Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm involved in furthering my education evenings and weekends. So, I was given this math formula to solve, and it seemed simple enough but after looking at my work, the professor told me I was completely wrong:

1x=5y

So, my little feeble mind (computer programming, math major, paralegal, etc. in my professional career) tells me that the proper answer is:

1(5)=5(1)

After assuring me that my answer is incorrect, the professor tells me that the correct answer is:

1(1)=5(1000)

Can anyone explain this to me?

I really can't wrap my head around this, so can anyone help?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If x is a pomegranate and y are the seeds...

1 pomegranate ='s 1,000 seeds.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1(1)=5(1000)

Can anyone explain this to me?

I really can't wrap my head around this, so can anyone help?
Well, the correct cat answer would be:

1 (x cat turd) = 5 (y litter crystals)

One cat turd in the litter box, will attract 5000 litter crystals.

Didn't need no calculator algebra help for that one PB. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm lost.... 1 is not = to 5000. I used to like these kind of problems but can't remember S**t, Probably since I used it sooo much in daily life! lol :laughing7:

The professor said that anyone with a solution for y that was lower than 1,000 was wrong. In fact, according to some of the other students the total of 5 (y) could be as high as 250,000 or more.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The professor said that anyone with a solution for y that was lower than 1,000 was wrong. In fact, according to some of the other students the total of 5 (y) could be as high as 250,000 or more.
Well, yes, that makes cat-sense. :laughing7:

1 (x cat) = 5 (y fleas)

One cat will attract a 1,250,000 fleas.

Where's my diploma! :laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, the correct cat answer would be: 1 (x cat turd) = 5 (y litter crystals) One cat turd in the litter box, will attract 5000 litter crystals. Didn't need no calculator algebra help for that one PB. :laughing7:

The problem Cat is that your "hooked" on cats. Your close though. 1 (x dog turds) = 5 (y lawn mowing's) divided by 7 dogs. It's so simple girl....

Sorry ... I don't know shite about it. But I can build a hell of a toy box.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Everyone is forgetting. The professor says x = 1. He assured me again today that the formula is correct, as did his assistant. They say I just don't understand mathematics correctly. He assures me that he is smarter than I ... so do his other assistant professors. I'm really stumped.

1 * 1 = 1 where I'm from.

5 * 1,000 = 5,000 where I'm from.

So, how can 1 = 5,000?

The consensus among the staff is that he is the most intelligent professor on staff.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone is forgetting. The professor says x = 1. He assured me again today that the formula is correct, as did his assistant. They say I just don't understand mathematics correctly. He assures me that he is smarter than I ... so do his other assistant professors. I'm really stumped.

So, how can 1 = 5,000?

The consensus among the staff is that he is the most intelligent professor on staff.

If X=1, then Y=.20

No matter how you look at it, there can be no other answer....:BangHead:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

So, how can 1 = 5,000?

Partner I truly wish I could help ya and enjoy your threads and posts.... but excuse me if I add humor. But I do realize your serious!!!!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It could work with currency.

1 dollar (or something else) could translate to 5,000 ickies (you find the currency that matches)

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, and 1x weed eater in wrong spot = 5,000x bad dog turd! Nope! This never, ever happened to me either!:laughing7:Please don't tell me I'm the only one that this has happened to in 90 degree heat, and gagged the whole day washing my face 100 times the next 2 days!

Your NOT ALONE... feel better? How about driving the rider around and hitting a "fresh spot". All of a sudden your bold upright and it won't go away because it's now within the treads of the tires and WON'T GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!! FEEL BETTER?????????????

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chad, smarts is a subjective thing. :laughing7:
Tell the professor, when his heart seizes up one day, what formula he think,
gonna restart it? And whether that will matter, at that moment. :icon_scratch:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
1 question = 5 thousand answers grasshopper.

Choose the path without disturbing the rice paper.

Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 5.07.49 PM.png

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Listen... when you get the answer or "logic" let us know... I'm very interested in knowing what your "missing". And I'm sure it will be some "twisted logic" that can be applied but wasn't introduced into the problem.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chad, smarts is a subjective thing.

It most CERTAINLY is. I traveled the USA to many assembly plants with a High School diploma only then introducing a new methodology learned from working assembly after 26 years. Early, very time I gave a lecture to a group of engineers the question came up "Mr. LIMITOOL where did you get your education"? And I'd tell them from experience.... along with a H.S. diploma and many were really put off. But GM had already mandated it and the fight was on.

Not everything is taught from the top down but learned from the bottom up. But when pushed this way resistance is in full force.

Go get your answer guy.... And explain it in laymen's terms whether you right or wrong.... Brad

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to see what that prof would do if I asked him to give me $5000 for $1. Isn't that what he is saying? 1=5000? I'll exchange $1 for his $5000 as many times as I can. I've been around 71+ years and I've never heard such drivel. I'd sure like to have an explanation of how he reaches his conclusion.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'd like to see what that prof would do if I asked him to give me $5000 for $1. Isn't that what he is saying? 1=5000? I'll exchange $1 for his $5000 as many times as I can. I've been around 71+ years and I've never heard such drivel. I'd sure like to have an explanation of how he reaches his conclusion.

He swears it works, but you guys just don't understand. I can't wrap my head around it either, but he assured me again that it is correct.

I'm beginning to think the professor is delusional. Tenure?

I would try to talk to another professor, but he is over everyone else at this school.

EDIT: forgot to include that the professor likes your logic, but it does have one flaw --- he should give you the dollar.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread