Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Muddy,

Put the money you would have spent on cigarettes in a jar and see how cool it is after a few more weeks to be able to afford any metal detector you want, or even a holiday or something equally good.

Good idea Kevin.... And Muddy when the jar is full I'll PM you an address so you can send to me. I don't want you worrying about what to do with that money. You just keep working on quitting. If there's enough Kevin I'll throw ya a bone!!!!! NOTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He he... no money in a jar...it's already spent! :laughing7:
I've had a new girlfriend for two months now and I knew I couldn't afford to smoke and have a G.F. at the same time, so I got rid of the cigarettes!
She's from another country and has only been in Canada for a year and a half and has not seen this beautiful place.
Lately, I've been filling up the tank with (expensive) gas and have been taking her to some great nature spots.
Hmmn, what would I rather have for a life long partner.....A beautiful, loving woman OR these overpriced, gross, brown cancer sticks? :dontknow:
DUH!
Thanks everyone for the great posts! Day 16 and I do not smoke! :icon_thumright:

Before I quit, I was trying to ween my consumption down but that actually caused me more stress. Then I came across this in that book and agree.....
The reduction method is very nearly as futile; The trouble with this method is that it is almost more trouble than smoking is; you find yourself looking at the clock (time for another yet?), or counting the cigarettes in your pack (how many left for today?), or worrying whether you should smoke now or save one for after lunch, and so on.
Often some unseen event (or emergency) throws all of this off and it becomes harder to start the weening process again. The bookkeeping becomes tiresome also.

This totally was my experience and found myself constantly looking at the clock. Then Saturday came and I was only allowed 8 cigarettes. By dinner, 6 were already gone and then then I was meeting a with a bunch of buddies for drinks. Imagine partying the whole evening with only two smokes? :BangHead: That was the end of that method!
Nope, with my addictive personality it's either ALL or NOTHING.
Nothing seems to be working good for me now!
:hello2:
Have a great weekend everyone!
Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, this. I don't think we want to make anyone feel like a failure if they try to quit and, um, fail, or that there's a bunch of mean posters waiting to mock them mercilessly. It's just that some of us have had experience with this. Strangely, I never turned into a rabid anti-smoker when I quit so I'm not judgmental about smokers, but if someone wants to quit, it's nice to see them succeed. The practice at quitting is to be applauded, at least. Of course, Muddyhandz! - I do expect you to keep on excelling! (Just think of the $$$! if nothing else.) One day at a time is the way to go.

Refrain tonight,
And that shall lend a kind of easiness
To the next abstinence, the next more easy.

- Hamlet. (Granted he wasn't talking about smoking, but still...)

Thank you for all your support! :thumbsup:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
He he... no money in a jar...it's already spent! :laughing7: I've had a new girlfriend for two months now and I knew I couldn't afford to smoke and have a G.F. at the same time, so I got rid of the cigarettes! She's from another country and has only been in Canada for a year and a half and has not seen this beautiful place. Lately, I've been filling up the tank with (expensive) gas and have been taking her to some great nature spots. Hmmn, what would I rather have for a life long partner.....A beautiful, loving woman OR these overpriced, gross, brown cancer sticks? :dontknow: DUH! Thanks everyone for the great posts! Day 16 and I do not smoke! :icon_thumright: Before I quit, I was trying to ween my consumption down but that actually caused me more stress. Then I came across this in that book and agree..... The reduction method is very nearly as futile; The trouble with this method is that it is almost more trouble than smoking is; you find yourself looking at the clock (time for another yet?), or counting the cigarettes in your pack (how many left for today?), or worrying whether you should smoke now or save one for after lunch, and so on. Often some unseen event (or emergency) throws all of this off and it becomes harder to start the weening process again. The bookkeeping becomes tiresome also. This totally was my experience and found myself constantly looking at the clock. Then Saturday came and I was only allowed 8 cigarettes. By dinner, 6 were already gone and then then I was meeting a with a bunch of buddies for drinks. Imagine partying the whole evening with only two smokes? :BangHead: That was the end of that method! Nope, with my addictive personality it's either ALL or NOTHING. Nothing seems to be working good for me now! :hello2: Have a great weekend everyone! Cheers, Dave.

The reduction method sounds like a teenage daughter being nearly pregnant.........a nightmare at best.

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reduction thing definitely wouldn't have worked for me, I hate being teased. Either gimme or get out. And anyway, there's a sort of heroism about saying 'I QUIT!' and that's it. You mean business! You don't do things in a meagerly, timid way! Being 'weaned off' just doesn't have the same drama. :headbang:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Nope, with my addictive personality it's either ALL or NOTHING. Nothing seems to be working good for me now!"

Muddy... if everything you've post is true and I believe it is... than absolutely the realm of possibly is that YOU WILL QUIT and you'll stay that way. You seem a very strong mentally individual. If I'm right then stay that way dealing with this endeavor. I've done MANY individual endeavors that took mental toughness. And I have failed also. But, the "Nothing seems to be working good for me now!", statement... I think your doing GREAT!!!! Stay strong... AND KEEP POSTING!!!!! Please DON'T let personal problems get into the progress you've made on this endeavor. Best wishes buddy.... Your "quit smoking friend".... Brad

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I so respect what your doing..good for you!
Remember to not avoid any feelings, thoughts or situations..all addictions are an attempt in the moment to avoid!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
By saying nothing seems to be working,I think means nothing. No weaning or scheduling . Just plain not smoking is nothing but not smoking. It is no longer a thing!
You da man Muddyhanz.:notworthy:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once your not smoking, you find out what was beneath it..

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well... where's our non-smoking update? Almost 2 weeks right? Earth to Muddy... come in Muddy... hello?

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still around and it's been 18 Days since I've last had a smoke.
a few more days and it will be 3 weeks which will be an important milestone for me.
Thanks for the support friends!:thumbsup:
Over the years, I used to think that I would have to use my will to quit and yet the book says different......

"Any psychologist will tell you that there is no such thing as willpower!"
"Willpower is simply a set of habits; that is, a well-grooved neural pattern which has been established by your wants, or likes and dislikes.
In general, you do what you do because it is what you want to do!
A man scales a difficult mountain because he likes mountain climbing, or loves acclaim, or is a natural explorer."

There's a few other examples in the book and I started to think about myself and how extreme my "willpower" is with metal detecting.
I will go through hell......miles of hiking, bush-crashing, swamps, crazy weather, bugs, long hours....you name it!
Relentless; not giving in. All for treasure hunting.
Why? Because I WANT TO!
Same with smoking. I would never be without. If I had no money and ran out of smokes, I would go and sell something so that I could buy another pack.
I would walk through a snowstorm to get those cigarettes. Anything!
Is willpower and being stubborn the same thing? :laughing7:

Now the tables have turned and I'm just as stubborn to NOT SMOKE!
There's more of me that wants, desires, needs to quit (and stay that way) than there is that wants to smoke again.
This is the one time I can be proud to call myself a quitter!
Happy hunting.
Dave.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATULATIONS! You are a wise man!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Muddyhandz is a big o quitter!Muddyhandz is a big o quitter!

furries-05.png

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once your not smoking, you find out what was beneath it..

Well, initially I started out of the typical school peer pressure like most do.
Once tobacco got its hooks into me, many aspects of my life revolved around it.
It became a safety net (even though it's not very safe!) and I relied on smoking for many things.
When I felt insecure, emotional, or stressed, I went right for that pack.
I used it to "pass time" or even as a reward for accomplishing a task. (10 more minutes of work and I'll take a smoke break.)
Instead of just enjoying a meal, drink, sex, or conversation on its own, (to name a few) I HAD to have a cigarette right after.
I even convinced myself that I could never fall asleep, metal detect, or have a bowel movement without it. (last part is too much information! Lol)
There's a lot I could write here but I don't think it matters much anymore.
It was simply a bad habit that took hold of my life and it doesn't seem that important anymore as to WHY I smoked.
All that matters right now is that I DO NOT smoke ever again! :headbang:
No doubt, I will look at it on a deeper level for years to come.
Thank you for your post!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Muddy,

In 1986 I ran and walked over a marathon a day for 6 weeks for charity with 3 lads in wheel chairs. Will power is not required if you truly ( and that's the important word) want to do something, quitting is easy both ways either smoking or quitting for the 18 days. You just have a simple choice " smoke or don't smoke" presently you are doing great, keep it up and stay the course as the right sort of quitter......

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've got the hardest part behind you. It's all just a matter of not letting your mind dwell on 'how nice it would be to have just one'. I went through that several times. I truly believe that you're past that point though. I believe you've 'got it made' now! Congratulations!!!
As for the 'no such thing as will power': What's the difference between the two 'descriptions'? To me they are basically the same thing. lol

OP
OP
Muddyhandz

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texasred, you're right, they do both sound the same. I think that when one uses a term like willpower, it kind of puts pressure on us.
Sometimes it feels like willpower is something outside of ourselves. Something we have problems accessing when we need it.
I have telepathy powers but I don't access them at will.
The psychic ability only seems to be random. It is difficult to will it at any given moment.
I'll try another angle. I'm able to walk many miles, lift hundreds of pounds, and work my body to the limit......
IF there's a purpose behind it all but try to exercise at the gym just for the sake of exercising, and my brain can't handle it!
It's tough to trick my mind to allow me to stand there pumping iron on a routine schedule but when it comes to work or a specific task....I can go all day!!!!
I love metal detecting and I will do ANYTHING for that passion. Yes, anything! :laughing7:
The desire to not smoke anymore, wasn't enough to "will" myself to quit.
I had to trick my mind by writing lists, changing patterns, exposing my vulnerabilities, etc.
It wasn't merely "willing" myself to quit. It was more like a chess match. I made enough right moves that it became possible to finally quit.
What's keeping me faithful to this resolution is not willpower.
Anytime the desire to smoke comes up in my head, the rest of me bombards this notion with all reasons I've established from that chess game.
The cravings have been beaten. They can no longer win! There's also something else that has been accessed.....
Notice how many people quit smoking after the doctor tells them they'll be dead real soon if they don't?
Or if some major disaster occurs, we push our bodies and minds beyond what we thought we were capable of?
I don't see this as willpower that we now have accessed but rather, an instinctive survival mechanism that is ingrained within our genetic make-up.
:dontknow: Just my thoughts!
Whatever you call it.......I've now been smoke free for 19 days! :goldtrophy:
Thanks!
Have a great day!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great explanation Muddy... I understand your opinion. I used to do a lot of physical endeavors at a very high level and people used to say "You won by sheer will power". I'd like to think that in the heat of the moment I found reason's NOT TO LOSE. But I do understand Texasred777's statement. Your explanation (if I'm right) means you can't turn will power on or off. But on the other hand when your under pressure you'll draw from experience to overtake the mental or physical task at hand.

When this is observed by others of someone doing a hard task (and winning) it does come across by those observing as the person utilizing "their will power". But I totally understand your statement. That's the difference between those observing and the person doing the task. Glad you staying strong buddy... keep going!!!!! "Will power" or "survival mechanism"... JUST DO IT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread