Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about the grams!

No, this is not another thread about weed! :laughing7:
It’s a bit of a rant meant to educate those who aren’t aware of the dishonest practices big corporations use to deceive the consumer.
I’ll try and disguise my hatred for capitalism because I don’t want this thread deemed as political.
This is something I’ve been aware of for many years but it’s getting so out of hand now, that I don’t trust any products on the shelves at the local supermarket.

Do you pay attention the grams (weight) listed on the packages of the everyday products you purchase?
I will not list brand names for the sake of T-net’s reputation and will call them something similar.

Now, I know y’all are familiar with Rotten Ronnie's Big Sac shrinking smaller year after year and yet it always look big and perfect in the ads.
But what about all those everyday things at the grocery store?
For example, how about that cheesy macaroni Crap-Dinner? Regular Crap-Dinner has like 200 grams in the box but if you want a fancy new flavour or different pasta shapes, the grams shrink by at least 20.

How about the tortilla chips like Mosquitos? Take the original types and shrink the bag by 20 to 60 grams for all the “scoop” shapes or new flavours.

In fact, look at all the bagged, boxed, and canned products and you’ll notice a reduction in weight for a new flavour, style, or shape.

It’s getting annoying as things that were ALWAYS a certain size that I could plan a meal around, are now smaller.
I used to be able to get two side-dish meals out of a bag of french fries but now after filling my small cookie sheet once, it’s not even worth turning the oven on for the remainder a second time.

Once every couple of weeks, I like a certain brand of perogies fried up with onions, garlic, and ham chunks (shhhh, I also use bacon fat) and half of that would be a good portion now and the other half for later.
There’s no longer enough for a second portion as the bag is much smaller in the last year or so.
Speaking of bacon, the 500 gram packages are now 350 but with the same price due to today’s increasing pork prices.
It’s not just grams but also litres (Canadian measurement) as well. Mike Meyer’s ice cream for example, took what was ALWAYS a 2 litre box/tub and shrunk it to 1.89 litres and then lower. I think it’s like 1.6 something now.
They want a fortune for something that’s not even ice cream anymore....it’s all gum!!!!

Anyway, I could go on and on with this and not even scratch the surface.
If you haven’t looked before, I suggest you start looking at the weights of everything at the grocery store. Don’t just let the price decide what you buy as it may not be much of a deal.
The main theme nowadays, is to make you pay more for something that is new without you even noticing. They do this by shrinking the weight.
On regular everyday products, instead of raising the price, they shrink the weight or they do both! :BangHead:
Of course, the “healthier” it is, the more expensive the price will be. Shopping for food nowadays is a frustrating experience!
Keep your eyes open.
Cheers,
Dave.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It started back in the 1970s when they started the "wage & price freeze". If you sold a certain cut of beef for one price, you could not raise the price for any reason.

However, if you could create a "new" cut of beef, you could charge whatever the market would bear.

Back then, a small can of coffee was 1 pound. Well, in order to raise the price, they changed the size to (if memory serves) 13 ounces ... for which you paid the same price or even more than you had been paying for the 1 pound can.

This is what happens when government (sorry, this cannot be non political - but it is not party politics as both sides are guilty) tries to skew inflation numbers.

Never forget, to them (the goobers in Washington) we are the great unwashed and gullible masses who don't notice these things and are unable to understand we are getting ******d.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It started back in the 1970s when they started the "wage & price freeze". If you sold a certain cut of beef for one price, you could not raise the price for any reason.

However, if you could create a "new" cut of beef, you could charge whatever the market would bear.

Back then, a small can of coffee was 1 pound. Well, in order to raise the price, they changed the size to (if memory serves) 13 ounces ... for which you paid the same price or even more than you had been paying for the 1 pound can.

This is what happens when government (sorry, this cannot be non political - but it is not party politics as both sides are guilty) tries to skew inflation numbers.

Never forget, to them (the goobers in Washington) we are the great unwashed and gullible masses who don't notice these things and are unable to understand we are getting ******d.

Good call. Unfortunately, the prices keep going up for raw materials,transport and labor. If they actually raised prices it would be harder to hide the true reason.

It is much easier to shrink the sizes, as most people won't notice. And the ones that do will blame greedy corporations.

And we will never realize that our leadership has done this to us! Heck. They may even threaten the companies with all kinds of catastrophic gov made events if the corp goes public.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, when I was growing up, the coffee came in 1# and 3# cans. I've watched the 3#, 48 oz., shrink to like 33 oz. One brand I used to buy went all the way down to 30.4 oz., if my memory is correct. I've been buying coffee beans ever since that company redesigned their containers and, though they look to be possibly a little bigger, they are instead smaller. Of course, the price was touted to 'remain the same', and the coffee was the same, just a new style (plastic) container. They don't mention that you're getting a smaller amount of coffee.

How many of you are old enough to remember the candy bar that had 3 'humps' representing part of the candy name? It was a nickel. Now it's around 70 cents and I would estimate it weighs about half of what it did. Yep, a nickel for the candy bar and a dime (or maybe only a nickel) for a soda and I had my favorite 'breakfast'. But, of course, at that time the average wage was just less than a buck per hour. I think my parents were being paid like 75 cents per hour at the textile mill; about 1950.

The wage and hour laws are the biggest problem. It seems that when the wage is increased (by law), everything goes up accordingly. It's not a win/win situation; more like a win/lose situation.

I hope this is not too political; if so, just delete it TH.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What about beer,that 11.2 oz. is brewed in Latrobe PA. It is NOT imported anymore,least not around here,doesn't taste the same either Same price!!

GOD Bless

Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions