Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Like Tree393Likes

Thread: I quit!!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6242 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Red James Cash View Post
    Muddyhandz I provide a service,i will help you quit smoking.

Quitters, Inc. by Stephen King.

"Quitters, Inc." is a short story by Stephen King, first published in King's 1978 collection Night Shift.

The main character, Richard "Dick" Morrison, is a middle-aged man who smokes.[1] One day he has a chance meeting with his old college roommate Jim McCann who advises him to go to Quitters, Inc., the firm that he says helped him kick the habit. The firm is said to have a 98% success rate with their clients and guarantees that once the person has enrolled for treatment, he will never smoke again. Dick at first forgets about the referral, but after a month passes and work is going horribly, Dick decides to go to Quitters, Inc. out of curiosity. There he's introduced to a man named Victor Donatti, who will be his quitting counselor. Donatti begins by telling the history of Quitters, Inc., saying it was founded by a New Jersey mob boss who had been a heavy smoker and realized before his death of lung cancer that he must aid others in quitting. Donatti says they are serious in their desire to help others be cured of tobacco addiction, despite their shady history. The following day, Donatti states to Morrison that they have found out all the relevant information about his family, which shocks Morrison, in particular the information about his mentally impaired son.

Dick is first told of what will happen; that for the first twelve months he will have round-the-clock surveillance on him at all times to ensure he is not smoking, with the watchers immediately reporting back to Donatti if they see Morrison smoking. After a second twelve months, the surveillance would be reduced to 18 hours a day, but you will never know which eighteen. After one year of being in Quitters, Inc. from then on, Morrison's surveillance would be reduced to random surveillance checks for the remainder of his life. Dick then finds out about the brutal enforcement methods used by Quitters, Inc. from Donatti. These include administering non-fatal electric shocks of increasing intensity to his wife if he is caught smoking a cigarette and a second infraction would put Morrison in the shock room. A fourth infraction would involve beatings being administered to his son, and subsequent infractions would result in more trips to the shock room with higher voltage, and more painful beatings of his son and wife. Donatti also reveals that after the ninth infraction, his son's arms would be broken. Finally, if Dick commits a tenth infraction, Donatti says, placing a gun on his desk, Dick would become part of "the unregenerate two percent". "But even the unregenerate 2% never smoke again. We guarantee it."

With some difficulty, Dick is able to quit, after only one slip, which results in his wife Cindy being abducted and shocked. Dick, however, now must deal with other aspects of the firm's strict methods, this being that Dick has gained weight and that is an issue Quitters, Inc. deals with as well. Donatti uses the Mafia connections to obtain some prohibited diet pills for Dick, and sets a target weight for him to adhere to. Should Dick stray from this goal, then his wife's right pinky finger will be cut off. Morrison faithfully exercises and keeps in shape, also giving the Quitters Inc. business card to a barfly with a smoking addiction, echoing what Jim McCann did to Morrison at the start of the story. The story ends where Dick and Cindy have a chance meeting with the McCann's, and Dick learns that Jim McCann had drifted from the weight standards of Quitters, Inc. as his wife is missing her pinky finger.
    Man I forgot about that Movie , Kinda like Creep-Show, or Twilight Zone The Movie.
    I'd love to watch all these over a night or 2.

"Quitters" method did work tho. lol
    Muddyhandz and Rebel - KGC like this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6242 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddyhandz View Post
    Hello T-net, just wanted to update this thread on my 4 year anniversary of quitting smoking.
    Still hang out with smokers but never get a temptation at all.
    No one has to respond here to this old topic, I just wanted to add my status after 4 years.
    Blessings to anyone who is trying to quit....Whether they succeed or not!
    Blessings also to those who make an effort to help smokers who are trying to quit.
    Hope everyone has a great summer.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    Great !
    Glad you made it ; VERY! ; I wish Tommybuckets the best as well.

Ill let y'all know if I ever have the Kahunas to Quit, one good thing , it will be 15 years on Sept 12 since I had my last Drink.
    If I had kept drinking , I 90% might not still be alive.

I Wish everyone battling any addiction the best . & From this Davers to the OP Dave WTGGGGGGGGOOOOOO!!!!
    Muddyhandz and Rebel - KGC like this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

Davers

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    White XLT Spectrum E-Series
    6270 times
    Metal Detecting
    Glad to hear guy... proud of ya! If ya ever get to the U.S. and TN. stop on by buddy! Brad
    Muddyhandz likes this.
    I am a true blue Patriot who believes in the original Constitution's meaning. I'll bleed blood to defend it and resist those who want to diminish or alter its meaning or those rights stated within the Constitution.

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    1715 times
    First understand not everyone is addicted equally. Some can walk away from most drugs that others can't.
    Learn to HATE the habit. Not in a rationally intellectually way but a killer emotional way.
    You don't need list of reasons to quit as much as raw hate of the enemy that's trying to kill you. Cheating you of life.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    Chop wood..Carry water

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    6242 times
    Woke up this afternoon & my lungs feel like exhaust pipes , (I know the feeling will pass or ill get used to it ).

Was thinking about life W/O cig's ; It would not be so bad , if I could cut back , i'd be happy at this point .

I really wanna try ,I do plan on checking out the Vape shop, just getting out of the house is the hard part, i'm surprised I find any relics. ( by not leaving home ).

Just wanted to say this as depression & addiction go hand in hand , I DO WANT TO QUIT! , ....How Bad ?

Davers

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    1715 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Davers View Post
    Woke up this afternoon & my lungs feel like exhaust pipes , (I know the feeling will pass or ill get used to it ).

Was thinking about life W/O cig's ; It would not be so bad , if I could cut back , i'd be happy at this point .

I really wanna try ,I do plan on checking out the Vape shop, just getting out of the house is the hard part, i'm surprised I find any relics. ( by not leaving home ).

Just wanted to say this as depression & addiction go hand in hand , I DO WANT TO QUIT! , ....How Bad ?

To understand addiction, you need to know that your body REQUIRES an amount of what ever drug is wanted. Cutting back is fooling yourself. Even if you managed to cut back for awhile your system will get back to what it wants. Forget about cutting back.
    The depression you speak of might be more to do with what your going through physically.

What many don't talk about is how tobacco is a near perfect drug. Tobacco can wake you up when tired, help concentration, also relax you, end being nervous, in other words it's wonderful. It's a multi-purpose drug. Then there's the down side....IT kills people. Some have said quitting heroin was easier.
    Some are cursed with an additive personality. That fact can be used for other things like centering a focus to quit an addiction.
    Some have used exercise, diet changes, outdoor activities to help. Notice how these activities have a lot to do with feeling better.

Cutting back and vape shop are all about keeping the addiction. Quitting is hard. Understand you'll always be an addict. Even years from now you might find yourself reaching for an empty pocket for a cig. Don't worry. Fairly normal and worth a laugh when this is all over.
    A group of others can help. It reinforces your commitment. Don't be discouraged by those that just walked away from their addiction. We are not all equal in this problem.
    Chop wood..Carry water

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    26203 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Good post
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Jul 2010
    330 times
    Vaping was a game changer for me in stopping, and it was also that way for a friend who had been told he couldn't do it. In the end of vaping, I ran zero nicotine for a period. Just hand to mouth. It wasn't hard.

Begin at 12mg level, then cut the mix to half. You'll soon get to zero. jm2c
    Last edited by McKinney_5900; Oct 02, 2018 at 07:28 PM.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Sponsored Links