Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree393Likes

Thread: I quit!!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    18715 times
    Good man! I feel like that before coffee all the time. Or even worse. l.o.l..
    Muddyhandz likes this.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    White XLT Spectrum E-Series
    6270 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddyhandz View Post
    Day five....I'm still alive!
    Still smoke free.
    The mornings are the toughest. It seems when I wake up I feel empty and hopeless.
    After I have two huge cups of strong coffee and come here, I feel better.
    I'm still shocked that the coffee doesn't increase my desire to smoke like the old days.
    I guess it's all about feeling that I still have something. An hour after coffee, I'll probably be chewing gum.
    No weight gain yet. In fact, I'm not really indulging that much on anything more than usual.
    Lots of stressful things have come up making we wonder why I ever chose this time to quit.
    I do know that these circumstances are tests that will end up making me stronger in the long run.
    Thanks for the support! I will come here each day and update until everyone gets sick of me!
    Have a great day!
    Good for you guy... Let's see ya go 90 DAYS!!!! If your still being a "good boy" your on your own then! Maybe you'll get some others to join you on this thread.... Maybe you'll be an inspiration to a few others.
    Muddyhandz likes this.

us
    Apr 2012
    Tesoro Bandito II, Garrett Ace 250, BH LandStar, Time Rander, Discovery 3000, Tracker IV, Discovery 1000, QuickDrawII, Fisher F2.
    73 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hemingway said: "Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it thousands of times."

Blessings to you. I hope you succeed.
    If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill

us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    2219 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have finally worked down to maybe 10 pieces of gum a day. Find one you like, that fits a craving.

But I found out that some of my favorite gums decided not to like me.

My doc said to lay off the Sorbitol. It really has helped, ( by the way, alot of sugarless gum has Sorbitol, and some people don't play well with it).
    Thomas Paine-
    "Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil," Paine wrote, and "in its worst state an intolerable one." Like many Americans today, Paine believed that government added insult to injury by using tax dollars in ways that were actually harmful to the public. "When we suffer," wrote Paine, "or are exposed to the same miseries by a government which we might expect in a country without government, our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer." To Paine, "securing freedom and property to all men, and, above all things, freedom of religion," were the only legitimate functions of government. Americans generally agreed, and went to war to achieve this vision.
    http://mises.org/freemarket_detail.aspx?control=233

"People whose lives are barren and insecure seem to show a greater willingness to obey than people who are self-sufficient and self-confident. To the frustrated, freedom from responsibility is more attractive than freedom from restraint. They are eager to barter their independence for relief of the burdens of willing, deciding and being responsible for inevitable failure. They willingly abdicate the directing of their lives to those who want to plan, command and shoulder all responsibility." ~Eric Hoffer “The True Believer”

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7952 times
    The Truth
    by the way, alot of sugarless gum has Sorbitol,
    Dont forget that delicious aspartame
    Dave44 and worldtalker like this.

us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    2219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Red James cash View Post
    Dont forget that delicious aspartame
    Ahh yes, Aspertame. I thought I was taking such good care of myself too. Sugar free aint always the best choice!
    Muddyhandz likes this.
    Thomas Paine-
    "Government even in its best state is but a necessary evil," Paine wrote, and "in its worst state an intolerable one." Like many Americans today, Paine believed that government added insult to injury by using tax dollars in ways that were actually harmful to the public. "When we suffer," wrote Paine, "or are exposed to the same miseries by a government which we might expect in a country without government, our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer." To Paine, "securing freedom and property to all men, and, above all things, freedom of religion," were the only legitimate functions of government. Americans generally agreed, and went to war to achieve this vision.
    http://mises.org/freemarket_detail.aspx?control=233

"People whose lives are barren and insecure seem to show a greater willingness to obey than people who are self-sufficient and self-confident. To the frustrated, freedom from responsibility is more attractive than freedom from restraint. They are eager to barter their independence for relief of the burdens of willing, deciding and being responsible for inevitable failure. They willingly abdicate the directing of their lives to those who want to plan, command and shoulder all responsibility." ~Eric Hoffer “The True Believer”

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    7952 times
    The Truth
    Sugar free aint always the best choice!
    Nope it isnt,want real sugar free just get some good ole fashion spruce gum.
    Muddyhandz likes this.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    6270 times
    Metal Detecting
    Day 6.... Hanging tough?

ca
    Upper Fort Garry

Jul 2012
    In da bush
    Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
    1754 times
    Living for the hunt!
    Yeah, sometimes the options one gets really suck and I had to grit my teeth when buying gum. Not one brand at Shopper's was without aspartame, sorbitol, and all that other crap!
    I suppose I could go to the Hippie store and buy a $10 pack (LOL) but I'm not really that upset.
    I've really not chewed gum at all most of my life and I have stayed away from diet products too.
    So in comparison to the vile tobacco and all its extra chemicals, I'll use the lesser of two evils in order to help break the habit for good.
    It's tough for people like me and it took a few years to find a deodorant that did not contain aluminum, parabens, phthalates or propylene glycol and ACTUALLY WORKED!
    I pay more than double of most brands but it lasts a long time and is worth it to me. Try finding a toothpaste without fluoride at most stores!
    Anyway, DAY 6 and I'm still smoke free! All the cravings I experience are now mental, as the bulk of the crap is out of the bloodstream.
    Thoughts enter my mind (about smoking) and a stronger voice counters with a firm NO!
    So far I'm winning the battle but I will not lay back feeling victorious quite yet. The enemy will attack again and again. I must fortify my defenses daily!
    Thanks my friends for your help!
    A metal detector can only do so much..........
    It's up to you to do the rest!

us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2989 times
    I managed to get a pick of ol' muddy today. He looks a little shakey!
    Good job muddy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Limitool and Muddyhandz like this.
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

ca
    May 2014
    Ace 250
    230 times
    Yay, you, you're doing great!

I was an enthusiastic smoker for maybe twenty years; you know how some smokers say they hate smoking and wish they could quit because, well, they really hate it? That wasn't me. I loved smoking. One morning I got up, it was winter, windows closed, house stunk, and I realized I actually was as stupid as people had been telling me I was. After I'd gone about three hours I knew I was going to make it and decided that even if I was facing a firing squad I wouldn't ask for a cigarette. I did get patches, and I always had a drinking straw or something similar to fidget with since I am a nervous fidgeter. I gathered up all the packs around the house (I had lots because I had one in every room, at every table and desk) and put them out of sight but I didn't get rid of them, and I always carried a pack with me when I went out. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, especially since I just finished saying I wouldn't smoke if I was going to be shot, but I didn't want to get into some panicked state and start obsessing about a smoke. I heard about some guy who carried cigarettes for decades after he'd quit, I know for some people that would be a bad idea, but it's a comfort thing, I guess. I did gain weight, which didn't seem fair because, weirdly, I lost my taste for sweets and didn't think I was eating more than I had been. I did develop a real fondness for Vegemite and very flavorful things for a while though so either it's the Vegemite or a trick of metabolism that got me.

Anyway, that was me. The main thing I wanted to say was that YOU - your being, personality, soul, spirit, whatever you want to call it - are bigger and stronger than the pesky individual habits and desires. It sounds like you're figuring that out for yourself so you're on your way. You do have to keep your guard up but I found that the times between urges for a smoke would get longer and longer and each time you resist it gets easier. Again - yay you!
    Muddyhandz likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    7952 times
    The Truth
    Hey muddy get head rushes yet from all the extra oxygen youre intakingGood job by the way
    Limitool and Muddyhandz like this.

Nov 2007
    somewhere between here and there, south of over there but north of that place
    titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
    954 times
    smoked cigarettes for 42 years, have been smoke free and tobacco free for the past 10 years. quit at midnight on New Years 2005 and never looked back. I was a two to three pack a day guy.

I treated the world as a no smoking zone when I decided to quit, beginning with my truck, my home (go figure I'd smoke outside to keep it from stinking) and everywhere else. It was easy during the day because I never smoked in customers homes, the hard part was the lighting up the minute I got in the truck to go somewhere. I set myself up 6 months prior to going cold turkey and it worked.

sheesh, I'd need three jobs to keep up with my habits if I smoked again.

good luck Muddy, and just think of the strides you've already made.
    when you tug on a single thing in nature, you'll find it's connected to the rest of the world. John muir

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    6270 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddyhandz View Post
    Yeah, sometimes the options one gets really suck and I had to grit my teeth when buying gum. Not one brand at Shopper's was without aspartame, sorbitol, and all that other crap!
    I suppose I could go to the Hippie store and buy a $10 pack (LOL) but I'm not really that upset.
    I've really not chewed gum at all most of my life and I have stayed away from diet products too.
    So in comparison to the vile tobacco and all its extra chemicals, I'll use the lesser of two evils in order to help break the habit for good.
    It's tough for people like me and it took a few years to find a deodorant that did not contain aluminum, parabens, phthalates or propylene glycol and ACTUALLY WORKED!
    I pay more than double of most brands but it lasts a long time and is worth it to me. Try finding a toothpaste without fluoride at most stores!
    Anyway, DAY 6 and I'm still smoke free! All the cravings I experience are now mental, as the bulk of the crap is out of the bloodstream.
    Thoughts enter my mind (about smoking) and a stronger voice counters with a firm NO! So far I'm winning the battle but I will not lay back feeling victorious quite yet. The enemy will attack again and again. I must fortify my defenses daily!
    Thanks my friends for your help!
    Come on guy... See all the folks who are behind you...? "So far" sounds weak and / or "I'm going to give in". No negative phases... Hang tough. You may have stresses going on in your life right now (we all do) but battling THIS BATTLE is all mental now.... Hang tough. PLEASE!!!!!!!! Don't you fail NOW.... Use this thread and the accountability that comes with it buddy. Best wishes and encouragement guy.... later, Brad
    Muddyhandz likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    29396 times
    Hang in their Muddy, we know you can do it!!!!!
    Muddyhandz likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links