🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello T-net, just wanted to update this thread on my 4 year anniversary of quitting smoking.
Still hang out with smokers but never get a temptation at all.
No one has to respond here to this old topic, I just wanted to add my status after 4 years.
Blessings to anyone who is trying to quit....Whether they succeed or not!
Blessings also to those who make an effort to help smokers who are trying to quit. :thumbsup:
Hope everyone has a great summer.
Cheers,
Dave.

good job on not smoking

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My man! I just finished week two Monday! I like the gum the best. They give it away at the health department (I just bought it anyway) . I feel u on wanting to smoke the most while detecting. A list is good! There's so much to not like about it. I smoked since I was 12 yrs old and quit for a year or two. This time I m not going back. I feel it hurting my stamina and it makes water hunting tough. I used to b able to hold my breath for two minutes. Keep the hate in your heart for the smokes. I just found some n threw them away. It was tough but a huge victory. I could never waste then in the past. Keep up the good work. U r going to be so much happier!

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome that you've gone two weeks Tommybuckets! :headbang:
You're well on your way to being free from those nasty little things!
I can go detecting for a full day and never even think about lighting one to "pass the time" but there was a time when the two went hand in hand.
There were a few times over the years (when stressed) that I briefly thought about it but then quickly know that it will make me feel terrible.
Then getting hooked again would really suck.
Just can't imagine ever going back!
I hope everything works out for you.
Wishing you all the best!
:occasion14:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the support everyone! There's some great advice here and that will definitely help.
One of the biggest concerns I have is actually metal detecting.
Yep, that was the activity where I would smoke the most. When things got quiet and I went awhile without a signal, I would light a smoke to "keep me interested" in staying longer.
Or when I found something good, I would light a smoke in "celebration." Or often I would find a goody after lighting a smoke.
I know this is part of the illusion but I think it's wise for me to take a break from detecting for awhile until I reduce the cravings.
I'm going for the pain......no nicotine from the patch, gum, or E-cigs. Want it out of the system completely.
So far, healthy snacks, (like Pat suggested) regular gum, and a little herb in the evening. He he.
I thought I would be finished after having my morning coffee but surprisingly, I wasn't tempted that bad.
I've surrounded myself with smokers as well as those who don't. The smokers actually give me some comfort as I know they're like a safety net.
They're like that pack of unopened Colts my grandfather carried around in his shirt pocket for 20 years after he quit.
I guess the biggest help is my non-smoking girlfriend. I got sick of scrubbing myself over and over again (including brushing my tongue several times) just so I could be with her!
Speaking of which, I've got to go and pick her up from work in a few minutes.
Thanks so much everyone!
It means a lot to me.
:occasion14:

This sounds like me , I smoke a-lot while detecting , (I have yet to discern , how much I inhale or if I let it burn.)

It's a Rewards thing with me also, I still smoke , even in the shower heck I light one for every occasion....just lit one.

Man it's bad .
I started around 14 quit for 2 years in my 20's , but i'm now 47 so I been at it for awhile.

I may start vaping , I have tried the cheap but expensive Mark 10 , or Similar product (always with a coupon) but I need cheech & Chong like Tokes not little half hits . guess ill try a Unit as a Vape shop just opened up a Quarter mile away .

Tho I pass about 5 of them every time i'm out???

I say that I have "an Elvis personality" but can not Sing , just love Bad Habits .

Ill read the rest of the thread & hope you have overcome since late June.
God Bless

I just saw the date 2014 (must have had smoke in my eyes ) got through 5 pages now ill check the latest posts & hope for the BEST.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz I provide a service,i will help you quit smoking.:laughing7:

Quitters, Inc. by Stephen King.

"Quitters, Inc." is a short story by Stephen King, first published in King's 1978 collection Night Shift.

The main character, Richard "Dick" Morrison, is a middle-aged man who smokes.[1] One day he has a chance meeting with his old college roommate Jim McCann who advises him to go to Quitters, Inc., the firm that he says helped him kick the habit. The firm is said to have a 98% success rate with their clients and guarantees that once the person has enrolled for treatment, he will never smoke again. Dick at first forgets about the referral, but after a month passes and work is going horribly, Dick decides to go to Quitters, Inc. out of curiosity. There he's introduced to a man named Victor Donatti, who will be his quitting counselor. Donatti begins by telling the history of Quitters, Inc., saying it was founded by a New Jersey mob boss who had been a heavy smoker and realized before his death of lung cancer that he must aid others in quitting. Donatti says they are serious in their desire to help others be cured of tobacco addiction, despite their shady history. The following day, Donatti states to Morrison that they have found out all the relevant information about his family, which shocks Morrison, in particular the information about his mentally impaired son.

Dick is first told of what will happen; that for the first twelve months he will have round-the-clock surveillance on him at all times to ensure he is not smoking, with the watchers immediately reporting back to Donatti if they see Morrison smoking. After a second twelve months, the surveillance would be reduced to 18 hours a day, but you will never know which eighteen. After one year of being in Quitters, Inc. from then on, Morrison's surveillance would be reduced to random surveillance checks for the remainder of his life. Dick then finds out about the brutal enforcement methods used by Quitters, Inc. from Donatti. These include administering non-fatal electric shocks of increasing intensity to his wife if he is caught smoking a cigarette and a second infraction would put Morrison in the shock room. A fourth infraction would involve beatings being administered to his son, and subsequent infractions would result in more trips to the shock room with higher voltage, and more painful beatings of his son and wife. Donatti also reveals that after the ninth infraction, his son's arms would be broken. Finally, if Dick commits a tenth infraction, Donatti says, placing a gun on his desk, Dick would become part of "the unregenerate two percent". "But even the unregenerate 2% never smoke again. We guarantee it."

With some difficulty, Dick is able to quit, after only one slip, which results in his wife Cindy being abducted and shocked. Dick, however, now must deal with other aspects of the firm's strict methods, this being that Dick has gained weight and that is an issue Quitters, Inc. deals with as well. Donatti uses the Mafia connections to obtain some prohibited diet pills for Dick, and sets a target weight for him to adhere to. Should Dick stray from this goal, then his wife's right pinky finger will be cut off. Morrison faithfully exercises and keeps in shape, also giving the Quitters Inc. business card to a barfly with a smoking addiction, echoing what Jim McCann did to Morrison at the start of the story. The story ends where Dick and Cindy have a chance meeting with the McCann's, and Dick learns that Jim McCann had drifted from the weight standards of Quitters, Inc. as his wife is missing her pinky finger.

Man I forgot about that Movie , Kinda like Creep-Show, or Twilight Zone The Movie.
I'd love to watch all these over a night or 2.

"Quitters" method did work tho. lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello T-net, just wanted to update this thread on my 4 year anniversary of quitting smoking.
Still hang out with smokers but never get a temptation at all.
No one has to respond here to this old topic, I just wanted to add my status after 4 years.
Blessings to anyone who is trying to quit....Whether they succeed or not!
Blessings also to those who make an effort to help smokers who are trying to quit. :thumbsup:
Hope everyone has a great summer.
Cheers,
Dave.

Great !
Glad you made it ; VERY! ; I wish Tommybuckets the best as well.

Ill let y'all know if I ever have the Kahunas to Quit, one good thing , it will be 15 years on Sept 12 since I had my last Drink.
If I had kept drinking , I 90% might not still be alive.

I Wish everyone battling any addiction the best . & From this Davers to the OP Dave WTGGGGGGGGOOOOOO!!!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear guy... proud of ya! If ya ever get to the U.S. and TN. stop on by buddy! Brad

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
First understand not everyone is addicted equally. Some can walk away from most drugs that others can't.
Learn to HATE the habit. Not in a rationally intellectually way but a killer emotional way.
You don't need list of reasons to quit as much as raw hate of the enemy that's trying to kill you. Cheating you of life.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woke up this afternoon & my lungs feel like exhaust pipes , (I know the feeling will pass or ill get used to it ).

Was thinking about life W/O cig's ; It would not be so bad , if I could cut back , i'd be happy at this point .

I really wanna try ,I do plan on checking out the Vape shop, just getting out of the house is the hard part, i'm surprised I find any relics. ( by not leaving home ).

Just wanted to say this as depression & addiction go hand in hand , I DO WANT TO QUIT! , ....How Bad ?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Woke up this afternoon & my lungs feel like exhaust pipes , (I know the feeling will pass or ill get used to it ).

Was thinking about life W/O cig's ; It would not be so bad , if I could cut back , i'd be happy at this point .

I really wanna try ,I do plan on checking out the Vape shop, just getting out of the house is the hard part, i'm surprised I find any relics. ( by not leaving home ).

Just wanted to say this as depression & addiction go hand in hand , I DO WANT TO QUIT! , ....How Bad ?

To understand addiction, you need to know that your body REQUIRES an amount of what ever drug is wanted. Cutting back is fooling yourself. Even if you managed to cut back for awhile your system will get back to what it wants. Forget about cutting back.
The depression you speak of might be more to do with what your going through physically.

What many don't talk about is how tobacco is a near perfect drug. Tobacco can wake you up when tired, help concentration, also relax you, end being nervous, in other words it's wonderful. It's a multi-purpose drug. Then there's the down side....IT kills people. Some have said quitting heroin was easier.
Some are cursed with an additive personality. That fact can be used for other things like centering a focus to quit an addiction.
Some have used exercise, diet changes, outdoor activities to help. Notice how these activities have a lot to do with feeling better.

Cutting back and vape shop are all about keeping the addiction. Quitting is hard. Understand you'll always be an addict. Even years from now you might find yourself reaching for an empty pocket for a cig. Don't worry. Fairly normal and worth a laugh when this is all over.
A group of others can help. It reinforces your commitment. Don't be discouraged by those that just walked away from their addiction. We are not all equal in this problem.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Vaping was a game changer for me in stopping, and it was also that way for a friend who had been told he couldn't do it. In the end of vaping, I ran zero nicotine for a period. Just hand to mouth. It wasn't hard.

Begin at 12mg level, then cut the mix to half. You'll soon get to zero. jm2c

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread