****Little known tidbits of info****

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well there are some bits of info that are generally not known. Some have more meaning then others. Feel free to add yours. Frank...-
-Brown rice has more neutrants than white rice, BUT it also has more arsenic.

-The purple martin eats 20k insects a year. That ought to cut down on your mosquito and fly population. Don't have any martins? Sorry about that.

-The alpine swift can stay aloft for nearly 7 months at a time. They eat bugs also.

-The air, about one cubic meter, over a grassy field may contain 100,000 living things, bugs and bacteria. And you thought Mother Nature was clean.

-The bar-headed geese can fly to 24K' migrating over the Himalayas.

Well I guess you didn't know most of these, unless you also read Discover. Frank...-
Cube.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
heres another for you frankn

The bird with the greatest airspeed velocity is the Peregrine Falcon, able to exceed 320 km/h (200 mph) in its hunting dives.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The peanut is not actually a nut, it is a legume, like a bean or a soybean.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The fingerprints of humans and koalas are virtually identical.

Last edited:

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
squirrells sometimes catch and eat birds

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The second mouse gets the cheese.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crows are smart!!
As a group, crows show remarkable examples of intelligence. Natural history books from the 18th century recount an often-repeated, but unproven anecdote of "counting crows" — specifically a crow whose ability to count to five (or four in some versions) is established through a logic trap set by a farmer. Crows and ravens often score very highly on intelligence tests. Certain species top the avian IQ scale. Wild hooded crows in Israel have learned to use bread crumbs for bait-fishing. Crows will engage in a kind of mid-air jousting, or air-"chicken" to establish pecking order. Crows have been found to engage in feats such as sports, tool use, the ability to hide and store food across seasons, episodic-like memory, and the ability to use individual experience in predicting the behavior of environmental conspecifics.

One species, the New Caledonian crow, has also been intensively studied recently because of its ability to manufacture and use tools in the day-to-day search for food. On 5 October 2007, researchers from the University of Oxford, England, presented data acquired by mounting tiny video cameras on the tails of New Caledonian crows. They pluck, smooth and bend twigs and grass stems to procure a variety of foodstuffs.Crows in Queensland, Australia, have learned how to eat the toxic cane toad by flipping the cane toad on its back and violently stabbing the throat where the skin is thinner, allowing the crow to access the non-toxic innards; their long beaks ensure that all of the innards can be removed.

The jackdaw and the European magpie have been found to have a nidopallium approximately the same relative size as the functionally equivalent neocortex in chimpanzees and humans, and significantly larger than is found in the gibbon.

Crows have demonstrated the ability to distinguish individual humans by recognizing facial features.

Evidence also suggests that they are one of the few non-human animals capable of displacement (linguistics) (communicating about things that are happening in a different spatial or temporal location to the here and now).

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took this Wolf spider out of the pool yesterday morning while it was walking across the water. When I got it out I saw it was carrying 1,256 babies on its back +/- 5. Bet ya didn't know I saved 1,257 lives yesterday!!!!!

Attachments

• S6300482.JPG
    S6300482.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 98

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Polar Bears don't eat Penguins.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most people can not multi task ! You can only concentrate on one thing at a time, very fast!
Actually only 2 percent can multi task!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Crows are smart!!
As a group, crows show remarkable examples of intelligence. Natural history books from the 18th century recount an often-repeated, but unproven anecdote of "counting crows" — specifically a crow whose ability to count to five (or four in some versions) is established through a logic trap set by a farmer. Crows and ravens often score very highly on intelligence tests. Certain species top the avian IQ scale. Wild hooded crows in Israel have learned to use bread crumbs for bait-fishing. Crows will engage in a kind of mid-air jousting, or air-"chicken" to establish pecking order. Crows have been found to engage in feats such as sports, tool use, the ability to hide and store food across seasons, episodic-like memory, and the ability to use individual experience in predicting the behavior of environmental conspecifics.

One species, the New Caledonian crow, has also been intensively studied recently because of its ability to manufacture and use tools in the day-to-day search for food. On 5 October 2007, researchers from the University of Oxford, England, presented data acquired by mounting tiny video cameras on the tails of New Caledonian crows. They pluck, smooth and bend twigs and grass stems to procure a variety of foodstuffs.Crows in Queensland, Australia, have learned how to eat the toxic cane toad by flipping the cane toad on its back and violently stabbing the throat where the skin is thinner, allowing the crow to access the non-toxic innards; their long beaks ensure that all of the innards can be removed.

The jackdaw and the European magpie have been found to have a nidopallium approximately the same relative size as the functionally equivalent neocortex in chimpanzees and humans, and significantly larger than is found in the gibbon.

Crows have demonstrated the ability to distinguish individual humans by recognizing facial features.

Evidence also suggests that they are one of the few non-human animals capable of displacement (linguistics) (communicating about things that are happening in a different spatial or temporal location to the here and now).

Oregon, that was fantastic info, but I am an old crow hunter so I will add one more fact.
-Crows post a lookout while the others feed. If you shoot a feeding crow, they will attack the lookout. No I don't hunt any more, lost that killer instinct long ago. Frank...-

It's a raven, I know!
6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 056-1.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
-The largest swarm of locus ever recorded was 300billion in South Africa in 1784, covering an estimated 2,000 sq mi. They ate 600,000 tons of food a day. They were swept out to sea by a storm.
The bodies of the locus that washed up to the shore formed a bank 4' high and 50 mi long. Frank...-
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
-Here it is, the largest known enclosed space in the world, Sarawak Cavern.
2,300' long, 1,300'wide, 230' high. It is larger than Carlsbad Cavern in NM.
10 jumbo jets would fit in it nose to tail. Frank...-
111-1 profileblk.jpg Hay, by the way, that is in Malaysia! see any connection? lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Most people can not multi task ! You can only concentrate on one thing at a time, very fast!

Actually, my reflexes can multi task. When I drop something, I can calculate the speed of the object, the speed of my hand, and distance to intercept in time to catch it. That doesn't work with a dollar bill on edge though. lol 111-2 700.jpg Frank...-

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I took this Wolf spider out of the pool yesterday morning while it was walking across the water. When I got it out I saw it was carrying 1,256 babies on its back +/- 5. Bet ya didn't know I saved 1,257 lives yesterday!!!!!
Holy cow! I thought we were friends!!!!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that's a scarey thought, when you observe all the ppl on the phone, while attempting to drive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions