Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree393Likes

Thread: I quit!!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    2219 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I dipped tobacco for about 35 years. My wife nagged me for 10. So I quit for a few months and started again. But I renewed my nerve and tried again. This time I tried nic gum and patches, no cigars, and flat out willpower! I have found that I am very weak when exposed to chocolate, and eat what I find. But I haven't dipped in about 6 years now.

Not saying I don't want to, or that I don't feel like taking it out of someone's mouth and claiming it as my own occasionally, but my willpower and resolve gets stronger all the time. The trick is to prepare yourself, and stand by your decision!

But when having a beer with my friends ? It is reeeeeaaaly hard.
    Thomas Paine-
    "Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil," Paine wrote, and "in its worst state an intolerable one." Like many Americans today, Paine believed that government added insult to injury by using tax dollars in ways that were actually harmful to the public. "When we suffer," wrote Paine, "or are exposed to the same miseries by a government which we might expect in a country without government, our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer." To Paine, "securing freedom and property to all men, and, above all things, freedom of religion," were the only legitimate functions of government. Americans generally agreed, and went to war to achieve this vision.
    http://mises.org/freemarket_detail.aspx?control=233

"People whose lives are barren and insecure seem to show a greater willingness to obey than people who are self-sufficient and self-confident. To the frustrated, freedom from responsibility is more attractive than freedom from restraint. They are eager to barter their independence for relief of the burdens of willing, deciding and being responsible for inevitable failure. They willingly abdicate the directing of their lives to those who want to plan, command and shoulder all responsibility." ~Eric Hoffer “The True Believer”

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2989 times
    I quit with Chantix. I smoked for many years and was smoking 2 packs a day and sometimes more. I don't miss it a bit and it sure saves me money!! Best to you, you're the only one that can keep that butt out of your mouth. You gotta quit long enough to get over the hump. then it's downhill from there.
    Muddyhandz likes this.
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

ca
    Upper Fort Garry

Jul 2012
    In da bush
    Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
    1754 times
    Living for the hunt!
    Wow! I want to address every post.......they're all so good!
    This has become my very own self-help book that I'll come back to often. Lots here to absorb.
    You all just gave me an ace in the hole. I'm gonna make it through.
    This is a great forum!
    Thanks a lot and bless you all.
    A metal detector can only do so much..........
    It's up to you to do the rest!

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7952 times
    The Truth
    Muddyhandz I provide a service,i will help you quit smoking.

Quitters, Inc. by Stephen King.

"Quitters, Inc." is a short story by Stephen King, first published in King's 1978 collection Night Shift.

The main character, Richard "Dick" Morrison, is a middle-aged man who smokes.[1] One day he has a chance meeting with his old college roommate Jim McCann who advises him to go to Quitters, Inc., the firm that he says helped him kick the habit. The firm is said to have a 98% success rate with their clients and guarantees that once the person has enrolled for treatment, he will never smoke again. Dick at first forgets about the referral, but after a month passes and work is going horribly, Dick decides to go to Quitters, Inc. out of curiosity. There he's introduced to a man named Victor Donatti, who will be his quitting counselor. Donatti begins by telling the history of Quitters, Inc., saying it was founded by a New Jersey mob boss who had been a heavy smoker and realized before his death of lung cancer that he must aid others in quitting. Donatti says they are serious in their desire to help others be cured of tobacco addiction, despite their shady history. The following day, Donatti states to Morrison that they have found out all the relevant information about his family, which shocks Morrison, in particular the information about his mentally impaired son.

Dick is first told of what will happen; that for the first twelve months he will have round-the-clock surveillance on him at all times to ensure he is not smoking, with the watchers immediately reporting back to Donatti if they see Morrison smoking. After a second twelve months, the surveillance would be reduced to 18 hours a day, but you will never know which eighteen. After one year of being in Quitters, Inc. from then on, Morrison's surveillance would be reduced to random surveillance checks for the remainder of his life. Dick then finds out about the brutal enforcement methods used by Quitters, Inc. from Donatti. These include administering non-fatal electric shocks of increasing intensity to his wife if he is caught smoking a cigarette and a second infraction would put Morrison in the shock room. A fourth infraction would involve beatings being administered to his son, and subsequent infractions would result in more trips to the shock room with higher voltage, and more painful beatings of his son and wife. Donatti also reveals that after the ninth infraction, his son's arms would be broken. Finally, if Dick commits a tenth infraction, Donatti says, placing a gun on his desk, Dick would become part of "the unregenerate two percent". "But even the unregenerate 2% never smoke again. We guarantee it."

With some difficulty, Dick is able to quit, after only one slip, which results in his wife Cindy being abducted and shocked. Dick, however, now must deal with other aspects of the firm's strict methods, this being that Dick has gained weight and that is an issue Quitters, Inc. deals with as well. Donatti uses the Mafia connections to obtain some prohibited diet pills for Dick, and sets a target weight for him to adhere to. Should Dick stray from this goal, then his wife's right pinky finger will be cut off. Morrison faithfully exercises and keeps in shape, also giving the Quitters Inc. business card to a barfly with a smoking addiction, echoing what Jim McCann did to Morrison at the start of the story. The story ends where Dick and Cindy have a chance meeting with the McCann's, and Dick learns that Jim McCann had drifted from the weight standards of Quitters, Inc. as his wife is missing her pinky finger.
    Muddyhandz and Davers like this.

us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    2219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Red James cash View Post
    Muddyhandz I provide a service,i will help you quit smoking.

Quitters, Inc. by Stephen King.

"Quitters, Inc." is a short story by Stephen King, first published in King's 1978 collection Night Shift.

The main character, Richard "Dick" Morrison, is a middle-aged man who smokes.[1] One day he has a chance meeting with his old college roommate Jim McCann who advises him to go to Quitters, Inc., the firm that he says helped him kick the habit. The firm is said to have a 98% success rate with their clients and guarantees that once the person has enrolled for treatment, he will never smoke again. Dick at first forgets about the referral, but after a month passes and work is going horribly, Dick decides to go to Quitters, Inc. out of curiosity. There he's introduced to a man named Victor Donatti, who will be his quitting counselor. Donatti begins by telling the history of Quitters, Inc., saying it was founded by a New Jersey mob boss who had been a heavy smoker and realized before his death of lung cancer that he must aid others in quitting. Donatti says they are serious in their desire to help others be cured of tobacco addiction, despite their shady history. The following day, Donatti states to Morrison that they have found out all the relevant information about his family, which shocks Morrison, in particular the information about his mentally impaired son.

Dick is first told of what will happen; that for the first twelve months he will have round-the-clock surveillance on him at all times to ensure he is not smoking, with the watchers immediately reporting back to Donatti if they see Morrison smoking. After a second twelve months, the surveillance would be reduced to 18 hours a day, but you will never know which eighteen. After one year of being in Quitters, Inc. from then on, Morrison's surveillance would be reduced to random surveillance checks for the remainder of his life. Dick then finds out about the brutal enforcement methods used by Quitters, Inc. from Donatti. These include administering non-fatal electric shocks of increasing intensity to his wife if he is caught smoking a cigarette and a second infraction would put Morrison in the shock room. A fourth infraction would involve beatings being administered to his son, and subsequent infractions would result in more trips to the shock room with higher voltage, and more painful beatings of his son and wife. Donatti also reveals that after the ninth infraction, his son's arms would be broken. Finally, if Dick commits a tenth infraction, Donatti says, placing a gun on his desk, Dick would become part of "the unregenerate two percent". "But even the unregenerate 2% never smoke again. We guarantee it."

With some difficulty, Dick is able to quit, after only one slip, which results in his wife Cindy being abducted and shocked. Dick, however, now must deal with other aspects of the firm's strict methods, this being that Dick has gained weight and that is an issue Quitters, Inc. deals with as well. Donatti uses the Mafia connections to obtain some prohibited diet pills for Dick, and sets a target weight for him to adhere to. Should Dick stray from this goal, then his wife's right pinky finger will be cut off. Morrison faithfully exercises and keeps in shape, also giving the Quitters Inc. business card to a barfly with a smoking addiction, echoing what Jim McCann did to Morrison at the start of the story. The story ends where Dick and Cindy have a chance meeting with the McCann's, and Dick learns that Jim McCann had drifted from the weight standards of Quitters, Inc. as his wife is missing her pinky finger.
    I remember that one! Back when King was a great writer! Sad that he is trying to go back to obscurity by writing so so magazine articles?.
    Thomas Paine-
    "Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil," Paine wrote, and "in its worst state an intolerable one." Like many Americans today, Paine believed that government added insult to injury by using tax dollars in ways that were actually harmful to the public. "When we suffer," wrote Paine, "or are exposed to the same miseries by a government which we might expect in a country without government, our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer." To Paine, "securing freedom and property to all men, and, above all things, freedom of religion," were the only legitimate functions of government. Americans generally agreed, and went to war to achieve this vision.
    http://mises.org/freemarket_detail.aspx?control=233

"People whose lives are barren and insecure seem to show a greater willingness to obey than people who are self-sufficient and self-confident. To the frustrated, freedom from responsibility is more attractive than freedom from restraint. They are eager to barter their independence for relief of the burdens of willing, deciding and being responsible for inevitable failure. They willingly abdicate the directing of their lives to those who want to plan, command and shoulder all responsibility." ~Eric Hoffer “The True Believer”

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

us
    Jul 2010
    330 times
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    Do things where you can't smoke. Put yourself in non smoking places/situations.

Go waaaay out camping for a few days, no access to cigarettes.

Stay away from people and places were smoking is prevalent.

It's tough- don't believe anything different. It was the hardest thing I ever did.

My wife (bless her heart) wanted to light a carton of cigarettes and shove them down my throat.

In 5 years your lungs will heal.

It will be the best thing you ever did for yourself.

It will take years for the desire to completely go away- but you can choose to ignore the desire.

I wish you the best of luck. You are going down a path a lot of us have already traveled down- were proof that it CAN BE DONE!
    I never had to avoid places or people where smoking was a past influence with my electronic cigarettes. Pool halls, girlfriends...never places I quit going to.

I read a long time ago to never try stopping any habit by saying that I CAN'T have whatever it is. Purposely not going to my old spots and friendly people woulda sent me to lighting up for sure real quick.

It is human nature to desire what we say to ourselves is forbidden. I do support most of the other things you said though.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    White XLT Spectrum E-Series
    6270 times
    Metal Detecting
    Day 3... You know what I think through my PM to you. And I meant EVERY WORD. Everybody here is trying to help you and I promise sense this is a "human interest" thread it will be reviewed daily by all. Don't let us down. By using your thread hopefully your inner will power will not let you down. You now have a bunch of internet friends "watching" you. If this was your goal by posting.... mission accomplished guy!!! Please report each day and know we'll be expecting to hear about your progress on this endeavor (I will). Putting your will power on public display gives you something to really shoot for and for us (me) to hold you too. Sounds hard core.... but it's a path and tool YOU developed... Now use it and double down guy. Best wishes buddy. There's a bunch of folks pulling for you!!!!!
    Muddyhandz and Davers like this.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    6270 times
    Metal Detecting
    I believe "will power" is similar to a pain threshold. Everyone's is somewhere on the "scale"... da. Some folk's are higher and some are lower. For you to post what you did I suggest you set an example for all of those who wish to follow. Still going strong guy

ca
    Upper Fort Garry

Jul 2012
    In da bush
    1754 times
    Living for the hunt!
    Day four!!!!

Here's my honest update.....
    I smoked my last cigarette (from my last pack) on Wednesday night at 10 p.m.
    24 hours later, I caved and borrowed one smoke. It made me light-headed and wasn't all that great.
    Friday....not one!
    Saturday....not one!
    Now it's Sunday and I really don't feel that bad. Cravings are still there but I actually feel like I can kick this habit for good!
    Thanks for the support! The P.M.'s help a lot. I don't feel alone thanks to you all.
    I'll keep you posted.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    Limitool, releventchair and Davers like this.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    6270 times
    Metal Detecting
    Good for you guy.... PLEASE hang tough and report each day with an honest REPORT!!!!! No more bumming.... Your doing great... Best wishes, Brad
    Muddyhandz likes this.

Jun 2014
    cartersville, GA.
    63 times
    Prospecting
    get a straw or plastic coffee stirrers whenever you desire to smoke. candy really helps too. especially cinnamon or peppermint.
    Muddyhandz and diggummup like this.

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7952 times
    The Truth
    Just keep your mind occupied Muddy.I quit for a couple of weeks or so while I had pneumonia.I use to play hockey twice a week back then,you get your wind back pretty quick.Use to be able to only stay out for 5 minutes or so,after not smoking for a week or two I could almost stay out 10 -15 minutes no problem.
    Muddyhandz likes this.

us
    Jun 2014
    Vermont
    Garrett AT Pro
    29 times
    You're coming out of the woods! Keep it up! You have this beat!

Just wait until you see how great food tastes without all that crap messing up your taste buds.
    Just wait until you can actually feel you are getting more oxygen with every breath.
    Just wait until that first day when you realize you don't have a smoker's cough anymore.

Get ready to buy some new clothes, because in another week or so you won't be able to stand the smell of your closet!
    Muddyhandz and Limitool like this.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    6270 times
    Metal Detecting
    Day 5.... So how did you do (I know still sucks)? But did ya make it without bumming or buying?

ca
    Upper Fort Garry

Jul 2012
    In da bush
    1754 times
    Living for the hunt!
    Day five....I'm still alive!
    Still smoke free.
    The mornings are the toughest. It seems when I wake up I feel empty and hopeless.
    After I have two huge cups of strong coffee and come here, I feel better.
    I'm still shocked that the coffee doesn't increase my desire to smoke like the old days.
    I guess it's all about feeling that I still have something. An hour after coffee, I'll probably be chewing gum.
    No weight gain yet. In fact, I'm not really indulging that much on anything more than usual.
    Lots of stressful things have come up making we wonder why I ever chose this time to quit.
    I do know that these circumstances are tests that will end up making me stronger in the long run.
    Thanks for the support! I will come here each day and update until everyone gets sick of me!
    Have a great day!
    packerbacker likes this.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links