I quit!!!!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Do things where you can't smoke. Put yourself in non smoking places/situations.

Go waaaay out camping for a few days, no access to cigarettes.

Stay away from people and places were smoking is prevalent.

It's tough- don't believe anything different. It was the hardest thing I ever did.

My wife (bless her heart) wanted to light a carton of cigarettes and shove them down my throat.

In 5 years your lungs will heal.

It will be the best thing you ever did for yourself.

It will take years for the desire to completely go away- but you can choose to ignore the desire.

I wish you the best of luck. You are going down a path a lot of us have already traveled down- were proof that it CAN BE DONE!

I never had to avoid places or people where smoking was a past influence with my electronic cigarettes. Pool halls, girlfriends...never places I quit going to.

I read a long time ago to never try stopping any habit by saying that I CAN'T have whatever it is. Purposely not going to my old spots and friendly people woulda sent me to lighting up for sure real quick.

It is human nature to desire what we say to ourselves is forbidden. I do support most of the other things you said though.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Day 3... You know what I think through my PM to you. And I meant EVERY WORD. Everybody here is trying to help you and I promise sense this is a "human interest" thread it will be reviewed daily by all. Don't let us down. By using your thread hopefully your inner will power will not let you down. You now have a bunch of internet friends "watching" you. If this was your goal by posting.... mission accomplished guy!!! Please report each day and know we'll be expecting to hear about your progress on this endeavor (I will). Putting your will power on public display gives you something to really shoot for and for us (me) to hold you too. Sounds hard core.... but it's a path and tool YOU developed... Now use it and double down guy. Best wishes buddy. There's a bunch of folks pulling for you!!!!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe "will power" is similar to a pain threshold. Everyone's is somewhere on the "scale"... da. Some folk's are higher and some are lower. For you to post what you did I suggest you set an example for all of those who wish to follow. Still going strong guy?????????

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day four!!!! :hello2:

Here's my honest update.....
I smoked my last cigarette (from my last pack) on Wednesday night at 10 p.m.
24 hours later, I caved and borrowed one smoke. It made me light-headed and wasn't all that great.
Friday....not one!
Saturday....not one!
Now it's Sunday and I really don't feel that bad. Cravings are still there but I actually feel like I can kick this habit for good!
Thanks for the support! The P.M.'s help a lot. I don't feel alone thanks to you all.
I'll keep you posted.
Cheers,
Dave.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good for you guy.... PLEASE hang tough and report each day with an honest REPORT!!!!! No more bumming.... Your doing great... Best wishes, Brad

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just keep your mind occupied Muddy.I quit for a couple of weeks or so while I had pneumonia.I use to play hockey twice a week back then,you get your wind back pretty quick.Use to be able to only stay out for 5 minutes or so,after not smoking for a week or two I could almost stay out 10 -15 minutes no problem.

DavidGC

Jun 25, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're coming out of the woods! Keep it up! You have this beat!

Just wait until you see how great food tastes without all that crap messing up your taste buds.
Just wait until you can actually feel you are getting more oxygen with every breath.
Just wait until that first day when you realize you don't have a smoker's cough anymore.

Get ready to buy some new clothes, because in another week or so you won't be able to stand the smell of your closet!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Day 5.... So how did you do (I know still sucks)? But did ya make it without bumming or buying?

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day five....I'm still alive! :laughing7:
Still smoke free.
The mornings are the toughest. It seems when I wake up I feel empty and hopeless.
After I have two huge cups of strong coffee and come here, I feel better.
I'm still shocked that the coffee doesn't increase my desire to smoke like the old days.
I guess it's all about feeling that I still have something. An hour after coffee, I'll probably be chewing gum.
No weight gain yet. In fact, I'm not really indulging that much on anything more than usual.
Lots of stressful things have come up making we wonder why I ever chose this time to quit.
I do know that these circumstances are tests that will end up making me stronger in the long run.
Thanks for the support! I will come here each day and update until everyone gets sick of me!
Have a great day!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good man! I feel like that before coffee all the time. Or even worse. l.o.l..:coffee2::coffee2:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Day five....I'm still alive! :laughing7:
Still smoke free.
The mornings are the toughest. It seems when I wake up I feel empty and hopeless.
After I have two huge cups of strong coffee and come here, I feel better.
I'm still shocked that the coffee doesn't increase my desire to smoke like the old days.
I guess it's all about feeling that I still have something. An hour after coffee, I'll probably be chewing gum.
No weight gain yet. In fact, I'm not really indulging that much on anything more than usual.
Lots of stressful things have come up making we wonder why I ever chose this time to quit.
I do know that these circumstances are tests that will end up making me stronger in the long run.
Thanks for the support! I will come here each day and update until everyone gets sick of me!
Have a great day!

Good for you guy... Let's see ya go 90 DAYS!!!! If your still being a "good boy" your on your own then! Maybe you'll get some others to join you on this thread....??? Maybe you'll be an inspiration to a few others.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hemingway said: "Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it thousands of times."

Blessings to you. I hope you succeed.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have finally worked down to maybe 10 pieces of gum a day. Find one you like, that fits a craving.

But I found out that some of my favorite gums decided not to like me.:BangHead:

My doc said to lay off the Sorbitol. It really has helped, ( by the way, alot of sugarless gum has Sorbitol, and some people don't play well with it).

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, sometimes the options one gets really suck and I had to grit my teeth when buying gum. Not one brand at Shopper's was without aspartame, sorbitol, and all that other crap!
I suppose I could go to the Hippie store and buy a $10 pack (LOL) but I'm not really that upset.
I've really not chewed gum at all most of my life and I have stayed away from diet products too.
So in comparison to the vile tobacco and all its extra chemicals, I'll use the lesser of two evils in order to help break the habit for good.
It's tough for people like me and it took a few years to find a deodorant that did not contain aluminum, parabens, phthalates or propylene glycol and ACTUALLY WORKED!
I pay more than double of most brands but it lasts a long time and is worth it to me. Try finding a toothpaste without fluoride at most stores!
Anyway, DAY 6 and I'm still smoke free! All the cravings I experience are now mental, as the bulk of the crap is out of the bloodstream.
Thoughts enter my mind (about smoking) and a stronger voice counters with a firm NO!
So far I'm winning the battle but I will not lay back feeling victorious quite yet. The enemy will attack again and again. I must fortify my defenses daily!
Thanks my friends for your help!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I managed to get a pick of ol' muddy today. He looks a little shakey! :)
Good job muddy!

Attachments

• cold turkey.jpg
    cold turkey.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 192

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread