Antique Bottles Question Could use a little info!

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Classic Hill Mine, Siskiyou County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glass Bottle Fragments.jpg
I found these glass fragments at the site of an old collapsed structure. They look hand blown to me but I don't know anything about antique bottles. I can find no record of what it was but several locals have told me that it was a hotel for gold miners that was in operation in the mid to late 1800's up until 19??. I also spoke with a senior citizen and long time local who told me that hippies were living in it as recently as the 60's. Can anyone tell by these glass fragments whether it might be worth excavating? There is a lot of debris and it would be a lot of work so I am trying to figure out the probability that it will be worth the time and effort Thanks...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you always have to enter any type of treasure hunting as a labor of love, rather then a potential profit project. Treasure hunting requires a lot of time and labor and big payoffs are very rare, typically you're lucky when you break even. As for the fragments in your picture, turn the bottle bottoms over and look for "pigtails"...these will tell you if the glass was blown or not. Also look for air bubbles in the glass. I don't see anything that appears that old in the picture but can't say without actually looking for these things. But you just never know what else you might find besides bottles?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread