CHILI COOKOFF - Who will be first King/Queen of Tnets Best Tastin Chili?

M

MiniMe

CHILI COOKOFF - Who will be first King/Queen of Tnet's Best Tastin Chili?

There have been many contests on this site and not all related to Treasure Hunting. How about one that involves cooking.....so here we go... ::) I am proposing a Tnet Chili Cookoff...Search through your treasured recipes and give me the best Chili recipe you've got. :)

Here are the rules:
1 entry per person. Recipe limited to 2 pounds of meat and can only contain ingredients that you can purchase from a regular grocery store - no wildgame - not even venison, sorry, don't have enough in the freezer to test with. This is not a contest for the hottest chili, It's the Best Tasting Chili that will win. Categories being: originality, texture and taste...I will test cook each recipe and Civilman1 will taste test each one and be the final judge for the King/Queen of Tnet's Best Tastin Chili. Look out Civil...here come the bribes :) ;). Closing date for contest is April 7, 2007.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: CHILI COOKOFF - Who will be first King/Queen of Tnet's Best Tastin Chili?

I can't believe nobody has responded!

(I wanted the recipies too!) LMAO ;)

T

TreasureTales

Ingredients:

2 lbs. ground round
1 lb. pinto beans (canned)
1 lg. yellow onion (diced)
3 T vegetable oil
1 qt. canned tomatoes
1 lg. green pepper (bell pepper)
1 sm. can pimientos
1/5 t. chili powder
1/4 t. thyme (ground)
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. celery seeds
1/4 t. salt (optional)
4 oz. beer (optional) or beef stock

Over medium heat, put oil into a cast iron dutch oven and when heated, add the onions and let cook until translucent (stirring occasionally). Next, add the ground round and brown. Drain the canned ingredients and stir them into the beef along with the dry ingredients. Clean and dice pepper and add to the pot. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 30 - 45 minutes. If chile begins to dry out, add the beer (or beef stock) and continue to let simmer until the consistency is that of clam chowder.

Serve hot as is, or over rice.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I don't think you are ready for real Texas Red! So, I will give you my Recipe for Bluebelly Chili instead!

In large stockpot, combine 2# Chili Grind Beef, 2 Chopped Onions, & 4 Minced Garlic Cloves. Cook & Stir over Med. Heat till Beef is Browned. Drain.
Stir in 2 Tbsp Chili Powder, 2 tsp Salt, 2 tsp Dried Oregano, 4 (14.5oz) Cans Stewed Tomatoes, & 1 (15oz) Can of Tomato Sauce. Break up Tomatoes while Stirring. Heat to Boiling, Reduce Heat to Simmer, & Cover. Cook, Stirring Occasionally, for 1 Hour.
Stir in 1 (15oz) Can Kidney Beans with Liquid. Simmer, uncovered for 20 min. Stir Occasionally.

Enjoy!!!! :-* Joe

S

stefen

I was going to enter the contest, but somehow Buscadero beat me to it (Same recipe) however mine contained the optional canned possum (Aka, Throw Possum) that is available from Buckie's.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

In Texas we use Road Kill Armadillo, the riper, the better! Mmmmmm Good!!! :P

Joe

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro

Soak 1/2 lb. pinto and 3/4lb. kidney beans overnight (pick out the rocks) and rinse. (I can't do canned beans.)

Put beans in large oven roasting pan and add two to four quarts hot water (accord. to pan size).
Preheat oven to 350deg.
add; 2 lg. Walla Walla or Texas sweets, diced large.
2 large cans (4oz. ea.) diced Ortega chilies.
1 head of garlic (peeled and diced).
2tsp. ground cumin.
2tsp garlic salt
4oz. New Mexico chili powder.
2 lg. cans stewed tomatos.

Mix everything together and bring to boiling on top of stove. Make sure mix is very soupy, LOTS of liquid. Take off heat and break up two lbs. coarse ground round...Coarse means it comes out of the grinder in chewy pieces. A good butcher will do this for you (actually I would use 4 lb. of meat,but.....ain't my rules). Place, (do not STIR in meat)broken up raw meat chunks evenly over top of everything and press into liquid.

Put on baking pan lid and place in 375deg. preheated oven. Bake for two hours WITHOUT looking. After two hours you will probably need to add liquid; chicken stock, beef stock or water. Give it one good stir (don't break up the chunks of meat) and replace lid and bake for one to two more hrs. (check for doneness of beans).

After approx 2 hours from start, add two more cans stewed tomatos(earlier tomatos will have turned into sauce) and two lg. cans WHOLE Ortega chilis. Also add two tablespoons Masa Harina(corn flour). Mix, temper, the Masa with about a cup of the liquid and mix thoroughly. Stir one time through to mix in corn flour and put the lid back on and put back in oven for another hour or two (again, ck. doneness of beans).

Neat thing, other than great taste, is you do not have to stir it constantly. It's like a 'slow-cooker'; does not stick and burn. It is also good with chunked pork shoulder instead of grnd. rnd.. If you use pork, don't put it in until the last 2hours. It will cook away to nothing.

Bud

edit; I've revised this darn recipe. Mixed it up with another in my head. I'm cooking it myself right now. It'll be so good you even eat the bones!!!

T

TreasureTales

Since we're giving away our family secret recipes, there should be a prize. What's the prize? Gotta have a prize!!!

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used

The only thing I'd hold out for a prize for is my tamale recipe. So good you even eat the bones!!!

T

TreasureTales

BudP said:
The only thing I'd hold out for a prize for is my tamale recipe. So good you even eat the bones!!!

If you've got bones in your tamales, you're doing something wrong. ;D

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's a recipe I've made for years that has received good reviews by all that have tried it.

I do modify the recipe slightly by adding Kidney Beans ( 2 or 3 cans) at the end of the cooking, about 25 minutes before serving. Also a nice touch is I will sometimes place the chili in individual crocks and melt a little cheese over the top.

Also I will sometimes add a little chili paste to give it a little more heat. I LOVE hot stuff, anything hot, but my wife and kids can't handle it too hot so I typically don't over do it.

I also will use a couple of different cuts of beef and tend to go around 15lbs of beef (before trimming) rather than the ten pounds in the recipe. The cut up chunks of beef are a nice alternative for a real hearty chili over typical ground beef recipes.

The different cuts of meat actually help with the texture of the chili, as some of the cuts will shred up in the pressure cooker while others will stay more as chunks, though I have to say that all the meat ends up being very tender and flavorful.

Ignore the other recipe X'd out on the page, I've never made that one.

Thanks for the post! I love good chili. Hell, I just love good food.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Attachments

• My Chili Recipe.jpg
    My Chili Recipe.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 236

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oops, didn't notice the 2# beef requirement, and here I'm telling you to go for 15#'s...lol

Oh well, forget about me as far as the contest goes, but don't overlook the recipe, and don't misjudge it because it's not a "family secret recipe", I'm telling ya ...it's good eats!

JCH

OP
OP
M

MiniMe

TreasureTales said:
Since we're giving away our family secret recipes, there should be a prize. What's the prize? Gotta have a prize!!!

I'll have to think about this one....I'll figure something out, maybe a TNET Chili Cookoff Champion full apron, chef hat, or maybe a golden spatula.....I don't know, give me some ideas.... :D

OP
OP
M

MiniMe

Montana Jim said:
I can't believe nobody has responded!

(I wanted the recipies too!) LMAO ;)

Didn't think anyone was interested....so I was just going to remove post. Well I guess it's on now..... ::)

OP
OP
M

MiniMe

Johnny Cache Hunter said:
Oops, didn't notice the 2# beef requirement, and here I'm telling you to go for 15#'s...lol

Oh well, forget about me as far as the contest goes, but don't overlook the recipe, and don't misjudge it because it's not a "family secret recipe", I'm telling ya ...it's good eats!

JCH

I'm sure I can reduce the recipe to make a batch, done it many times, so you're not out of this yet JCH, sounds really good. :)

OP
OP
M

MiniMe

buscadero said:

Joe

Ewwww, now that's just not right....LOL :D

S

stefen

MiniMe said:
buscadero said:

Joe

Ewwww, now that's just not right....LOL :D

Better known as Texas Speedbumps ;D

Do people really eat armadillos?

Yes. In many areas of Central and South America, armadillo meat is often used as part of an average diet. I have heard that some peoples of South America keep small varieties of armadillos as edible housepets. During the Depression, armadillos were often eaten by hungry people. They were called "Hoover Hogs" by people angry with then-President Herbert Hoover's broken promise of a chicken in every pot. The meat is said to taste like fine-grained, high-quality pork.

T

TreasureTales

MiniMe said:
TreasureTales said:

I'll have to think about this one....I'll figure something out, maybe a TNET Chili Cookoff Champion full apron, chef hat, or maybe a golden spatula.....I don't know, give me some ideas.... :D

A nice oven mitt might be nice. Something encrusted in gold coins and silver dollars. hehehe

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used

Armadillo ain't half bad if you scrape them up before they paint the yellow stripe on 'em. And...whadda you mean, 'tamales ain't suppose to have bones'?

T

TreasureTales

BudP said:
Armadillo ain't half bad if you scrape them up before they paint the yellow stripe on 'em. And...whadda you mean, 'tamales ain't suppose to have bones'?

Armadillos aren't found in CA (not yet anyway) so I didn't realize that their bones are commonly found in Texas chili. Please excuse my ignorance. Here, ya see, we have people who make chili with tofu. Now that's disgusting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions