I quit!!!!

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yay, you, you're doing great!

I was an enthusiastic smoker for maybe twenty years; you know how some smokers say they hate smoking and wish they could quit because, well, they really hate it? That wasn't me. I loved smoking. One morning I got up, it was winter, windows closed, house stunk, and I realized I actually was as stupid as people had been telling me I was. After I'd gone about three hours I knew I was going to make it and decided that even if I was facing a firing squad I wouldn't ask for a cigarette. I did get patches, and I always had a drinking straw or something similar to fidget with since I am a nervous fidgeter. I gathered up all the packs around the house (I had lots because I had one in every room, at every table and desk) and put them out of sight but I didn't get rid of them, and I always carried a pack with me when I went out. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, especially since I just finished saying I wouldn't smoke if I was going to be shot, but I didn't want to get into some panicked state and start obsessing about a smoke. I heard about some guy who carried cigarettes for decades after he'd quit, I know for some people that would be a bad idea, but it's a comfort thing, I guess. I did gain weight, which didn't seem fair because, weirdly, I lost my taste for sweets and didn't think I was eating more than I had been. I did develop a real fondness for Vegemite and very flavorful things for a while though so either it's the Vegemite or a trick of metabolism that got me.

Anyway, that was me. The main thing I wanted to say was that YOU - your being, personality, soul, spirit, whatever you want to call it - are bigger and stronger than the pesky individual habits and desires. It sounds like you're figuring that out for yourself so you're on your way. You do have to keep your guard up but I found that the times between urges for a smoke would get longer and longer and each time you resist it gets easier. Again - yay you! :icon_cheers:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey muddy get head rushes yet from all the extra oxygen youre intaking:laughing9:Good job by the way:icon_thumright:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smoked cigarettes for 42 years, have been smoke free and tobacco free for the past 10 years. quit at midnight on New Years 2005 and never looked back. I was a two to three pack a day guy.

I treated the world as a no smoking zone when I decided to quit, beginning with my truck, my home (go figure I'd smoke outside to keep it from stinking) and everywhere else. It was easy during the day because I never smoked in customers homes, the hard part was the lighting up the minute I got in the truck to go somewhere. I set myself up 6 months prior to going cold turkey and it worked.

sheesh, I'd need three jobs to keep up with my habits if I smoked again.

good luck Muddy, and just think of the strides you've already made.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, sometimes the options one gets really suck and I had to grit my teeth when buying gum. Not one brand at Shopper's was without aspartame, sorbitol, and all that other crap!
I suppose I could go to the Hippie store and buy a $10 pack (LOL) but I'm not really that upset.
I've really not chewed gum at all most of my life and I have stayed away from diet products too.
So in comparison to the vile tobacco and all its extra chemicals, I'll use the lesser of two evils in order to help break the habit for good.
It's tough for people like me and it took a few years to find a deodorant that did not contain aluminum, parabens, phthalates or propylene glycol and ACTUALLY WORKED!
I pay more than double of most brands but it lasts a long time and is worth it to me. Try finding a toothpaste without fluoride at most stores!
Anyway, DAY 6 and I'm still smoke free! All the cravings I experience are now mental, as the bulk of the crap is out of the bloodstream.
Thoughts enter my mind (about smoking) and a stronger voice counters with a firm NO! So far I'm winning the battle but I will not lay back feeling victorious quite yet. The enemy will attack again and again. I must fortify my defenses daily!
Thanks my friends for your help!

Come on guy... See all the folks who are behind you...? "So far" sounds weak and / or "I'm going to give in". No negative phases... Hang tough. You may have stresses going on in your life right now (we all do) but battling THIS BATTLE is all mental now.... Hang tough. PLEASE!!!!!!!! Don't you fail NOW.... Use this thread and the accountability that comes with it buddy. Best wishes and encouragement guy.... later, Brad

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in their Muddy, we know you can do it!!!!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You made it past the worst part. Just don't give in. It only gets easier from here!

I know! Easy for this smoker to say! lol Really though, The first few days were my hardest every time I tried. This thread is making me want to try again! It is nasty stuff!

"Just do It" ... (I should trademark this phrase). Nitric... let's see ya be the first to join him. He's paving the road.

Day 7... right? How "we" doing now...? Stay strong buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can see across the border guy (kinda - As long as you post).

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! :thumbsup:

Brad, I understand using positive affirmations to help me win the battle are beneficial. I said "SO FAR" I'm winning the battle because that's how I honestly feel.
It would be real easy to come on here and make a post showing myself as a strong warrior and in a lot ways I AM rock solid.
But in this battle, I'm the underdog! I wake up with a sinking feeling of depression.....like I lost a best friend.
Although I have lots of support, it feels like the Universe turned its back on me and all kinds of stressful things are coming out of the blue.
I do my best to not feel like a victim and take on all challenges but I could never say that any of this was/is easy.
Yesterday, I tested myself by hanging out with the same friend who gave me a smoke on day 1.
He quickly offered me a cigarette right off the bat and I called him out right in front of his non-smoking wife who really wants him to quit.
I said that a part of him wants me to fail because my actions have struck a chord within his own self. I said that he probably feels pressure to quit because I did it.
He said that he was happy for me (miserably) and that I was right. He looked at his wife and said that she probably will nag at him "See, Dave can quit...why can't you?"
Anyway, I went out with him a couple of times when he wanted a smoke and just smelled the air. I didn't give in and it's now DAY 7.
I woke up this morning feeling like I got hit by a ton of bricks. The last week without smoking took me off my game and I suffered financially. (I'm self-employed.)
Add bad weather and being in love with a new woman and that whole week I felt completely useless. The end of the month came and I was scrambling to pay my bills.
I'm not blaming it on these circumstances....Just saying that I was not my normal self. Today, I need to exercise and then work hard to make some money.
I hit rock bottom and now will start to climb back up the mountain. When I flip the coin over, I see how lucky I am to be in love, to have quit a nasty habit, and that I have many people who care about me.
Sorry for all the drama. I just wanted this to be as honest as possible. That song from Sly and the Family Stone just popped into my head......
"You can make it if you try!" :hello2:
I wanted to leave you all with the simple book that helped me on my way to kicking this habit......

P1120167 (384x640).jpg

Originally published in 1951 when cigarettes cost 25 cents a pack! I'm going to take a few more notes from it and then pass it on to my friend whom I previously mentioned.

I'll leave you with one quote from this book.......

"You have smoked so long you don't know how nice it is NOT to have a smoke."

Blessings to you all.

Dave.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The stresses of life are there with or without a crutch. You seem to have a very strong grasp on reality and that is great.
If we are only as good as our worse day your still doin good. Great days and even ordinary ones are going to balance it all out in your favor anyway. Passing up a smoke puts you fully in charge. Now get to work and make some money. L.o.l..

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave... Good job thus far and many of us are proud of ya for stopping and sharing your struggle. Hope ya stay strong on day 8 and some of your stresses soon find relief. Stay strong guy.... Brad

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day 8 or week 2........

This is how I feel today......

I still expect many jabs and the odd sucker punch but I'm ready for it.

BRING IT ON!!!!

Here's another quote from that book.....

"It isn't that you really enjoy smoking; it is just that you're unhappy without it."

Special thanks to Releventchair and Limitool. :icon_thumright:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Aww Muddyhandz you ol quitter you. Your the one doing it. And you have.:notworthy:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ladies and gentlemen!!! We have a wnna'!! :) wtg muddy!
If you need a little positive influence, figure out how much you would have smoked during this time and add up what it would have cost. Then, no matter the amount, go to the store and buy something that cost that much. I don't care if it's only enough for a fishing lure, buy it and take it home. It will represent progress!! keep it up!
You can also take comfort in knowing the tobacco company won't be able to buy that lure 'cause they won't have your money!!

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well...??? Hope ya have a great day Muddy. Stay strong... we're watching ya!!!

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feeling FINE on day NINE!

Thanks for caring!

Here's a reminder for myself......

I've always spent the energy necessary to keep my promises with everyone but myself.
Given my past experiences, I can no longer afford to let myself down by breaking promises.
I've come too far now to turn back. Failure is not an option.
Time to feel that I'm important enough to honour this promise.
I can't hide from myself!

Happy 4th of July everyone!

:occasion14:

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
f you need a little positive influence, figure out how much you would have smoked during this time and add up what it would have cost. Then, no matter the amount, go to the store and buy something that cost that much. I don't care if it's only enough for a fishing lure, buy it and take it home. It will represent progress!! keep it up!

Yep, this! Buy yourself a treat. 'Quitting smoking' is a special occasion, might as well take advantage of that and get some goodies for yourself while you have the chance. :hello2:

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Dave,

I'm just stopping by my place to freshen up and let my dogs out and thought I'd post something to your thread. I've been spending most of my time as of late at the hospital watching my Grandmother wither away from an advanced form of lung cancer. She probably only has a day or two (could only be a few hours) left until she crosses over into the spirit world. I can't express enough how hard it's been on myself and the family to endure this. Please don't go back to the dark side and stay smoke free my friend. Do it for yourself and your loved one's. Trust me, you don't want to put them through what I'm going through right now....

I'm not looking for any sympathy or am trying to hijack your thread. I just thought that this post will give you some added incentive and more strength to fight on with the battle. Stay strong bud, we all have faith in you!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Feeling FINE on day NINE!

Thanks for caring!

Here's a reminder for myself......

I've always spent the energy necessary to keep my promises with everyone but myself.
Given my past experiences, I can no longer afford to let myself down by breaking promises.
I've come too far now to turn back. Failure is not an option.
Time to feel that I'm important enough to honour this promise.
I can't hide from myself!

Happy 4th of July everyone!

:occasion14:

Good job Muddy.... Your setting a hell of a pace and you sound super strong with your attitude but its gonna be a long race... so please keep posting buddy. And you know breaking your "promise" to others won't be as bad as the one you make to yourself. The thing is we're gonna help you keep the one you made to yourself because you shared this endeavor with us. You are an inspiration guy. Day 10 going good?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Dave,

I'm just stopping by my place to freshen up and let my dogs out and thought I'd post something to your thread. I've been spending most of my time as of late at the hospital watching my Grandmother wither away from an advanced form of lung cancer. She probably only has a day or two (could only be a few hours) left until she crosses over into the spirit world. I can't express enough how hard it's been on myself and the family to endure this. Please don't go back to the dark side and stay smoke free my friend. Do it for yourself and your loved one's. Trust me, you don't want to put them through what I'm going through right now....

I'm not looking for any sympathy or am trying to hijack your thread. I just thought that this post will give you some added incentive and more strength to fight on with the battle. Stay strong bud, we all have faith in you!

I went through the exact same thing with my late father as many of us probably have here at T-net. That's the reason I'm pushing and pulling for this fellow.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Muddy, I just gotta subscribe to this in order to keep track of your fight.

This thread reminds me of the story of the Army jailer we used to have when I was attached to the Gordon Highlanders ( that's another story ha ha) the military manual stated that prisoners were entitled to 2 cigarettes a day but Jimmy couldn't see anywhere that said they were entitled to matches or a lighter so you could always tell how many days they were in jail for.......you just divided the amount of cigarettes they had by 2

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dave,

I feel for you brother! My grandmother died of lung cancer and we all went through the same thing.
Unfortunately, I was in my mid-20's and still had the "invincible" attitude and it never made me stop smoking.
I hope your grandmother (and you & your whole family) find peace.
This January, I lost a friend to lung cancer and she was 58 years old. I swore that I would quit for Carla and even that took half a year before I finally made the effort.
I feel it in my bones......I'm never going back to that habit again! :nono:
11 DAYS SMOKE FREE!!!!
I still have quite a few cravings (sent from the dark side) but they are no match for my new found Jedi powers!
Thanks again for all the support my friends!
Best wishes,
Dave.

P.S. "If you only hold out for a moment, that sudden strong temptation will die almost as quickly as it arose."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread