A Well-Planned Retirement

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
A Well-Planned Retirement

Outside England's Bristol Zoo there is a parking lot for 150 cars and 8 buses. For 25 years, its parking fees were managed by a very pleasant attendant. The fees were £1 for cars ($1.40), £5 for busses (about $7).

Then, one day, after 25 solid years of never missing a day of work, he just didn't show up; so the Zoo Management called the City Council and asked it to send them another parking agent.

The Council did some research and replied that the parking lot was the Zoo's own responsibility. The Zoo advised the Council that the attendant was a City employee.

The City Council responded that the lot attendant had never been on the City payroll.

Meanwhile, sitting in his villa somewhere on the coast of Spain (or some such scenario), is a man who'd apparently had a ticket machine installed completely on his own; and then had simply begun to show up every day, commencing to collect and keep the parking fees, estimated at about $560 per day -- for 25 years. Assuming 7 days a week, this amounts to just over $7 million dollars!

And no one even knows his name.

Coconut_Monkey

Nov 7, 2013
Somewhere Directly above the Center of the Earth
Detector(s) used
Wut9000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an entrepreneur to me! can't find a job? go out and create your own! that's classic equal opportunity, if willing to work hard enough and have the motivation, you can be a billionaire if you are willing to do the work!

CocoNUT.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, if Snopes says it's false, then it probably is; but what a story! Although it would have been theft for this to have been true, we all kinda like to hear of someone pulling off something like this!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, Snoopes.com is a mom and pop company and by all available info found with just 2 employes, David and Barbara Mikkelson (owners) and they have no investigation training...

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
FYI, Snoopes.com is a mom and pop company and by all available info found with just 2 employes, David and Barbara Mikkelson (ownwrs) and they have no investigation training...

That must mean that if you read an article on snopes that provides perfectly cited sources and clearly explains how they reached their conclusion, we should just ignore it?

You know, because they are just a mom & pop outfit so they lose all credibility.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must mean that if you read an article on snopes that provides perfectly cited sources and clearly explains how they reached their conclusion, we should just ignore it?

You know, because they are just a mom & pop outfit so they lose all credibility.

JB i posted true info, they are a 2 person mom and pop business with just the 2 and they do not have any investigation training....

Kindly point out where I said they lose all credibility. .....

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
JB i posted true info, they are a 2 person mom and pop business with just the 2 and they do not have any investigation training....

Kindly point out where I said they lose all credibility. .....

Im not an idiot and I can read between the lines. What was your intended purpose for posting this "true info"?

I wonder who else likes to spin facts to get a point across, no matter how subtly it is done? I think I saw a "news" channel that does this as the norm.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not an idiot and I can read between the lines. What was your intended purpose for posting this "true info"?

I wonder who else likes to spin facts to get a point across, no matter how subtly it is done? I think I saw a "news" channel that does this as the norm.
The problem with "reading between the lines" is you are usually wrong....

How many people know Snoopes.com is a mom and pop company and neither have any investigation training?

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those who continually "read between the lines" are the ones that only see what they want to....and that is just to question the answer they don't understand or agree with. This also goes for those that depend solely on the internet for their research.....it's helpful, and points up new directions and questions to research, but is unreliable for the most part!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem with "reading between the lines" is you are usually wrong....

How many people know Snoopes.com is a mom and pop company and neither have any investigation training?

What difference does that make?

That "fact" does not discredit ANYTHING that they do.

The problem is that PEOPLE LIKE YOU create problems by spinning "facts" to discredit and/or exploit people's bias when viewing otherwise well researched accurate information.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J B I did not spin anything, I stated facts about Snoops.com that many are not aware of, in fact I did not say a word about their credibility, you did.

Just who are "people like me"?

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Those who continually "read between the lines" are the ones that only see what they want to....and that is just to question the answer they don't understand or agree with. This also goes for those that depend solely on the internet for their research.....it's helpful, and points up new directions and questions to research, but is unreliable for the most part!

I know perfectly well how to research and how to tell good facts and sources from bad and biased sources.

I am MOST CERTAINLY not the one who needs a lesson in this area.

Have you actually read ANY of my posts? All I try to do is show people that they should think twice before instantly believing everything they are told/read. Look at my signature line for crying out loud!

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Touch a nerve did I? You need to learn not to be so easily offended, you feel you can question anyboby and their thoughts with impunity, but you are the last word. Yes I read your posts, and I can see your signature......but like I've said before you need to think and reread your posts prior to posting them, you try to argue emotionally, with your biases, and usually are the one to misunderstand the thoughts and beliefs of other's, and with that you diminish your argument and show you intolerances. Believe and think however you want, that's your right, just stop always saying everyone else is wrong...it's an insult to your intelligence.....Gary

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ben you are not correct in your attack here

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spoiling for a fight are ya?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

??? Pot meet kettle?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The problem with "Snoopies" is they have lied for political purposes.

The simple lie has gone world wide. I don't care if everything else they post is right, I have caught them in a blatant lie. They lose all credibility.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes! Snopes has been wrong in the past. I do believe most of what they say; but it's kinda like Chad stated. Once your caught in an out and out lie, it's hard for people to take what you say as 'fact'. There's always that little doubt in the back of your mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread