May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've been hacked!

YOU HAVE BEEN HACKED! ? Hold Security

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/06/t...billion-stolen-internet-credentials.html?_r=0

A Russian crime ring has amassed the largest known collection of stolen Internet credentials, including 1.2 billion user name and password combinations and more than 500 million email addresses, security researchers say.

The records, discovered by Hold Security, a firm in Milwaukee, include confidential material gathered from 420,000 websites, including household names, and small Internet sites. Hold Security has a history of uncovering significant hacks, including the theft last year of tens of millions of records from Adobe Systems.

While it's unclear if financial records have been breached or not, I'd suggest now is a good time to change your passwords.

Stay healthy.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Changed passwords yesterday when I heard about this - at least the very important ones $$$

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is unsettling about this is the companies that were hacked in this breech will not disclose to the public or its members they were hacked :BangHead:.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, DeepseekerADS, I changed my important ones also. Later today, I may change a lot of my unimportant ones because some of them have been the same for a lot sites for many years. If they had been important sites, I wouldn't have used the same password for a lot of sites.

Thanks, Bum Luck.

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the information, hope that more folks read this.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've continued changing passwords every couple of days since this happened. I keep a little one of those notebooks so I can keep track. I think I'll continue changing passwords frequently in the future - pain in the rear, but otherwise it's only a matter of time these days.

Keep em complex folks, use a mix, at least 10+ characters long (most hackers stop at 8 I read), and throw in characters, upper & lower case, and numbers too - NOTHING which makes common words....

It's not that tough when you get into the habit of doing so. I crept along far too long using the same ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread