OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I napalmed it last night!!!

Got my laptop set up here yesterday, so now I have the internet here.

I watched nest off and on for several hours watching for entry points. Then right about the time it was really getting dark, had to get my vision acclimated, watched the nest again and none of them entering the big hole. Also had noticed some were flying in other spots. When none were active I went up with about a quart of gasoline. Poured a goodly portion in the main hole and the rest in the areas where I saw bees disappearing. Hit it with a match and walked away to watch. As the grass burned away I saw the 11 total holes. There'd be little flame funnels blowing out of them.

The parts I really liked was about 90 minutes later the burned grass perimeter was mostly burned out. The big hole's flames finally went out, and them little holes would stop, flame up, stop. I really liked it then because every five minutes or so, the big hole would pop out a big flame! I figured it was the fire reaching new charmbers, or more little body's popping in groups :)

Really liked that part.

It has been many years since close attention has been paid this lawn. I figure that nest could have been 10 or more years old.

Thus, I go in battle :) Entertainment!!! That fire last night was as fun as TV Westerns!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I got my SS check today!!!!!!! Deep, try napalm8-)

I haven't applied yet. Read that you can't draw until the first month you make less than $1200. Got last paycheck + some other payments for unused vacation time. I'll sign up Oct. 1st. How long did it take you to get your 1st check?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually takes 2 months and has nothing to do with your checks, I applied to be able to draw my1st month SS check on 1st month after my 66th birthday.

You can apply online too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can continue to work full time making as much as you want and you are still eligible to draw SS on the 1st month after your 66th birthday with no penalties just be sure you remember your SS is to taxable income if you go over approx $35k a year.... I am going to have additional 20% held out for taxes if I work after 66 just to cover it...

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't wait to 66. I knew about the 66 rules, and originally planned to do that. But other things came up healthwise.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I signed up last Nov. for Feb 1 retirement date....my 62nd birthday fell on the 4th Wed of Jan, and I got my ist check 60 day's later....it goes by your birthday not checks, and even taking early I can earn up to 14,000 per year.......since you are already over 62( I wasn't when I applied), you can apply any time....Gary

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't wait to 66. I knew about the 66 rules, and originally planned to do that. But other things came up healthwise.

Sorry, not sure of question then, SS admin will accept an app when filer is 61 years 9 months old. Takes 2-3 months for processing before 1st check.

The monthly payment date will depend on your birth date. If you were born between the first and 10th of the month, you'll be paid on the second Wednesday of the month. Birthdays between the 11th and 20th mean payment on the third Wednesday of the month, and birthdays between the 21st and the 31st are paid on the fourth Wednesday of the month.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I napalmed it last night!!!

Got my laptop set up here yesterday, so now I have the internet here.

I watched nest off and on for several hours watching for entry points. Then right about the time it was really getting dark, had to get my vision acclimated, watched the nest again and none of them entering the big hole. Also had noticed some were flying in other spots. When none were active I went up with about a quart of gasoline. Poured a goodly portion in the main hole and the rest in the areas where I saw bees disappearing. Hit it with a match and walked away to watch. As the grass burned away I saw the 11 total holes. There'd be little flame funnels blowing out of them.

The parts I really liked was about 90 minutes later the burned grass perimeter was mostly burned out. The big hole's flames finally went out, and them little holes would stop, flame up, stop. I really liked it then because every five minutes or so, the big hole would pop out a big flame! I figured it was the fire reaching new charmbers, or more little body's popping in groups :)

Really liked that part.

It has been many years since close attention has been paid this lawn. I figure that nest could have been 10 or more years old.

Thus, I go in battle :) Entertainment!!! That fire last night was as fun as TV Westerns!

LOL! ROFL! Spilling my coffee! DANG!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DEEPSEEKER; Congrats. Best Wishes. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
NOW! Dig those burned out holes for COPPER! HH! Good Luck!

I'm going to have to burn it again looks like. That plus the pan of water & sugar. May wait till cold here in a few weeks to burn it, get 'em all inside. And I gotta figure out if there's more entry holes. There were just too many flying around yesterday, or there's another big related nest.

This yellow jacket saga is becoming a new hobby!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Alas, retirement comes with my first ever case of poison oak, I'm breaking out all over with welts.....

Anyone want to meet and shake hands?

NOT!!!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I had that crap when I lived in the Smokys,worse than poison ivy.

Darned hard to like that Chris! When I was a kid I could rub that all over me and watch my brother get it, and I didn't. I guess this is payback! I should start a new thread, Chronicles of the Retired, or Adventures in the Wilderness.... Now, next Spring after about 40 years of subscriptions to Mother Earth News, I was figuring on feeding myself and being self sufficient! We'll see how that goes...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I'm going to have to burn it again looks like. That plus the pan of water & sugar. May wait till cold here in a few weeks to burn it, get 'em all inside. And I gotta figure out if there's more entry holes. There were just too many flying around yesterday, or there's another big related nest.

This yellow jacket saga is becoming a new hobby!

Yes, wait for COLD/FREEZING weather; pour kerosene down "entry holes"; "top" it off with BIG flat rock... let it freeze over winter. Check in SPRING, 2015; heard/read that YJ are attracted to COPPER ORE "sites"... (worked for USDA, back in 1973-74); if NO bees in Spring, then MAYBE COPPER is on your land! HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
heard/read that YJ are attracted to COPPER ORE "sites"... (worked for USDA, back in 1973-74); if NO bees in Spring, then MAYBE COPPER is on your land! HH! Good Luck!

Reckon it's arthritis that makes them yellow jackets so cranky? Maybe they're down there making tiny copper bracelets . . .

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yes, wait for COLD/FREEZING weather; pour kerosene down "entry holes"; "top" it off with BIG flat rock... let it freeze over winter. Check in SPRING, 2015; heard/read that YJ are attracted to COPPER ORE "sites"... (worked for USDA, back in 1973-74); if NO bees in Spring, then MAYBE COPPER is on your land! HH! Good Luck!

Ernie, the "Bug Guy" in my "office" at USDA had BUGS "mounted up" in his office told me this; was EXPERT! He ALSO knew about the geology of the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia... about GOLD, SILVER, & COPPER "veins". I was "in charge" of the Skyline Drive (Shenandoah National Park) & Blue Ridge Parkway, down to Roanoke Valley... it was WONDERFUL! BTW, my "office" was the coffee pot; was "on-the-road", majority of the time...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread