Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We hear a lot today about missing emails (had it happen at work recently), and there has been some discussion about "crashed hard drives" in the news, but I respectfully ask that any political comment be addressed somewhere else. This is just a simple answer to the question: Do emails ever really go missing?

Let's begin. I'm a webmaster who allocates email addresses on my many domains to customers and family members. I do IT work as well (yes, I wear MANY hats in my day to day work and even represent my employer in court) so I do have some experience with the subject.

So, you have Outlook, Eudora, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird or some other email program on your computer to access your email. That is the only way in which you could lose emails you have received - for one of those programs to crash or the HDD they are using to store your emails crashes catastrophically.

In your day to day use, you click on "sync" or "send and receive" and the program downloads your emails from the domain server and then deletes them from the domain server and that's the end of it, right?

WRONG!

If you have set your email program to delete your messages after they are downloaded from the server, you have made sure they are no longer available to anyone else, right?

WRONG!

It actually works a bit differently than that. I won't go into great detail, but here is how it works:

When you download your messages from the email server, they are flagged as read on the server, but the original email remains on the server. We used to be able to delete those emails with dedicated email clients, but modern email clients do not actually delete the messages any more.

That is done server side. I don't automatically flush my emails because I have so much space available on my servers that there is no need. Almost like a big corporation, I can keep emails indefinitely on my servers.

In some cases, you can log on to the server's email program and look for your downloaded emails, and they won't be there. So, you got rid of them, right?

Wrong.

Those emails are still available via the server side controls. I've had to help a family member who lost all of her emails.

So, unless my domains go down, my customers' and family's emails are safely stored on my server even if their computers crash and all the emails they have downloaded over the past 10 years are lost.

They can log back on to the server once they have restored their OS (Operating System) and email client ... it will take some time, but the emails can all be downloaded again, along with the ones from their boyfriend they thought they had deleted 6 years ago.

If you really want your old emails to go away, contact your system administrator ... and he will have to delete them from the copy of the server files that are running today as well as all of the backups/mirrors that "best practices" requires them to do daily, weekly and monthly (and some do even more than that).

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
JUST CURIOUS, Can you get them from the "BIG memory BANK" using the FOI act. lol frank...-
111-2 de Vinci.jpg Sorry about that, just couldn't resist.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Frank, what I'm getting at is the emails are still on the server. If your admin is using best practices, there are MULTIPLE backups of the server. If the server's hard drives fail, you have a replacement ready to bring it back to the last point in time that the system was backed up. That means you have all of the emails up until yesterday if your server crashes today.

Too much hanky panky goes on in business with people claiming "my hard drive crashed so I lost your invoice."

BTW, not only does the server of the person receiving the email have a copy of it, the server of the person SENDING the email has a copy of it. More than once I've had that ruse played, so I just go back to the server and resend the email ... or restore all of their old emails by marking them all "unread" (which forces their computer to download every email they ever got all over again - and can take HOURS).

Remember Cheech & Chong's "Three Little Pigs" and what happened when the Landlord knocked on the door?

The first little pig, remembering what his father always told him to say, said: "There's nobody home!" Then the second little pig said: "The check's in the mail!"

Run into the same thing at times when I show up to initiate a repo: "My mamma's not here right now." So I say: "Go ask you mommie when she's gonna be back home." 90% of the time, the kid runs back saying, "Mommy, when you gonna be back home?"

Kids are honest, it's the parents you need to worry about.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, here's a thought. A stock firm is suing Google to remove there clients E Mails from Google's servers. It appears Google Is receiving the mirrored info from IP servers and sending it to NSA. Now you know why those targeted ads are following you. Frank...-
111-2 700 head of old man.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread