Anybody ever find a complete set of coins detecting ?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure where to post something like this, but I was wondering if anybody has ever found a complete run of coins of any type from metal detecting. would probably take a very long time or a lot of luck or both.
I am 9 coins shy of finding all of the mercury dimes, ( excluding errors of course ) most where found in my first 15 years detecting, since back at the start you would find silver no matter where you went in my area.

I do keep them in a safety deposit box so no worries there.
View attachment 1043129
View attachment 1043132
View attachment 1043133
none of the mercs were ever cleaned, aside from rinsing under water.
For Jefferson nickels only one I've not found is a 50d.
those I did clean, since I don't care about their monetary value.

Mike

P.s. to mods, if there is a better place please move it.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally I'd have a heart attack if I just found a coin.... But I did find a "complete" horseshoe last week. Not two halves either. A whole complete shoe. That's the best it gets for me.

If I find the 50D Jefferson I'll contact ya.... :tongue3:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Keep looking for those other halves ...

A friend once found half of a V-nickle while searching one property, and he found the other half while searching another property. The two halves matched perfectly. Both had been put on necklaces apparently as they both had holes drilled at the top of the Vs

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep looking for those other halves ...

A friend once found half of a V-nickle while searching one property, and he found the other half while searching another property. The two halves matched perfectly. Both had been put on necklaces apparently as they both had holes drilled at the top of the Vs

Holy cow!! being a lover of odds and mathematics, I'll have to do some serious number crunching to put the odds on that Chadeaux!!..that's amazing!
for numbers, I'd think finding those two halves of a coin in different locations would be the equivalent of finding a needle in a pile of identical needles the size of a cricket pitch lol..
Please congratulate your friend for me, that really is amazing.

Reminds about the story of a forest service ranger I once read about, over like twenty something years this man was struck by lightning 3 times in the head and lived through all of them...think of those odds! 3⋅310⋅x2⋅y−3=910⋅x2⋅1y3 or six to the twentieth power or 3.6561584e+15

Now I once tried to do the math on something for odds...I could NOT do it. was a woman in the 1950's in Alabama that was sitting in her living room when a meteorite crashed through her roof and cracked her on her noggin! and lived through it!.
if anybody can do that math...lemme know...I'll buy you a beer lol..I bet Mad Machinist could figure it out.

OK I'm spaced out big time..got some monthly shots this morning...joy..Not.

Mike

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok Mike math this.... Missouri pond / lake 2 acres in size. The pond was stocked with largemouth bass and tons of feeder fish for 10 years. It was not fished until Dale Joseph told my Grandpa..."Let the boys go back and catch some bass." And boy did we catch some LARGE bass. Some were 6-8+ lbs. and most were 3-5 lbs.

I "borrowed" (took) my Grandpa's purple night crawler harness from his tackle box to use. One the first cast I hooked a huge largemouth. After about 4-5 minutes and close to shore the line broke right at the swivel. About 1hr. later and almost dark I had moved to the other end of the pond / lake. I hooked a huge largemouth again. This time I got it to shore. After we got home and started to clean the 6bass we kept I discovered the LARGEST bass I last caught had THE purple night crawler harness caught in its throat. I just couldn't believe it.... I even ratted myself out to Grandpa.... :occasion14:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice collection mike!And I thought my collection was nice. I didn't find most of mine thow.There is a old man that lives in west VA that owns a little country store.When I was a kid he would sell me a roll of mercs for thirty dollars.Of course most of the dates where the same,but I would imagine that would be a steal these days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread