum.

I say, remove the temptation and in the process you will remove the problem - thus making the mods jobs easier and less stressful.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is admins are aware and I'm waiting for replies. remember they own a lot of forums....

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
You new guys that have only been here a month or 2 are making common sense suggestions of course. If you're not interested in the program don't turn on that channel. What you missed and what chadeaux is asking for is a level playing field. Several of us, myself included got time outs on here because of constant whining by thin skinned members who don't have the spine to follow that advice or what I believe to be true is that they purposely clicked on those topics with the express intention of looking for things to complain about. It's against the rules to outright call them trolls so I won't do that and I'm not naming names.... I think I know the thread that chadeaux is referring to that's lodaed with political content and why those guys haven't been told they have to pay to play in the newly created "members only" politics forum is beyond me. The issue here is not whether or not to read things that don't interest you. The issue is having the same set of rules for everyone. Treasure Hunter and at least one other of the mods knows this to be true and I hope my comments are allowed to stand since every word of it is absolutely the truth. Hope this helps. And welcome to the site.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You new guys that have only been here a month or 2 are making common sense suggestions of course. If you're not interested in the program don't turn on that channel. What you missed and what chadeaux is asking for is a level playing field. Several of us, myself included got time outs on here because of constant whining by thin skinned members who don't have the spine to follow that advice or what I believe to be true is that they purposely clicked on those topics with the express intention of looking for things to complain about. It's against the rules to outright call them trolls so I won't do that and I'm not naming names.... I think I know the thread that chadeaux is referring to that's lodaed with political content and why those guys haven't been told they have to pay to play in the newly created "members only" politics forum is beyond me. The issue here is not whether or not to read things that don't interest you. The issue is having the same set of rules for everyone. Treasure Hunter and at least one other of the mods knows this to be true and I hope my comments are allowed to stand since every word of it is absolutely the truth. Hope this helps. And welcome to the site.

Any timeouts given were for rule violations.

If you feel a thread or post is violating rules report it to mods...

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
TH I absolutely agree and I'll also add that you are one of the most patient & unbiassed mods we have here. Buttt.. as you know rules violations happen every day and the only ones that result in punishment are those that get reported. Being purposely baited into a response by someone just so they can hit the "report" button time and time again should be a violation in itself. I belong to many many other forums where "trolling" and "creating drama" is grounds for a time out as well as the normal rules like we have here. It would cut back on ALOT of the bickering if these guy were put on a short leash but they have been allowed to play bigtime games with the rules and it's simply not fair. At one point it was recommended that I put certain members on ignore so they couldn't bait me into making comments that might get me in trouble. Seriously ? Let them continue their bad behavior while censoring what I'm allowed to read ? Not hardly...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Actually, that was what my comment was the second time I was banned for commenting in that particular thread. I replied to a BLATANTLY political statement and got time off.

It was all good though, I took in a new customer, built them a website and made some extra cash in that week or two off.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH I absolutely agree and I'll also add that you are one of the most patient & unbiassed mods we have here. Buttt.. as you know rules violations happen every day and the only ones that result in punishment are those that get reported. Being purposely baited into a response by someone just so they can hit the "report" button time and time again should be a violation in itself. I belong to many many other forums where "trolling" and "creating drama" is grounds for a time out as well as the normal rules like we have here. It would cut back on ALOT of the bickering if these guy were put on a short leash but they have been allowed to play bigtime games with the rules and it's simply not fair.

My friend rules are rules. Mods and admins decide who is trolling. We will not ban someone who makes a post that is within TN rules but incites someone else to lose their temper...

Do you know how many times people have posted something I disagreed with and bit my tongue, my tongue is a nub now...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want option to ignore thread, but bulk at existing option to ignore people who you say bait you??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread