I DONT BELIEVE IT****

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I DON'T BELIEVE IT****

There was a guy on TV from the Forrest Service. He was showing how, in the lab they were burning things to determine what fueled forest fires. I would have told him for free, trees!
Just think, if they would lease areas to the lumber industry, it would produce lumber, jobs, and exports, and there would be fewer roasted spotted owls to boot! lol
Frank...-
111-1 profile.jpg PS: Saw a rerun of the fire tests, noted that ashes were raining down, but no fire extinguisher in sight.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea I never understood why they didn't just go get the lumber and open things up also. Tree huggers I suppose.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because then the lumber companies would be getting rich by harvesting your trees and they would deny you access to your own land because they don't want you interferring with their process. Kinda like the leased land to the rich ranchers. They and their friends will use it but charge you a trespassing fee or keep you out completely.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Because then the lumber companies would be getting rich by harvesting your trees and they would deny you access to your own land because they don't want you interferring with their process. Kinda like the leased land to the rich ranchers. They and their friends will use it but charge you a trespassing fee or keep you out completely.

That's not how the leases work! They harvest the trees on leases and replant new seedlings. The public is not closed out except in active harvesting areas. It's like gold claims. They have exclusive rights to look for gold on the claim, but you can legally cross it.

The lumber companies pay a fee for the leases and are restricted in the amount of harvesting.
It creates jobs puts more money into local markets and creats an export product to help balance the trade deffest. Hay, would you rather see this? Frank...-
6 06-1 Yellowstone 097-1.jpg

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be better for the environment in the long run but it still gets a small group rich off our resources. I've seen ranchers close off public land that they are leasing with signs making the uneducated public think it's all private.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the forest was in the USA and personal property was allowed that land could be owned by someone. We have huge tracts around us owned by loggers and all kinds of businesses. I am sure I could buy it from them if I hit the right lottery.

What am I gonna do? I don't want them on my property. They seem to respect that.

Let me give you the other side. Our county wants to put my land in the middle of a "greenway". They tell me what I can do with my land, and it won't be making money. But my taxes get to stay the same or increase?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am only concerned about squatch habitat. " protect the squatches" !!!!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timber is a fantastic renewable resource, and the logging roads the timber companies build gives everyone access to the land for multiple purposes.

I hate to see a hill clear cut too, but it will grow back, and the fresh brush and saplings create an ideal habitat for wildlife.

Sure some people will make money, but there can be many jobs created and sustained, from the logger to the furniture maker.

Natural resources made this country great, and without mining or logging our nation will suffer.

People first....spotted owls second.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry. The best way to make you suffer is declare a species that covers 11states endangered. Hopefully in oil rich states. Like maybe a grouse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions