mitchellf

Apr 11, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I NEVER find that kinda stuff with my metal detector!

What kind of detector do you use?

Maybe I can find that kinda stuff if i use the same kind as you do.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way it is written, to me anyway, means 1 times a number (x) is equal to 5 times another number (y)
if x=5 then 1x also = 5. That would mean y would have to equal 1. 1x would mean 1 x 5 and 5y would mean 5 x 1. So, ix5=5x1. The "x" could represent any number but "y" would always be 1/5 of "x". Hence, if "x" represented 50 then "y" would have to be 10. I'm a dropout so don't be betting lives on my logic. Doesn't the symbol 1x mean 1 times something and the symbol 5y mean 5 times something??

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
1 beer can equal 5 trips to the urinal...

Beverage2.gif

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice! I NEVER find that kinda stuff with my metal detector!

What kind of detector do you use?

Maybe I can find that kinda stuff if i use the same kind as you do.

Bit off topic eh? I always thought that "Everything Else" meant things NOT having to do with metal detectors and treasure hunting.

Anyhow, right now an Ace 250 but not finding much since I work and own 2 small businesses. May purchase another if I get time to use the one I have right now. I also coin roll hunt, spend a bit of time on some of the other forums here but can't say anything great has come my way ... yet.

So, are you thinking that perhaps I should just ... go away?

The way it is written, to me anyway, means 1 times a number (x) is equal to 5 times another number (y)
if x=5 then 1x also = 5. That would mean y would have to equal 1. 1x would mean 1 x 5 and 5y would mean 5 x 1. So, ix5=5x1. The "x" could represent any number but "y" would always be 1/5 of "x". Hence, if "x" represented 50 then "y" would have to be 10. I'm a dropout so don't be betting lives on my logic. Doesn't the symbol 1x mean 1 times something and the symbol 5y mean 5 times something??

That is the way I was taught too. Us older people remembering how things really work sure does throw a monkey wrench into these folks days.

I know if the professor ever reads this he's gonna be upset with a bunch of folks for not agreeing with him.

I've seen him get angry, and it ain't pretty. I've seen him threaten physical altercations when someone crossed him.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The most important thing in an equation is the "=" sign
Equal, equate equilateral equivalent.........All Men are created equal. All equations are created equal.
I'm going home now......

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I emailed the professor some of the statements made here, and at class tonite I'll confront him again and see if he can explain his logic.

I don't expect much though. He's fantastic at communicating to us what his answer to a problem is and at telling us what to do, but he isn't so good at communicating reasons for any of it.

Kinda like when the playground bully told you what to do and his best reason was, "Because I told you to!" Then he laughed at you when you did it. Really degrading!!!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know if the professor ever reads this he's gonna be upset with a bunch of folks for not agreeing with him.

I've seen him get angry, and it ain't pretty. I've seen him threaten physical altercations when someone crossed him.
If the professor reads this, HE"LL be upset with some of US! (hold on a sec) :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
Let him know I wish him well with that!

Yeah, I've seen bully judges, cops, teachers, case workers, etc........ always quick to promote violence.
How's THAT working out for him, too? :laughing7:

I guess he mite be a impotant man! :icon_scratch:
Let him know, we'll all be quaking in our boots. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If the professor reads this, HE"LL be upset with some of US! (hold on a sec) :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
Let him know I wish him well with that!

Yeah, I've seen bully judges, cops, teachers, case workers, etc........ always quick to promote violence.
How's THAT working out for him, too? :laughing7:

I guess he mite be a impotant man! :icon_scratch:
Let him know, we'll all be quaking in our boots. :laughing7:

Well, Pat, you can't just challenge a professor and expect him to be ok with it.

I'll tell you about it after class this evening.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Just tell him that you have given him your time to in order to teach you.

If he doesn't properly teach you in the allotted time, and you don't have a thorough understanding of the materiel, he is a dismal failure and should seek another profession.

You did your part, now put the onus on him to do his...

Show him this if he fusses.

Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 8.31.45 PM.png

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I brought the paper to class and told the professor that at least 10 people I have dealt with in the last week say he is wrong. Boy was he mad that anyone would challenge him and his knowledge. Well, when I headed his way he told me to "stop immediately! Don't take another step!" Then he pulled a can of spray paint out of the bottom drawer of his desk and walked around to the front of it. He then proceeded to paint a line on the floor between he and I.

I asked him what that was all about and he said to stay on my side of the line when addressing him, then he moved back behind the desk as far as the dry erase board. He wrote the formula out again, then his answer.

Next I told him that the answer he had was fully wrong and he got boiling mad. Then he wanted to know why I wouldn't accept the fact that 1=5000. "Because it doesn't!" "It most certainly does, now sit down and shut up or I will have to remove you from my class.

I was once offered a chance to tryout for a professional football team ... in other words, I ain't little and the professor is build more like an basketball reject.

I called him an ugly name and again said he was wrong, that's when he got really mad and made a step in my direction. Never one to back down, I began heading in his direction to post the correct solution on the dry erase board. He must have thought I was about to do something else because he ran out of there screaming like a little girl who had found a spider in her toybox!

Security has been looking for him for about two hours now. Hope they find him soon because I don't want the cleaning crew to remove the answer before he sees it.

Edit:

Correct answer - proper format for the formula would have been x=5y. Therefore, whatever x is equal to, it takes 5 y's to be equal to 1 x. Thus x/5= y. So, if x = 1 (as he said) then y must be equal to .20

Last edited:

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is 30 minutes of my life that I will never get back.

Many years ago, I had a similar instructor. Does the last name of Sperry sound familar?

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kind of sounds like 1 deserter is equal to 5 commanders but I'm just guessing.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
No class this evening ... still no professor and both his assistants for the class quit.

Maybe you're right Limitool --- he is still "AWOL" LOL!!!

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What level of math class is this? Algebra? Trig? Calc? Physics? Geometry?

Been 40 yrs since my college math classes. Only way it could possibly be taken is that the 'f's were missing where as

the Function of X = 5 * the Function of Y. However, without knowing the Function at X or Y, you're still left in the liberal math la la land.

Tell him that "We The People" demand satisfaction in this case.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
They gotta find him first.

Word is he's out of town right now. I know he claimed to have family who fought at Normandy so perhaps he's observing the event with his last few close friends.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
They found him. He was out of the country visiting with friends.

Gonna demand an answer again tomorrow evening.

As for the course, I'm getting training in accounting under the "Common Core Model" - boss thinks it will do us all some good to "expand" our thinking. I just don't see any of it helping our business.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Got my answer, but it is quite politically charged. Can't post it all here without getting in trouble.

The professor is quite determined that 1 is exactly equal to AT LEAST 5,000 ... maybe many more.

Something about one soldier, and 5 Taliban commanders.

I still say it isn't correct.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think the teacher is playing with your mine! lol Lets see if I can remember back to my algebra from the 50s. An equation is exactly balanced. That is one side equals the other. Now whatever you do to one side, you must do to the other to keep it balanced. This equation has a couple of problems. First it has 2 unknowns and second you usually don't use 1. the letters are all one unless a # precedes them. So 1x is really just x. That means X=5Y. This equation is reduced as far as it can go without knowing the value of Y. Any way, it's been a long time since that algebra course. Frank...-
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
In reality, you just can't put anything in for the letters. It's suppose to match a formula like e=mc2.
e is energy, m is mass, c is distance and that is squared. You have to fill in with actual values for m & c to get e.
Frank...- View attachment 1007645

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread