Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Wrong.

I thought the same thing when I bought them. I remember the halogen bulbs catching curtains on fire back in the 80's or 90's.

I can grab those bulbs after they are on for a while, unlike the standard incandescents. They only get slightly warm - or the ones I purchased anyhow. Can't grab most 60 watt old style incandescents without a bit of heat.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 100 watt Halogen Bulbs I have will burn my fingers if I hold onto them.

Normally when I unscrew a lit one, I do it fast & it isn't terribly bad

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I can cup my hand around the 60 watt ones. Not bad, just about the same as the hot water at the tap.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought everyone knew that a whole raw potato jammed in there, and twist, removes the bulb base.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Potato too.
I thought everyone knew that. :icon_scratch:

Don't try watermelon... won't work (not that I know)... just a thought.
LOL! Sure about that? :laughing7: trust me, it's funny in my head. :laughing7:

I thought everyone knew that a whole raw potato jammed in there, and twist, removes the bulb base.
I had to get a broke jagged edge one outta a lamp once. Worked perfect.
I seem to have a lot of glass shards around my screen room patio, my feet seem to find every one of them. :BangHead:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If I am not mistaken, that halogen will still light, BUT, you will have exposed 120VAC exposed.
Don't try the fruit or veggie removal with the switch on. The juice is water base and will conduct.
I use the halogen for replacements also. The CFL are green base biased which does not work well with my eyes.
I was reading an article about car head lights. It stated that that the LED version only use 70 watts. I am giving serious thought to converting the circuits to 12Vdc and using them. Picture 2 of those lights, on dimmer switches in a room. I could use the 120VAC to charge a battery that would power the lights. I would wind up with more light, but dimmable, much lower cost because that 70Watts is at 12 Vdc. The light would last almost forever and if the power goes out, they will still work. Not that hard to do in my house because all the lights are on separate circuits.
I still have to check on the cost of the led lights. Any one else tried this yet?
111-1 profile.jpg Frank...- five star.png

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread