Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM! - Monty Python

Personally, I find spam distasteful. When I've reported spammers here, it has been taken care of ... but its usually just one more aggravation that mods and admins have to deal with that is really unnecessary and cumbersome.

Wouldn't it be better not to have spam in the first place? Besides, if it's up on the boards for more than 15 minutes it really starts to stink.

Most mods and admins don't know it but Bots are now able to defeat ALL forms of static captcha. The spam we are getting here is not human generated, it is a bot placing a predetermined script on the page (two I can think of were carbon copies this week).

Regular captcha, re-captcha, even questions are now being defeated by bots. We are starting to see it here much more often ... and requiring a response to an email is also easily circumvented by the programmers of those bots.

There is a solution I have seen and used. It really works and has been driving the spammers mad.

Not sure how well it integrates with V-bulletin boards, but PLEASE look into NuCaptcha.

ZERO, ZILCH, NONE, NADA spammers on my 2 small boards since implementing. New members, so long as they are human, have no problems solving nucaptcha.

It is relatively cheap. I even built my own flash version for contact forms on my website and those of my clients.

And, for the owners of Forum Foundry ... now you can include ads to promote you OR sell your sponsors ad space for the background (maybe even make a profit by using a process that actually works).

More info on stopping spammers?

NuCaptcha II Most secure and usable Captcha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread